Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:07 am

During the pandemic I ditched my M140i for an old 130i LE which I ended up my preferring but being run alongside my wife’s 125i cab it was a bit too small so that became an E92 335i. That ended up being a stage one plus car with 380bhp and loads of torque. It looked good to my eyes and sounded good to with the PE exhaust mod done however after two years, I did find myself missing a manual.

My wife’s 125i and been swapped for an E91 330i touring and I’d found myself using the back seats of my 335i less and less. The original plan had been to buy an E90 M3 this year but life conspired to kill that idea off. I then decided that I’d be able to get away with a two seater now we have an estate car for family duties. A Cayman was by first thought but they’re more than I wanted to spend and I decided I wasn’t brave enough to live with the potential issues. Which bought me to the Z4, a car I’d always liked since launch and they met the main criteria of six cylinders, RWD and manual. It would need to be a coupe so I could fit a sea sucker for bike carrying.

Spec was soon an issue as I started to look into them because BMW were mean with the spec and not many original buyers seemed to tick many options. The minimum requirements were heated seats, xenon’s and Bluetooth (more on the latter later). I didn’t really want black paint or leather which further narrowed my options but one car did stand out, a 2006 coupe with a nice spec.

It’s Monaco blue with champagne nsppa leather, CCC nav (comically bad, even worse than in my 130i), heated seats, Bluetooth, xenon’s and style 108 wheels.

I picked the car up a few hours after selling my 335i. My initial impressions were that it’ll be a good base car but does need a few bits doing. In no particular order:
  • paint needs a really good polish
  • crappy Dunlop tyres need to be replaced
  • beds front wishbones because the front end is busy and it tramlines
  • leather needs a deep clean and repainting
  • hinges for the central storage flap are broken so that needs replacing
Compared to my 335i, it feels really low. Getting in and out isn’t all that graceful :rofl: Every other car on the road seems to be bloody massive - I stopped at some traffic lights on the way home and the Polo next me felt huge. The N52 in this feels more urgent than the one in my wife’s E91 and is much more vocal when worked.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:14 am

The next day after collecting, it was time to give it its first clean.

The obligatory snow foam shot

I then decided to do a quick test panel with my DA polisher which ended up with the roof, both rear panels, bootlid and rear bumper being polished then waxed with Fusso Coat and topped off with Kiwami Extreme.

It was then time to pop out for a few nicer pictures.

R17SKO

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by R17SKO » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:21 am

Lovely looking car!! Looks lower than standard?
2007 Silver grey E86 Sport

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:29 am

The alignment was off, so whilst waiting for the suspension components to arrive from autodoc, I thought I’d try and get it driving better.

This was good and bad news..l

There were receipts in the history for front B4 dampers and Eibach springs. I’d planned to replace the rear dampers thinking that they’d be original but it turns out that that they’re B4’s as well. That was the good news.

The bad news was that they couldn’t / wouldn’t attempt the align the rears because the RTAB brackets are rusted to hell. The underneath of the car looks really good in general but these look like they’ve been fished out of a canal. Replacing the bushes was already on the list, but a quick email to my local Sytner and this lot arrived.

As soon as the drop links and wishbones arrive from autodoc, I’ll get stuck into fitting new parts and getting the car aligned.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:29 am

R17SKO wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:21 am Lovely looking car!! Looks lower than standard?
Thanks. Yes, a previous owner fitted a set of Eibach springs a couple of years ago.

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:46 pm

Having had CarPlay in my cars for so long, now I do miss it in my coupe. I was going to dive straight in and fit a solution for these that retain the original screen, but I want to get the suspension sorted properly first.

My car being an early one doesn’t even have an aux in socket, so that was soon remedied with a cable from Amazon. The socket has been fitted in the removable panel just above the heated seat controls.

It works well enough for now and I’d quickly lost interest in the give CD’s that I found on the garage (plus the broken storage flap was annoying).

Quick picture in front of a Model 3…these really are tiny.

The main reason that I chose a coupe over a roadster was the need to carry a mountain bike. Since option out of the company car scheme, my M140i, 130i LE and 335i have all lived with a roof carrier on them. This isn’t an option on the Z4 so I took the plunge and bought a Seasucker Talon. I’ve not used it in anger yet, but did a test fit.

It seems pretty solid but I’ll definitely be nervous using it for the first time (hopefully this weekend).

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:31 pm

It was then time to sort a few minor issues that were really bugging me.

A quick visit to my local Sytner collect the parts I’d previously ordered.

ZHP gearknob
Short antenna
2 x side badges, 1 x rear badge
New flap for the central storage

The badges were really bloody expensive at £122 for all three after a bit of discount that the parts guys always give me. They certainly made the other parts look good value.

I was also due to take the car for a new windscreen that afternoon, so I gave it a quick wash first because it was filthy after downpours a few days before hand. Clean with a short antenna fitted - no more poking my eye out when I was cleaning it :roll:

Some of the old badges were in really poor condition and made the car look a bit scabby.

New ones fitted.

Next up was a fresh pair of dealer plates. At £12 a pair, they’re an absolute no brainer. There wasn’t much left of one of the exist screws.

I also swapped the old halogen interior bulbs for LED jobbies. I hate the old yellow light, it just makes the interior look really old and dated

The final thing to sort was the broken storage flap.

With the phone cradle removed, the old flap came away really easily. I had to dig out what was left of the original hinges.

New flap fitted and working as it should.

Next up will be some coding.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:06 pm

You did well to find one in such a fantastic colour scheme and with some great options. :thumbsup:

For most of 2019 I ran my 3.0Si alongside my E90 330i and it's hard to believe they had the same engine - it just felt so much more alive in the Z4 and sounded way better!

Well done for getting stuck into some good mods already. The ZHP gear-knob makes a huge difference and you've fitted the Aux socket where BMW put it. My 2nd 3.0Si didn't have one either, but after about a year I found a previous owner had put it in the glovebox!

Your car cleaning regime just makes me feel guilty - I think I need to wash my Z4 tomorrow. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

LawrenceW

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by LawrenceW » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 pm

Hi, loving the updates and your cars not too shabby either 😉

A couple of questions -
The centre hinged cubby panel, was it difficult to install? I.e did you have to tension the hinges or just drop in, tighten up and good to go?

Also do you mind me asking how much was the new centre cubby panel?

Reason I ask is one of my hinges has popped out and I havent had a proper look yet to see if it’s a repair or replace.

Thanks

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:22 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:06 pm You did well to find one in such a fantastic colour scheme and with some great options. :thumbsup:

For most of 2019 I ran my 3.0Si alongside my E90 330i and it's hard to believe they had the same engine - it just felt so much more alive in the Z4 and sounded way better!

Well done for getting stuck into some good mods already. The ZHP gear-knob makes a huge difference and you've fitted the Aux socket where BMW put it. My 2nd 3.0Si didn't have one either, but after about a year I found a previous owner had put it in the glovebox!

Your car cleaning regime just makes me feel guilty - I think I need to wash my Z4 tomorrow. :roll:
Thanks Mr Tidy - it was the colour combo that sold it to me and persuaded me to see past the niggles. The good spec is the icing on the cake.

As you know, my wife has an E91 330i with a mapped N52 and I agree about how much more urgent the Zed feels, possibly helped by sitting on the floor. Noise wise, hers has a car in intake which is quite vocal :D

Getting stuck in will really start next week when I tackle the front wishbones, from anti roll bar bushes, drop links all round, RTAB bushes and holders, rear discs and pads plus front pads (the ones on here are new, but I like ATE ceramic pads due the reduced dust and they were dirt cheap for this).

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:27 pm

LawrenceW wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:57 pm Hi, loving the updates and your cars not too shabby either 😉

A couple of questions -
The centre hinged cubby panel, was it difficult to install? I.e did you have to tension the hinges or just drop in, tighten up and good to go?

Also do you mind me asking how much was the new centre cubby panel?

Reason I ask is one of my hinges has popped out and I havent had a proper look yet to see if it’s a repair or replace.

Thanks
Thanks.

The cubby is dead easy to change. The hinge / bar that mine rotated on had completely snapped so once the phone connection was removed it was free. I had to dig the remains of the old hinges out of the recess that they sit in. The new one was about £70 off the top of my head. It comes with a piece of white plastic to hold the hinges at the right angle to be fitted. It’s literally just a case of pushing the new one in and pulling the white plastic pin out of the side.

It took me about 30mins including cleaning areas that you can’t usually see :rofl:

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:47 pm

I finally managed to get my phone connected to the car thanks to a member on here, it did turn into a complete palaver though…

Once I finally managed to get the car into pairing mode, I realised that I didn’t have the PK code. Great. I ended up taking all of the boot trim out to make access to the control module that should have a sticker on it which includes the code. Very helpfully the sticker wasn’t visible with the module in place, so I ended up giving to remove the module and bracket that held it in place.

Once I had the code, my phone paired without issue but I then realised another issue - when I’d fitted the aux socket, where there should have a blank socket in the quad lock there was something plugged in that I unplugged to get the aux cable plugged in. It looks like what I left unconnected is the sound output for the phone / nav. Whoops.

So whilst the boot trim was removed, I had a look for the CD changer cabling and this is to an old thread on here, eventually found them. I’ve put the boot back together but have left the two plugs easy to get at. I’ve since ordered a BlueMusic adapter which will be here next week. That should give me the best of both worlds - factory Bluetooth for calls plus the ability to stream music.

I also ordered an alcantara gear gaiter with stitching to match the seats which arrived today.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 pm

STC_Zed wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:22 pm Thanks Mr Tidy - it was the colour combo that sold it to me and persuaded me to see past the niggles. The good spec is the icing on the cake.

As you know, my wife has an E91 330i with a mapped N52 and I agree about how much more urgent the Zed feels, possibly helped by sitting on the floor. Noise wise, hers has a car in intake which is quite vocal

Getting stuck in will really start next week when I tackle the front wishbones, from anti roll bar bushes, drop links all round, RTAB bushes and holders, rear discs and pads plus front pads (the ones on here are new, but I like ATE ceramic pads due the reduced dust and they were dirt cheap for this).
Cheers Sam. :thumbsup:

I didn't realise Der Mummiewagon had a remap though. I'd love to know what difference you noticed from it.

Anyway back on Z4s good luck with next weeks' plans. :thumbsup:

Iain.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

LawrenceW

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by LawrenceW » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 pm

‘The new one was about £70 off the top of my head. It comes with a piece of white plastic to hold the hinges at the right angle to be fitted. It’s literally just a case of pushing the new one in and pulling the white plastic pin out of the side.’

That’s really useful, thank you. Being a PITA if you wouldn’t mind confirming the part number I’d be eternally grateful as there’s a few listed on Realoem, but I know yours is the part I’d need to order so it’d save the faff!

Many thanks

STC_Zed

My 2006 Z4 Coupe

Post by STC_Zed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:23 pm

LawrenceW wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:07 pm ‘The new one was about £70 off the top of my head. It comes with a piece of white plastic to hold the hinges at the right angle to be fitted. It’s literally just a case of pushing the new one in and pulling the white plastic pin out of the side.’

That’s really useful, thank you. Being a PITA if you wouldn’t mind confirming the part number I’d be eternally grateful as there’s a few listed on Realoem, but I know yours is the part I’d need to order so it’d save the faff!

Many thanks
Does yours have all of the phone bumpf? If so, the part number is 51466978111. I paid £67 including the discount that I usually get from Sytner Tamworth.