Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

gearbox damp with oil

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

gearbox damp with oil

Post by MikeyH » Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 pm

Hi all, just passed its MOT but had an advisory re 'gearbox damp with oil', this is odd as the last place didn't mention it in 2023 and when I used the same place in 2022 for the MOT it was up on the ramp and I asked to look under it. There was a misting of oil on box then so I queried it and they said to keep an eye on it. This time they said to clean it off to see where the leak is but it might be the vapour vent? A. I can't get under to clean it off, B. What vent and C. there is no oil on the drive. The owner before Gwest that sold me the car had previously changed the gearbox oil in 2018, 17,000 miles ago, could this just be some left over from a messy oil change? As always grateful for any advice, Mike :thumbsup: Oh, I have also seen a similar post back in 2011 but didn't have a conclusion.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.