Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Longlife Exhausts

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
.adam.

Longlife Exhausts

Post by .adam. » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:46 am

Hoping to change the exhaust on my E86 soon, and have narrowed the options down to a custom system from Longlife Exhausts, specifically the Carshalton branch, or a Scorpion system.
Has anyone had any experience with Longlife Carshalton? I would either go for a full system, or possibly just a change of back box. I'm not chasing more power, just want a more interesting sound.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Longlife Exhausts

Post by tomscott » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:45 am

My Z4M had a longlife exhaust that was from the Leeds branch.

They tailored it to the first owners spec, sounds great but droned like mad at 3000 so had it removed. It's stainless steel x pipe and back boxes and the back boxes were straight through. The only issue is I think it was always a struggle to make it fit properly, the exhaust hangers were custom, the x pipe didn't have any clamps at the end to fit natively. So I think originally it was sleeved so that would be worth talking to them about to have a native fit by welding clamps.

The second owner had it removed and the hangers with the standard exhaust then didn't fit when I bought it they hung quite low so I had the original hangers put on. I fancied a bit more noise so had them reinstalled and then found the exhaust on the standard hangers was miles out and I also had an exhaust leak. Anyway I got intouch with Longline Leeds to see if they could sort by reinstalling the hangers and they weren't interested in touching it :rofl:

So I had it removed and had the whole original exhaust rebuilt with oem parts, on the M the hangers rust so had to have them removed and new clamps fitted, they had also removed some other rubber components and most of the screws weren't the right ones... Cost quite a bit of money and in the end im happier with the OEM exhaust.

Kind of up to you really but buying an exhaust which will be tailored is quite hard as how do you describe what noise you want it to make? Then its what they do to make it fit.

BenM

Longlife Exhausts

Post by BenM » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 pm

I've used them twice before - once at Carshalton for a VR6 Corrado and once at a place in Sussex for my MK1 Golf GTI. The service was great both times. For both cars I specified their 'quiet' system (I think they usually come in 3 noise levels) and on the Corrado it gave a nice interesting burble, only subtly louder than the standard system, which is what I was looking for. On the Golf it was going from a Supersprint race exhaust to the Longlife 'quiet' system - didn't make a huge difference really but the car was fairly heavily modified and I think a lot of the noise was coming from the air box resonating.
Anyway, I was happy with the service and the product both times.
2009 Z4C

$hed

Longlife Exhausts

Post by $hed » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 pm

My vote go for Scorpion quality out the box, less drone than OEM and sounds awesome on full beans

.adam.

Longlife Exhausts

Post by .adam. » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:56 pm

I'm leaning towards the Scorpion, although it will work out a bit more expensive, at least it's a tried and tested product.