Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Please help me with the D@#N Radiator drain plug

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Homebrw

Post by Homebrw » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 pm

Normally I can do most jobs on cars. I'm pretty handy working on cars, bikes, gas powered equipment, pinball machines, jukeboxes, home improvement, woodworking, etc. i've changed rad coolant many times. But I've never worked on a German car...and certainly not with a D@#$ PLASTIC drain plug.

I'm going crazy. I'm on my 4th plastic drain plug (ordered). So the first 2 and likely 3rd are on me. I should have used the blue plastic screw. I tried to unscrew the first one and obviously broke the two ears for keying and the tabs. Ok. Lesson learned. Ordered a new one and couldn't get it to go in...I thought perhaps the tabs were too thick and trimmed a few thousandths off the plastic ears (90° tabs) as well as the ramp tabs. Come to find out the ear from plug #1 was blocking the slot, so the trimming of number 2 caused a leak. That's on me too. I put back in number 1 which doesn't leak, but I wouldn't trust it under pressure either. I got number 3 tonight and tried for 30 mins to get it to seat. Nothing was working. I barely trimmed just one of the ramp tabs as that was causing interference and not allowing it to seat, and finally it went in, but leaked! Went to pull it out and broke a 90° tab as I twisted 5° too much. Arrrgh. I'm so frustrated. Number 1 back in to stop the leak and back in the garage while I wait for number 4 to arrive in two days.

What am I missing? (yes, I won't trim the 4th one)! There has to be trick to get it to go in. It's keyed, but no matter how I tried I couldn't get it to go in without trimming the ramp tab offset of the 90° ears due to interference.

Please help a guy who's turned wrenches on British muscle, American muscle and Japanese muscle, but never German muscle cars.

Thanks,
Chris 2006 Z4MR

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:40 pm

mate are you removing the whole plastic component? If we have the same blue drain plug, there's a hex portion at the base of the plug if I remember correctly, and a Philips ingress at the bottom. The bottom part is the only part you need to remove. If you are already doing that though then I am not sure how else to help you
3.0i z4, every aero mod on the planet, stage 3 intake swap + tune. Remember guys, you can't fail if you don't try. :thumbsup:

Homebrw

Post by Homebrw » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. It was too late. I had already bodged it! I learnt too late that all I needed to remove was the hex thread d blue insert! Expensive lesson.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:16 pm

Homebrw wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:44 pm Thanks for the reply. It was too late. I had already bodged it! I learnt too late that all I needed to remove was the hex thread d blue insert! Expensive lesson.
I never trust those drains. Always pop the lowest hose off.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Homebrw

Post by Homebrw » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 pm

^Good advice for next time.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:32 pm

Homebrw wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 pm ^Good advice for next time.
Yeah, sorry. I’m awesome after the event :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: