Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tips on new wheels and tyres, and avoiding divorce

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:38 am

Blurredman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am OK decision made. I have ordered 2 used front 326 19" 8J wheels and will put them on the back. I am thinking I might put slightly bigger tyres on them, just to try to make up a little of the lost width compared to the 9J wheels. Thinking 235/35ZR19 rear with the original size 225/35ZR19 on the front. I will change to non-run flats at the same time, all round. Are Michelin Pilots still the shoe of choice around here?

Also, what are you guys putting in the boot for emergency puncture precautions? Thinking a spare wheel and a trolley jack might be overdoing it :)
From recent experience, Pilot Sport 5 are amazing, as are most sporty tyre from all top tier brands (Conti, Goodyear, Pirelli). What I would advise against is staggering the tyre size. Keep all round to 225 so you can rotate tyre if need be to manage wear. Best will be to play with spacers if you want to fine tune the looks :thumbsup:

Edit: Just checked and PS5 are only availbale at 235/35R19 so you would have to go with this all round. Obviously other brand could have 225 available.
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:10 am

Blurredman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am Also, what are you guys putting in the boot for emergency puncture precautions? Thinking a spare wheel and a trolley jack might be overdoing it
A can of tyre weld from Halfrauds and possibly a cheap compressor for belt and braces.

And a comprehensive AA membership just in case! :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:25 pm

Blurredman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am OK decision made. I have ordered 2 used front 326 19" 8J wheels and will put them on the back. I am thinking I might put slightly bigger tyres on them, just to try to make up a little of the lost width compared to the 9J wheels. Thinking 235/35ZR19 rear with the original size 225/35ZR19 on the front. I will change to non-run flats at the same time, all round. Are Michelin Pilots still the shoe of choice around here?

Also, what are you guys putting in the boot for emergency puncture precautions? Thinking a spare wheel and a trolley jack might be overdoing it :)
Black circles have 10% off a pair today and Goodyears too. As Pondy says a can of tyre weld and I carry rats tails too. HTH
Attachments
IMG_8328.png
IMG_8328.png (395.61 KiB) Viewed 63 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:01 pm

Depends how far you venture from home..with the recovery delay issues affecting most recovery companies I’ve invested in a 18” space saver which I carry all the time now..plus a decent socket / bar to get the nuts off etc..

Not too much of a penalty…lies upside down so little penalty in terms of space consumed ..

I’ve always carried rat tails / gloop / and recovery card…

Off the 5 punctures I’ve witnessed on Zeds none were repairable with gloop or rat tails..

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/ ... 2006-2017/
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:26 pm

Also, what are you guys putting in the boot for emergency puncture precautions? Thinking a spare wheel and a trolley jack might be overdoing it
    From what I have read most people seem to find BMWs handle more neutrally with the same wheel and tyre sizes front and rear.

Ever since I did a driving trip in Wales in 2021 I've been carrying a full size front wheel as a spare, and after reading some of the horror stories of long distance recovery nightmares I still do. Not least because when I go on B21s Tours I'm usually more than 400 miles from home!

I bought a BMW jack from Quarry Motors for £19 (out of an E46 I think) as it fits the jacking points perfectly, plus a breaker bar and torque wrench. Fingers crossed I never need it though.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black