Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

First port of call for new members
Paintermark9

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by Paintermark9 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Hello all, I have just purchased my first 2004 z4 2.5, I was trying to get some advice regarding the tick over issue it has, if I press the footbrake the revs increase, take it off and its back to normal tick over, any thoughts on what it could be.
Thanks

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm

Paintermark9 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm Hello all, I have just purchased my first 2004 z4 2.5, I was trying to get some advice regarding the tick over issue it has, if I press the footbrake the revs increase, take it off and its back to normal tick over, any thoughts on what it could be.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
Is this a pre-facelift M54 or a facelift N52 engine?
Purely for future reference tbh, as the cause of your problem is most likely to be an air leak. Check the connections and condition of the pipe that runs from the brake servo to the manifold.
I know that on the M54 the section that connects to the inlet manifold end is a rubber hose and they are prone to collapsing under vacuum. This in turn can cause them to crack and leak.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

raymond.harper

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

The brake servo is powered by vacuum so I would suspect a leak in the system. Are there any trouble codes?

Paintermark9

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by Paintermark9 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 pm

Hello, there are no fault codes, I'm not sure if it is a face lift model or not, I've only just purchased the car, so this is all new to me, I will try and find out which model it is, will also check the pipes to see what condition they are in,
Thanks for your help

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Paintermark9 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 pm Hello, there are no fault codes, I'm not sure if it is a face lift model or not, I've only just purchased the car, so this is all new to me, I will try and find out which model it is, will also check the pipes to see what condition they are in,
Thanks for your help
What age?
Round rear lights and amber front indicators is pre-facelift.
Stand in front of the engine and look to the passenger side, just behind the air filter box. You should see a red handled dipstick.
If so, it is definitely the M54 engine as the later N52 has no dipstick.

If it is all new to you, give us a rough idea where you are and hopefully there'll be a helpful forum member close enough to give you a little intro to stuff.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:31 pm

its a 2004 car so its the M54 engine.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 2.5 tick over issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:31 pm its a 2004 car so its the M54 engine.
I always check after I gave someone advice based on that, only to later discover it had a private plate. :roll: