Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problem with comfort access after replacing the door lock with a non-original one.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Aleks Mys

Problem with comfort access after replacing the door lock with a non-original one.

Post by Aleks Mys » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm

Hello.

I drive a BMW Z4 2003 with M54B30.
Not long ago I had problems opening a door using the door handle both from the inside and from the outside. I replaced the door mechanism with an aftermarket part (RIDEX 1361D0080) that looks exactly the same as the original.
After installation, I encountered an unpleasant fact.
The car has a "comfort access" function, where when open the door, the windows lower slightly and when close the doors, window rise back. But after installing the lock, the window goes down and does not rise again, as if the new lock tells the window “the door is not closed.” If I disconnect the lock, the window rises. I think the problem is that the lock is defective, but before asking for a replacement, I would like to clarify - is it necessary to undergo some kind of coding after reinstalling the window lock?

P.S. When I connect the old lock the window works as it should. I understand that this is the answer to my question, but maybe there are hidden coding's in the brains of BMW engineers.
P.S.S. I initialized the window position using various guides described on this forum, but it did not help me.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm

Have you tried a reset.
So get in shut the door. Hold the window button down till it reaches the bottom. Then hold for 10 seconds.
And repeat the same process going up.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

Aleks Mys

Post by Aleks Mys » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:27 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm Have you tried a reset.
So get in shut the door. Hold the window button down till it reaches the bottom. Then hold for 10 seconds.
And repeat the same process going up.
Yes, but the problem is that when the window goes up, it does not stay in the maximum upper position, but stops and immediately drops half a centimeter. And this whole operation with reset unfortunately seems to make no sense (I tried 3 different reset methods found on the forum, they mainly differed in the length of the wait, some required pressing the button multiple times within a period of time). I'm guessing the problem is either the lock itself or some hidden coding I have to do.

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:36 pm

They don’t need coding so it’s a problem with the part you have fitted
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm

I've never heard of this issue before and can't help you with it.

However, your issue may/may not cause other unexpected problems. In that, the windows are part of the convertible top operation, they drop a little when you push top down. In the past I and others have responded to posters who advise their convertible tops are not working and there are no problem lights on the control panel. Generally, one of the most common advice given is to reset their windows and this solves a great number of these problems. I do not know if you window issue will prevent your top from working. However, I'd check now to determine if the top will open and more importantly, close.

Aleks Mys

Post by Aleks Mys » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:06 pm

Jas- USA wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:58 pm I've never heard of this issue before and can't help you with it.

However, your issue may/may not cause other unexpected problems. In that, the windows are part of the convertible top operation, they drop a little when you push top down. In the past I and others have responded to posters who advise their convertible tops are not working and there are no problem lights on the control panel. Generally, one of the most common advice given is to reset their windows and this solves a great number of these problems. I do not know if you window issue will prevent your top from working. However, I'd check now to determine if the top will open and more importantly, close.
Thank you for response.
Do not worry. My soft top is not working right now. It had a broken wire at the bend in the roof, I found it but haven't repaired it yet.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:23 pm

Yea, I just wanted to give you a heads-up on this so you wouldn't end up caught with the top down with no way of putting it back up.

wishing you luck on your original issue.