Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cd changer

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Steham

Cd changer

Post by Steham » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:33 pm

Ok...I've scratched .y head a lot over this one.
For some reason, not quite sure why, I was to fit the cd changer into the glovebox, as my card apparently has cd changer preparation for it.
I understand that normally there's a little pull tab, and the cd changer normally drops down from the top of the glovebox.
I cannot find the bracketing/trim/glovebox fitment anywhere to be able to install the cd changer in this way.
Can anyone help, or have any ideas please?

Many thanks

Steve

Umfaan

Cd changer

Post by Umfaan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:58 pm

What car ...E85/86, E89, G29 ? :ant:

AnubisZed

Cd changer

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm

Umfaan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:58 pm What car ...E85/86, E89, G29 ? :ant:
As this is the E89 forum, and that is the description of the E89 CDC, then I'd have a random stab in the dark that it's an E89 :thumbsup:
Last edited by AnubisZed on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Cd changer

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:18 pm

Steham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:33 pm Ok...I've scratched .y head a lot over this one.
For some reason, not quite sure why, I was to fit the cd changer into the glovebox, as my card apparently has cd changer preparation for it.
I understand that normally there's a little pull tab, and the cd changer normally drops down from the top of the glovebox.
I cannot find the bracketing/trim/glovebox fitment anywhere to be able to install the cd changer in this way.
Can anyone help, or have any ideas please?

Many thanks

Steve
Do you mean as in you want to retrofit these parts and can't find them on line, or you've looked in your car and you expected to find them?
As for the latter, then you wont. The CDC Prep (VO code 694) meant that the connector plug and wiring are fitted, but that's it.
Parts,
Items 2 & 3 in this diagram
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E89/E ... glove_box/

And the CDC united bracket here...
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E89/E ... r_bracket/

Hope that helps.
Dave

Steham

Cd changer

Post by Steham » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm

Hi Dave,

No, I expect the wiring to be there, but haven't properly looked yet. I have the cd changer, and it came fitted with that bracket you sent the link for...but.....there must be a different bracket for it to "drop down" from the top of the glovebox, which is what I'm sure it's meant to do?

Steve

Steham

Cd changer

Post by Steham » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:05 pm

Ahhh sorry Dave, didn't see the first link....I have the metal bracket, but need the actual glovebox bits....that's great, Many thanks 👍🏼

Steve

AnubisZed

Cd changer

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 pm

Steham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm Hi Dave,

No, I expect the wiring to be there, but haven't properly looked yet. I have the cd changer, and it came fitted with that bracket you sent the link for...but.....there must be a different bracket for it to "drop down" from the top of the glovebox, which is what I'm sure it's meant to do?

Steve
You need the specific glovebox, that's the parts 2 & 3 in the first link :thumbsup: EDIT** I see you've seen that

When you find the plug coupler, behind/above the glovebox, you'll notice that there is no fibre optic installed in it. This is attached to the end panel in a loop order. You'll need a different fitting to install this into the plug to go into the CDC.

Once it's all installed you probably may need to change the VO coding from 694 to 672 so that the headunit knows this is installed.
Dave

Steham

Cd changer

Post by Steham » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Cheers Dave 👍🏼

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Cd changer

Post by B21 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm

Fitting a cd changer in 2024…respect :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Cd changer

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:12 am

B21 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm Fitting a cd changer in 2024…respect :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
I did consider doing it, the issue for me, at the time, was getting hold of the specific glovebox parts. I like OE equipment and this would have been a great, unobtrusive, addition.
I do beleive that the USB memory stick gives a better option for storage space though, and, of course, we now have the option of the Mr12volt mmi box that takes the MOST position of the CDC.
Another option was the dealer fit/retrofit built-in iPod unit. This, again, took the CDC location on the MOST (so an optical digital signal), and had a 30 pin plug in the glovebox. This free'd up the USB/AUX sockets in the centre console and allowed you to have an iPod connected all the time.
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Cd changer

Post by B21 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:59 am

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:12 am
B21 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:40 pm Fitting a cd changer in 2024…respect :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
I did consider doing it, the issue for me, at the time, was getting hold of the specific glovebox parts. I like OE equipment and this would have been a great, unobtrusive, addition.
I do beleive that the USB memory stick gives a better option for storage space though, and, of course, we now have the option of the Mr12volt mmi box that takes the MOST position of the CDC.
Another option was the dealer fit/retrofit built-in iPod unit. This, again, took the CDC location on the MOST (so an optical digital signal), and had a 30 pin plug in the glovebox. This free'd up the USB/AUX sockets in the centre console and allowed you to have an iPod connected all the time.
As a fairly early adopter of CDs back in the early 80s with a Philips CD104 player I still keep most of my purchased music in cd format..

But given streaming and 64gb usb sticks it seems anachronistic to put the proven but old cd 6 pack in..

The number of CDs I lost when returning cars with still the 6 pack loaded..

But as we know here..each to their own.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: