Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Damp drivers footwell

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
BMWPAUL1971

Damp drivers footwell

Post by BMWPAUL1971 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:58 pm

Hi.
Been getting condensation but just put it down to it being a convertible.
But, checked the carpet and the top of the drivers footwell under the pedals and it is slightly damp.
What can I check please guys

Thanks

Marcoose

Damp drivers footwell

Post by Marcoose » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:51 am

Silly question. Has it been raining in your area ? Storms or sprinkling ? Or do you park outside ?
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

BMWPAUL1971

Damp drivers footwell

Post by BMWPAUL1971 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 am

No it's been like this a while.
Parking outside lol. Yes, it's not garaged

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Damp drivers footwell

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am

Check ALL rubber seals. There are miles of them. Check them for 'crustiness' or baked on dirt and grime.
Give ALL seals a good going over with a silicone-based rubber and vinyl care product, Gummi Pflege is considered the best. This should soften the rubber, waterproof it better and make it more pliable which helps it seal better.

Also check the roof is closing tight against the windscreen seal all along it's length.

If the footwell is wet, chances are water is coming in either from the top windscreen/ roof seal and running inside the A pillar, or through the door/window seal and running down inside the door.

It has been known for water to come in from underneath aswell. Lift the carpets and check.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Marcoose

Damp drivers footwell

Post by Marcoose » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:29 pm

BMWPAUL1971 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 am No it's been like this a while.
Parking outside lol. Yes, it's not garaged
Has it been raining lately ? Or has it been bone dry for months ? Do you get heavy dew every morning ?

I'm trying to eliminate a couple of possibilities.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

BMWPAUL1971

Damp drivers footwell

Post by BMWPAUL1971 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am Check ALL rubber seals. There are miles of them. Check them for 'crustiness' or baked on dirt and grime.
Give ALL seals a good going over with a silicone-based rubber and vinyl care product, Gummi Pflege is considered the best. This should soften the rubber, waterproof it better and make it more pliable which helps it seal better.

Also check the roof is closing tight against the windscreen seal all along it's length.

If the footwell is wet, chances are water is coming in either from the top windscreen/ roof seal and running inside the A pillar, or through the door/window seal and running down inside the door.

It has been known for water to come in from underneath aswell. Lift the carpets and check.
Brilliant thanks buddy. I did the boot seals with gummi fledge but can't remember if I did the door seals. What about the scuttle drain points and door drain points?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Damp drivers footwell

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm

It could just be previously ignorant ownership too.
When I recently purchased our latest E89 it had a boot full of water and water was dripping from the windscreen seal. I thought the worst, but after drying it all out and treating all the seals there has been no leaks since.
I put it down to an ignorant previous owner who didn't know about keeping the seals 'fed' and cleaning it with a pressure washer. A pressure washer will force water through even the best of weather seals on an E89.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!