Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Money grabbing AA

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm

Just had our AA membership renewal through and there are some new changes. Just to warn you all, read the blurb, I usually don't, however I have a van that I use for my business and this is now not covered for breakdown from our June renewal date. My wife has managed to get a reduction in the cost for both our cars. My wife's is 16 years old and my Z4 is now 20 years old, almost. This is another problem as my van is 2007, now looking for cover. My wife is now hunting around and Green Flag seem to be cheaper on their website and don't have anything about the age of the car. Anyway just watch out if your E85/86 is with the AA. Mike.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

M1k3yC

Money grabbing AA

Post by M1k3yC » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm My wife is now hunting around and Green Flag seem to be cheaper on their website and don't have anything about the age of the car.
I think it depends on the type of cover. There appears to be a 16 year age limit on cars if you choose Personal cover, for example. See: https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cov ... ooklet.pdf
WE’VE GOT THREE TYPES OF COVER…
1. VEHICLE
This covers one car, van, motorhome or
motorbike. It means that it’s always got
Green Flag cover, whoever’s driving at
the time.
2. MULTI-VEHICLE
This covers more than one vehicle
registered at your address. It means
that the vehicles are all covered with
Green Flag, whoever’s driving them.
3. PERSONAL
This means you’ve got Green Flag cover,
whichever vehicle you’re in, wherever you
are in the UK. Whether you’re driving,
or you’re a passenger. This can apply
to another person in your household as
well, provided you’ve agreed this with us
and paid any additional premium due.
Cover will only be provided for vehicles
that are under 16 years old and privately
registered and used in the UK.
I've started just adding breakdown cover to my insurance as it's been price competitive. Not sure if I'll get better or worse service should I break down; I haven't tested it.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Green flag are happy to take the van on its own as long as it is named at £97.50. Includes national recovery. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:17 pm

It wasn't re age warning just to be careful if you have a commercial van with the AA :thumbsup:

1536Z4

Money grabbing AA

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm My wife's is 16 years old
I thought it said your wife is 16 years old Mikey ? Lucky bugger I thought :rofl:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by MikeyH » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 pm
I thought it said your wife is 16 years old Mikey ? Lucky bugger I thought :rofl:
:roll: :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by Nictrix » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:35 am

1536Z4 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 pm
You sure you really meant to say that :-o
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

1536Z4

Money grabbing AA

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:12 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:35 am You sure you really meant to say that
Whoops didn`t know the age had changed :oops:

"If you are under 18 years old you can't legally get married in England or Wales. Before 27 February 2023, you could get married when you were 16 or 17."
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Money grabbing AA

Post by MikeyH » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:22 pm

But you could with your parents' consent?

1536Z4

Money grabbing AA

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:26 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:22 pm But you could with your parents' consent?
You could before the new law but not now . Unless you are in Scotland or Northern Ireland .

It is important to note that the changes only apply to England and Wales. The laws on marriage and civil partnerships in Scotland and Northern Ireland are devolved so they will not be affected by this change. In Scotland, it is possible to marry or enter into a civil partnership when both parties are aged 16 and over. Parental consent is not required to do this. In Northern Ireland couples can marry or enter into a civil partnership, provided they have parental consent, when both parties are aged 16 and over. It is possible the Scottish or Northern Irish governments will follow the changes in England in Wales in the future but for now, the existing laws will remain in place.