Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical issues.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JamieIsf

Electrical issues.

Post by JamieIsf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm

We looked at that the other day and as far as could tell all ok.
Interior is stripped at the moment, so easy to access again - I'll have another look.
2005 E85 - Merlot - Appropriately named 'Ron Burgandy'...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical issues.

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:43 pm

JamieIsf wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm We looked at that the other day and as far as could tell all ok.
Interior is stripped at the moment, so easy to access again - I'll have another look.
Fair enough.
You slave in another one. You will still get the airbag light but everything else should be ok if it is that.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

jamesditchy

Electrical issues.

Post by jamesditchy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 pm

I had very similar issues with mine when I first got it years ago. Mine was a faulty iPod interface, I had the old style apple charging lead in the glovebox, this was plugged into an iPod interface(factory fitted I think) which was located behind the radio. Once i unplugged this module everything cured itself. This is on the canbus circuit so as others have said it is more than likely a corrupt module on that circuit.

Attached is the culprit for me

Jay
Attachments
Screenshot_20240411_175727_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240411_175727_Chrome.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 195 times

JamieIsf

Electrical issues.

Post by JamieIsf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:06 pm

Today's Update!

Progress, we now have most of the components working.
Having done further research on similar issues with the E46, i found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4sQsJ ... %99sGarage

My situation was slightly different as the KBUS was reading ~12v which was why we missed it before.
We then started removing pins and found a culprit, removed and put the others back in - leaving the culprit out for now.

Now have a roof (handy now the sun is out), indicators radio and sat nav. The two issues we are still yet to see are no steering wheel or windscreen washers, so suspect the issue lies with one of those.

Very happy Jamie today!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical issues.

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:18 pm

JamieIsf wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:06 pm Today's Update!

Progress, we now have most of the components working.
Having done further research on similar issues with the E46, i found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4sQsJ ... %99sGarage

My situation was slightly different as the KBUS was reading ~12v which was why we missed it before.
We then started removing pins and found a culprit, removed and put the others back in - leaving the culprit out for now.

Now have a roof (handy now the sun is out), indicators radio and sat nav. The two issues we are still yet to see are no steering wheel or windscreen washers, so suspect the issue lies with one of those.

Very happy Jamie today!
Are you happy enough to tell us which pin (and therefore which module) was your culprit?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

JamieIsf

Electrical issues.

Post by JamieIsf » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 am

No, because I’ve not worked it out yet.

As mentioned above the only two components that don’t work (that I’ve identified) are the steering wheel controls and the windscreen washers. I’ve managed to turn off the airbag light so don’t think it’s the SIM module. A little more investigation required, but getting there.

JamieIsf

Electrical issues.

Post by JamieIsf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:31 pm

Getting there.

Turns out the windsceen washer issues unrelated - that just needed a new motor as failed during it's 'hibernation'.

So blame may well lie with the steering wheel/ buttons on steering wheel as only identified (could be others non-identified) component not working on car.. Will investiagte further.

Hoepfully others having these errors find this useful in future.