Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
LawrenceW

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by LawrenceW » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 pm

Bonkers, that’s my local dealer too, I’ll go and have a chat with Morene, thanks

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:08 pm

LawrenceW wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 pm Bonkers, that’s my local dealer too, I’ll go and have a chat with Morene, thanks
It’s bad when you’re on first name terms with them….glad it’s not just me! :rofl:

LawrenceW

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by LawrenceW » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 pm

😂😂

MonsterZ4

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by MonsterZ4 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:05 am

[quote=STC_Zed post_id=2065750 time=<a href="tel:1712954849">1712954849</a> user_id=44665]
I finally managed to get my phone connected to the car thanks to a member on here, it did turn into a complete palaver though…

Once I finally managed to get the car into pairing mode, I realised that I didn’t have the PK code. Great. I ended up taking all of the boot trim out to make access to the control module that should have a sticker on it which includes the code. Very helpfully the sticker wasn’t visible with the module in place, so I ended up giving to remove the module and bracket that held it in place.

Once I had the code, my phone paired without issue but I then realised another issue - when I’d fitted the aux socket, where there should have a blank socket in the quad lock there was something plugged in that I unplugged to get the aux cable plugged in. It looks like what I left unconnected is the sound output for the phone / nav. Whoops.

So whilst the boot trim was removed, I had a look for the CD changer cabling and this is to an old thread on here, eventually found them. I’ve put the boot back together but have left the two plugs easy to get at. I’ve since ordered a BlueMusic adapter which will be here next week. That should give me the best of both worlds - factory Bluetooth for calls plus the ability to stream music.

I also ordered an alcantara gear gaiter with stitching to match the seats which arrived today.

[/quote]

How did you get into pairing mode? I’m iPhone and Z4 seem totally at odds with wanting to be friends. It’s doing my head in.

The car looks awesome by the way!

Wayo11

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Wayo11 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:16 am

Lovely colour combo and enjoying the updates :thumbsup:
E85 2.5si Saphire Black ‘Project Spa’
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Mini Clubman Cooper D with JCW Trim
3 Horses
2 Yorkies
1 Understanding Wife!

Z450

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Z450 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 am

Looks great, good work so far 🙂👍

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:12 am

MonsterZ4 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:05 am [quote=STC_Zed post_id=2065750 time=<a href="tel:1712954849">1712954849</a> user_id=44665]
I finally managed to get my phone connected to the car thanks to a member on here, it did turn into a complete palaver though…

Once I finally managed to get the car into pairing mode, I realised that I didn’t have the PK code. Great. I ended up taking all of the boot trim out to make access to the control module that should have a sticker on it which includes the code. Very helpfully the sticker wasn’t visible with the module in place, so I ended up giving to remove the module and bracket that held it in place.

Once I had the code, my phone paired without issue but I then realised another issue - when I’d fitted the aux socket, where there should have a blank socket in the quad lock there was something plugged in that I unplugged to get the aux cable plugged in. It looks like what I left unconnected is the sound output for the phone / nav. Whoops.

So whilst the boot trim was removed, I had a look for the CD changer cabling and this is to an old thread on here, eventually found them. I’ve put the boot back together but have left the two plugs easy to get at. I’ve since ordered a BlueMusic adapter which will be here next week. That should give me the best of both worlds - factory Bluetooth for calls plus the ability to stream music.

I also ordered an alcantara gear gaiter with stitching to match the seats which arrived today.

How did you get into pairing mode? I’m iPhone and Z4 seem totally at odds with wanting to be friends. It’s doing my head in.

The car looks awesome by the way!
[/quote]

Thanks. If your car has nav, these were the instructions that a member on here sent me (just make sure you have the four digit code to hand :headbang: )

First make sure phone has the latest operating system drivers.
Remove existing original (my case Nokia phone) from cradle.
Delete all existing phone memories by holding down the button in the cradle console for about 10 secs (3 beeps tells you it’s done)

Get your phone to the Bluetooth On/Off/Devices settings page and switch off Bluetooth.
With KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION, open phone compartment and press and hold the Bluetooth (man shouting!) button for 3 seconds.
Then with the button still pressed, insert key into ignition and turn key two clicks (where all the warning lights come on).
JUST AS THE SAT-NAV STARTS TO OPEN, release the Bluetooth button.
Quickly turn on Bluetooth on the phone. Timing seems to be critical and it took a couple of attempts to get the elusive pairing phone prompt.
Once at the prompt, I just entered the 4 digit Bluetooth key into my phone and it connected straight away, and after a few minutes had copied my address book of a few hundred numbers across.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 am

Wayo11 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:16 am Lovely colour combo and enjoying the updates :thumbsup:
Z450 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:41 am Looks great, good work so far 🙂👍
Thanks both. I’m starting to fall for its charms, even popping to the shops feels quite special especially compared to a 3 series.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:20 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 pm
STC_Zed wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:22 pm Thanks Mr Tidy - it was the colour combo that sold it to me and persuaded me to see past the niggles. The good spec is the icing on the cake.

As you know, my wife has an E91 330i with a mapped N52 and I agree about how much more urgent the Zed feels, possibly helped by sitting on the floor. Noise wise, hers has a car in intake which is quite vocal

Getting stuck in will really start next week when I tackle the front wishbones, from anti roll bar bushes, drop links all round, RTAB bushes and holders, rear discs and pads plus front pads (the ones on here are new, but I like ATE ceramic pads due the reduced dust and they were dirt cheap for this).
Cheers Sam. :thumbsup:

I didn't realise Der Mummiewagon had a remap though. I'd love to know what difference you noticed from it.

Anyway back on Z4s good luck with next weeks' plans. :thumbsup:

Iain.
The 330i was already mapped when I bought it. Instead of the 258bhp it’s supposed to be 270bhp. The chap I bought it from had also fitted a custom to built rear diff with shorter final drive which did perk it up a lot (I didn’t want to pay the extra for the diff so I stuck with the old one). It’s been a long time since I’ve driven a standard 330i so can’t really comment on the difference. The Zed feels a chunk more urgent though.

curvature

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by curvature » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:09 am

Do you have any advice on removing the trim to get to the phone module?

When I first got my coupe I tried but gave up as it seemed that all the trim need to come out and I was a bit nervous of doing all of that!
Z4C 3.0 SI
iX3
640d GC

MonsterZ4

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by MonsterZ4 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:40 pm

Here is another unicorn car, my old 330Ci in PY.
Attachments
IMG_3298.jpeg
IMG_3298.jpeg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 276 times

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:09 pm

curvature wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:09 am Do you have any advice on removing the trim to get to the phone module?

When I first got my coupe I tried but gave up as it seemed that all the trim need to come out and I was a bit nervous of doing all of that!
It’s not that hard to be fair; you’ll need a trim tool for the plastic pop rivets, a T25 bit and maybe a torch to help see some of the hidden fixings for the upper plastic trim.

When my Bluetooth adapter arrives I’ll take some photos as I go because I’ve decided that I want to stick it down to avoid any rattles. When I took the boot trim out the other day I was pretty liberal with the anti rattle tape and it’s quietened things down nicely.

Jamezee

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Jamezee » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:32 pm

:thumbsup: very nice :)
Z3 2.2 sport tit silver
Z4 coupe 3.0si sport montego blue
728i oxford green
Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

I’ve had a mixed week with the car so far and the bad bit was all my own fault. :headbang:

I’ll get that bit out the way first. I went into the office on Tuesday and parked in the nearest multi storey car park which I’m usually super careful in because the ramps felt awkward in my 335i which had much better visibility. I had a moment where I wasn’t as careful as usual and heard a scraping as I turned left. I assumed that it was my rear wheel and I was very angry with myself all the way home.

I arrived home, checked the wheel and it was fine. I then spotted this…. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I’ll get a proper repair sorted in due course, but in the meantime I made it look much better with some effort with a clay bar, fine wet and dry and some touch up paint.

The better news is that I’ve been working my way through a few other jobs which success.

Firstly, I plugged in the connector that I’d removed to fit my aux socket so phone calls now work properly in the car. My BlueMusic adapter arrived and was super easy to fit and my phone connected first time. The infotainment at least feels a bit more modern than it did.

I used my wife’s E91 to drop my new wheels off for paint but the new rear tyres hadn’t arrived in time. I managed to squeeze a pair of Asymmetric 6’s in the boot of the Zed.

My spacers arrived today so I spent a few minutes chucking them on.

Rear, before.

Rear with 15mm spacers

Fronts, stock.

With 12mm spacers added.

All of my suspension parts have arrived now, so I’m hoping to start work tomorrow night and finish Saturday in time for an alignment on Monday.

PedroSouth

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by PedroSouth » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 pm

Seen this car on Pistonheads in Readers Cars and if this is anything like your previous BMWs and their threads, the car has gone to very good home. Congrats on the purchase.
2003 E85 3.0 Manual in Sterling Grey.