Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Protool CDChsnger coding

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
simnew

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by simnew » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 am

Hi all,

I am looking to install the Mr12volt MMI system over the summer and wanted to understand if Bimmergeeks Protool is a good way to add the CD multichanger to the car. I assume this is a kind of VO coding or is it simply changing an ECU parameter from inactive to active ?

I believe Protool is very capable in this area although the version of CIC idrive I have is very early. My version only accepts maps from DVDs for example and the maps in my car are all from 2008 !

Looking forward to CarPlay as I think it will improve the hands free phone quality in the car as it will use the iPhones capability rather than the more basic BMW Bluetooth which doesn’t sound great if I am honest…

Would be great to hear your experience of this….

AnubisZed

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 pm

You still need to have 672 (CDC) put into the VO in CAS, NFRM and CIC for it to recognise that there is another position other than the built-in single CD option. Yes Protool can do this, apparently, but don't ask me as I'm not into Protool.
It will also change the CDC_CHANGER_3, if required, but if you do the VO change before installing the box then the box "should" do this automatically without the need to change any perameters within the CIC coding.
BUT..... the way the current cabling works measn that you can't do coding to the headunit once the MMI is installed. So I'd recommend doing the VO coding first, then go into the CIC coding and change the CDC_CHANGER_3 seting BEFORE installing the box anyway, that way it'll definately work once installed.... if that all makes sense. :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

fatbaldboy

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by fatbaldboy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 am

My coding was there from factory despite not having a cd changer installed

Enter your VIN here to see what coding you have
https://www.mdecoder.com
E89 35i DCT (2009)
Located mainly in SE London and occasionally Hastings

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:23 am

fatbaldboy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 am My coding was there from factory despite not having a cd changer installed

Enter your VIN here to see what coding you have
https://www.mdecoder.com
Some do…some don’t..my 2012 and 2011 E89s did..a 2015 one didn’t..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

matsmith749

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:28 am

And to just to muddy the waters further - this only applies to the older model years in the e89 range.

I'm not certain when the cutoff was, but for model year 2016 (for certain) there is no such thing as a CD changer anywhere in the options. You cannot code it in, you cannot order it. It's no longer a thing.

The good news is that you also do not need to code anything when adding a Mr12 volt MMI - it just works if you have a late model year e89.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

AnubisZed

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:36 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:28 am....
The good news is that you also do not need to code anything when adding a Mr12 volt MMI - it just works if you have a late model year e89.
Not saying you're wrong, but can't see how this would work. Reasoning....
The Mr12volt box works on the principle that it takes up one of the CDC disc locations. This allows the headunit to know there is a difference between the built-in single CD/DVD drive and the optional 6 disc player. Without this knowledge how would it know to switch over for the Mr12volt input?

I also can't see that BMW would have made any coding differences to the later CIC units as they were only available for the E89 after 2013. It wouldn't make sense to alter the firmware for its last year. I can, however, see them deleting the option of the CDC as we were well into music streaming by then, but then what about the DVDC as there wasn't another multiple option for video sources.
Just my thoughts, I could be completely wrong, not had the opportunity to fit a 2016 with mmi yet.
Dave

matsmith749

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 pm

I hear all you are saying - it got me in a right mixup when I was in the planning & prep stages for my Mr12 volt install.

However - all I can say is that I have done it & no coding was needed to the VO or Cd changer. I did verify online that the Cd changer was not even a possible option on my car (but no idea what year they stopped allowing it).

Others with late year cars have done the same.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:43 pm

I’m not sure I stated it correctly..but the CIC from a 2015 E89 did not have the relevant mp3 coded on..I coded it in.,after unplugging the MMI..

The CICs in my 2011 and 2012 MY cars did not need the mp3 touching..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

AnubisZed

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:09 pm

Hang-on, are we talking about the same thing here?
There is the coding of 672 (CDC) and there is the alteration of the parameters of the CIC for MP3 playback, two different things.

If you don't have 672 CDC (or 694 CDC Prep, this includes a connector to hook up to the CDC unit although nothing else is fitted) then this needs to be coded to the VO of the car.
The coding of the parameter for CDMM_CHANGER_3 is either already there (depending on equipment level) or needs to be changed to MP3, BUT the Mr12volt MMI box does change this setting on initial start up. So, if it already had, for example, 694 coded in then once the Mr12volt box was fully installed then it would automatically change the setting of CDMM_CHANGER_3 from "cdc_vorbereitung" to "mp3_cdc". So in theory, you wouldn't need to do anything and it would look like it didn't need coding. But these settings may be there already anyway :?
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:09 pm Hang-on, are we talking about the same thing here?
There is the coding of 672 (CDC) and there is the alteration of the parameters of the CIC for MP3 playback, two different things.

If you don't have 672 CDC (or 694 CDC Prep, this includes a connector to hook up to the CDC unit although nothing else is fitted) then this needs to be coded to the VO of the car.
The coding of the parameter for CDMM_CHANGER_3 is either already there (depending on equipment level) or needs to be changed to MP3, BUT the Mr12volt MMI box does change this setting on initial start up. So, if it already had, for example, 694 coded in then once the Mr12volt box was fully installed then it would automatically change the setting of CDMM_CHANGER_3 from "cdc_vorbereitung" to "mp3_cdc". So in theory, you wouldn't need to do anything and it would look like it didn't need coding. But these settings may be there already anyway :?
On my 2015 box I needed to unplug it from the MMI box, manually code the mp3 bit then replug it in..that’s despite the VO CAS etc saying I had the 6 cd support option ..

AnubisZed

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:06 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm On my 2015 box I needed to unplug it from the MMI box, manually code the mp3 bit then replug it in..that’s despite the VO CAS etc saying I had the 6 cd support option ..
For this possible reason I make sure all of the coding is done before I install, saves messing around later :thumbsup:
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Protool CDChsnger coding

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:06 pm
B21 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm On my 2015 box I needed to unplug it from the MMI box, manually code the mp3 bit then replug it in..that’s despite the VO CAS etc saying I had the 6 cd support option ..
For this possible reason I make sure all of the coding is done before I install, saves messing around later :thumbsup:
I’m learning that ! :rofl: