Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Zedshed Cymru Airbag escapade

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Post by colb » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 pm

Had one of our Bristol members over on Saturday with an airbag light that wouldn't reset. Door card had been off previously when applying sound deadening so airbag had been disturbed before light appeared. Full Launch scan revealed SBSR Resistance, Firing Circuit Thorax Airbag Rear Right. Checked connector of airbag in the door which appeared ok. Suspicion then turned to the Satellite Module on that side, checked for dampness but was bone dry, connector and pins inspected all looked fine. Our resident local Breaker Umfaan was consulted and he could come up with a suitable module, airbag and door wiring loom. Having seen the same problem before he suspected the airbag plug may be the cause and arrangements made to meet up at the Shed next day with the assorted spares to have another go at solving the issue. Sunday afternoon saw three of us at the Shed. Once the door card was off a close inspection of the airbag plug by Umfaan revealed that the two black plastic spacers that cover the terminals were in fact missing. Decision was made to use the intact plug from the spare door loom he brought as the window motor plugs were different and not compatible with the car. Plug soldered into the original loom and the joints insulated with heat shrink and tape. Once connected the Launch scanner was fired up and the codes cleared, cycled the ignition and success airbag light went out. All put back together and one happy owner headed back to Bristol.
Looks to me that the two black spacers that were missing are in fact used to ensure a tight connection to the airbag socket and ensures a stable resistance to be maintained when connected by applying pressure to the metal contacts within the plug.
Have added some photos, if you zoom in onto the airbag you can see the black clip that went missing which was the cause of the airbag light, just shows how important that little clip is to maintain a constant resistance reading.
Attachments
IMG-20240128-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240128-WA0001.jpg (159.07 KiB) Viewed 76 times
IMG_20240428_153145 (2).jpg
IMG_20240428_153145 (2).jpg (193.03 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Last edited by colb on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 am

Nice :thumbsup:
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 am

Good to know- I knew the black pins were essential but I will check this on my ongoing airbag fault car (Tony’s)
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 am

Blimey looks like I sold him a dud!
That was the car that had no membrane at all in the right door, so I had the airbag off.
Sure I would have noticed them missing ?

I have read elsewhere that the clips somehow complete the circuit. Being plastic they must push a metal part in somewhere?
Couldn’t just fit the clips then?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:40 am

A case of idle fingers …tampering…..🤔😉