Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by colb » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:57 am

Passenger window not working so pulled the GM5 module and replaced it with a compatible used replacement which got the window working up and down however central locking failed to work. Changed out the module for another compatible module and windows still working but central locking only worked from centre console button, had a go at syncing the key but that failed to take probably because I didn't do it right. Car locks/unlocks with key in door lock so suspect its a key sync issue.
Main question is in relation to original failed module, can the window relays on the pcb be changed by those repairing these they all mention the locking relays but nothing about the window relays.
Have sent owner instructions on how to Sync the keys so he will have another go.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am

Sounds a bit of a daft answer but I think I would look on eBay for the people that fix the locking relays and ask them. Can’t find it here but home tomorrow
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by bigwinn » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 am

If I recall correctly when I’ve sent my gm5 off for fixing they state that they test all functions and if any fail they replace the corresponding relays

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 am

bigwinn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 am If I recall correctly when I’ve sent my gm5 off for fixing they state that they test all functions and if any fail they replace the corresponding relays
As I mentioned elsewhere, with various modules failing, it is time now to keep those failed modules, clearly labelled, as eventually supply will dwindle and we will those to be repaired.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by bigwinn » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 am
bigwinn wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 am If I recall correctly when I’ve sent my gm5 off for fixing they state that they test all functions and if any fail they replace the corresponding relays
As I mentioned elsewhere, with various modules failing, it is time now to keep those failed modules, clearly labelled, as eventually supply will dwindle and we will those to be repaired.
Or I need to learn how to repair them

The relays are pence!!!

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by bigwinn » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:46 am

Well they aren’t pence

But for £20
I’ve just bought 4 relays so will give a repair a go

Looks easy enough

EWS Delete PM me

toledo

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by toledo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:10 pm

colb wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:57 am Passenger window not working so pulled the GM5 module and replaced it with a compatible used replacement which got the window working up and down however central locking failed to work. Changed out the module for another compatible module and windows still working but central locking only worked from centre console button, had a go at syncing the key but that failed to take probably because I didn't do it right. Car locks/unlocks with key in door lock so suspect its a key sync issue.
Main question is in relation to original failed module, can the window relays on the pcb be changed by those repairing these they all mention the locking relays but nothing about the window relays.
Have sent owner instructions on how to Sync the keys so he will have another go.
I recently had similar problems with my Alpina. The voltage regulator failed and the car started throwing a huge fit with a Christmas tree of warning lights on the dash, power steering coming and going, heated seats and radio not working etc. Anyway, during said fit I made the mistake of lowering the driver’s window slightly only to discover that when I pressed the switch to close it, it just kept opening more until it was all the way open and nothing I did could make it come back up. I got a new voltage regulator and had the alternator refurbished which fixed all problems with the exception of the window. Having tested the switch and the window motor I knew it must be the GM5 module so contacted Merv at Autoelectron who tested and replaced the window relays on the original GM5 module which fixed the problem. Turnaround was very quick and he’s a top man. Highly recommended - 07788 922927

colb

GM5 Module on an Alpina

Post by colb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Update on the Alpina GM5 module.
Temporary replacement module fitted whilst original sent off to Mervyn in Harrogate who advertises on ebay for repairs. Quick to ring the owner with an update that there were two blown microprocessors on the board not the relays that control the window and by chance had some replacements in stock so a repair could be carried out. Module arrived back today and it was fitted to the car this afternoon after the battery was disconnected. Plugged back in and battery reconnected windows all worked ok, central locking from key fob also worked from one of the keys but not the other suspect the key battery may be flat so going to charge overnight on a toothbrush charger to see if it revives. All other functions controlled by the GM5 tested and working. If non working key doesn't recover then both keys will be synced using the finger dance process, owner supplied with instructions on methods to use.
Finished off with a Health Scan on all modules and a few power related codes cleared, emailed the Launch report for the owner. No sign of any code for the EML he had come up after the first visit other than a fuel issue on Bank1 which may be down to an air leak which may need further investigation and a smoke test.
Link to Mervyns repair ad here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273995673541 ... R8qi0d7QYw
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url