Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Necessity to oil soak new oil filter during change?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:24 pm

Had my Z4 about 7 years and always had the oil changed with MOT's but thought I'd give it a go myself this time as I always changed the oil on previously cars and looks fairly straightforward from the clear write up in the How-To section.

However, I've never changed a cartridge style oil filter before. Am I correct that I remove the old one from the housing, clean out all the old oil and install the new filter dry? Or should I pour some new oil into a bowl and dunk the new filter in prior to installing it in the housing?

My previous car had a spin on design filter which I always poured oil in to prior to installing to avoid oil starvation on start-up.

Thanks for any advice

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 pm

There’s no need to add any oil, simply fit the new filter dry and then add the required amount to the engine and then start it. The oil light may take a second or two to go out as the oil pressure is built up.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

STC_Zed

Post by STC_Zed » Wed May 01, 2024 8:36 am

Once I’ve removed as much old oil as I can from the filter housing, I pour a little bit of refresh oil into the housing before fitting the new filter.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed May 01, 2024 10:09 am

So just thinking out loud

Drain oil and fit new filter dry re fill oil

On start up there is some oil on the bearings and in the pump this is re filled by the new oil via the pump

Drain oil and fit new filter wet and oil filter filled with oil

On start up there is oil on the bearings as before but there could be a small air lock between the oil pump and the oil filter which could find its was to a bearing a tiny bit after start up just as some people like to give it a rev

Just thinking out loud

I start mine or try to turn it over and off before it actually starts a couple of time to try and prime the oil, before the proper start up and don't rev it, and watch the oil pressure gauge