Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Member Seeking Advice on Z4 Purchase

First port of call for new members
Yellow46

Post by Yellow46 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:32 am

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to join this community as a new member and enthusiast of BMW Z4s! I'm currently in the market for either an E85 or E89 model and I'm hoping to get some guidance from the experts here.

My budget is in the range of 8-9K, and while I don't have a strong preference between the two models, I'm more concerned about finding the best value for my money. I plan to use the car for daily commuting, clocking in around 8-10k miles per year.

One of my main dilemmas is whether I should prioritize low mileage or a more recent model year. As someone relatively new to the Z4 world, I'm not sure which factors should take precedence. I also have a preference for an automatic transmission, but I'm unsure about its reliability on a second-hand car.

Given my budget, I'm considering whether it's wise to allocate some of the funds towards potential repairs or maintenance that may arise due to the age of the vehicle. Essentially, I'm trying to strike a balance between getting the best car within my budget and ensuring it remains reliable for my daily needs.

Additionally, I'm particularly interested in a 2.0 engine as I've heard that the running costs are lower.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insights you could offer on what to look for when purchasing a Z4 in my situation. Your expertise would be invaluable as I navigate this exciting journey into Z4 ownership.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:01 am

Welcome to the forum.
If you are using a Z4 year-round and it is a daily car, then the later E89 is a lot more practical as it has a 'proper' metal roof.

As for a 2.0 litre, there was only one in the E85, the entry level normally aspirated which is not highly regarded generally.
The E89 2 litre is a turbo and comes in three 'flavours' of power output from the factory.

The one in the link below looks a really good car and is a proper 'forum car'. Auto, 3 litre normally aspirated (N52).
viewtopic.php?t=145788
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Yellow46

Post by Yellow46 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:10 am

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!
I'll check out the link you shared for the 3-liter E89.

Looking forward to learning more from this community!

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:17 pm

Welcome and some sensible thinking ... generally I always try to aim to have a slush fund, nothing worse than throwing your budget at a car then receiving an unexpected bill.

If you are in the car every day the E89 will probably be your best bet, just bear in mind its a fair bit heavier than the E85 so on weekends if you want to chuck a car about and have some spirited driving the E85 is probably the better bet.

There are a few standard common fails to look out for on the 2 litre E89s so do get reading up on them in the section on here. Personally I would be looking for the 30i E89 or if you are not too concerned about the power outputs the 23i are a bit of a bargain.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Yellow46

Post by Yellow46 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:35 pm

coldel,
Thanks for the welcome and the tips!
I'll consider the weight difference between the E89 and E85 for weekend drives. Will do some research on common issues with 2-liter E89s. Appreciate the recommendations for the 30i or 23i models.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:50 pm

From what I have gleaned the E85 and E89 are very different cars (only had 2 E89s).
The E85 seems to be more of a 'sportscar' and the E89 more a 'cruiser' or 'mini GT', which makes them good for everyday.

Unless you drive like Lewis Hamilton with toothache, the E89 can be good fun and handles remarkably well for what it is IME. They are all going to be fun as low centre of gravity, RWD and big fat tyres make for a good recipe IMO. :thumbsup:

The 30i in the link above is an 'SE' spec, so should have softer suspension than an M-Sport. The latter's ride can be 'firm' to say the least, which I would imagine could be a problem for a daily.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

hairyfrogowl

Post by hairyfrogowl » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:51 pm

I've had E85 and E89 versions - the E85 is a much firmer ride - I had the 2.5si which was a lovely engine but drove me mad with how hard the ride was. The E89 SE (version I had) is a great daily driver ...
G29 M40i Love it!
E89 2.0 Sport gone
E85 2.5si Sport gone

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm

Good point on the SE spec, sometimes wish I had got one with SE spec...cheaper and better ride on London roads!
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:14 pm

There's not a lot of difference between the Msport and SE model E89's (its a trim thing: seats, alloys, roof lining, threshold plates, bumper skins, slightly shorter springs and a few M badges), all can be be retro fitted and they share everything else, the same engines/gearbox etc. Be aware, BMW charge for everything, so don't take for granted that all cars have 'this and that' when it comes to extras. Personally, I think that the E89 is a beautiful looking car, either with the roof up or down, not many convertibles can claim that, with that little added security of a hard roof and the ability to still turn heads.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm

Buyers guide here, when you see a car you like, put the details up on this forum https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/bmw- ... ers-guide/

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:57 pm

Plenty of good advice already.

Personally I like the N/A 6 cylinder engines because they are one of the unique features of a Z4, but plenty of owners love their 4 cylinder turbo powered E89s.

Probably the best thing is to try to drive the alternatives so you get a feel for what you prefer.

And good luck. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm

I am very new here, nothing to say, just questions?

Are you planning on DIY work to the car?
Does it matter if it is occasionally unreliable, or do you need it to start every single day?
Is mpg important to you?
Is insurance cost important to you and have you compared insurance on the different models (some quotes may surprise you)?
Is speed a priority?
Is being a "proper drivers car" a priority?
Is comfort a priority?
Surely you NEED to get the E86 Coupe or E89 with hard top if you are using it daily in the UK?

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Welcome along- I’d suggest trying both e85 and e89 as they are both different cars in the way they drive.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:27 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:27 pm Surely you NEED to get the E86 Coupe or E89 with hard top if you are using it daily in the UK?
I daily an 04 plate 2.2 roadster. Went through the winter with no issues at all. No leaks, no damp anywhere.
Not quite sure the thinking of why you need a metal roof but I'm here to say you don't need it, the proper roadster version is just fine.
It's not refined, but it is quiet enough and for a 'sports' car it is actually quite comfortable.
If you're worried about winter use, fear not! The heater is so good that if you do decide to drive in shorts you'll need to turn it down to prevent scorching of the skin on your left leg!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:59 pm

Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold