Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clunking while parking

"M" Specific discussion
a340driver

Clunking while parking

Post by a340driver » Thu May 02, 2024 8:45 pm

My Z4M has started to make clunking noises when manoeuvring at slow speed. It may make the same noises a higher speeds but you just can't hear it.

I suspect that the steering rack is at fault.

Has anyone had similar faults?

It's an 06 with about 69K miles.

It's off to the garage on the 9th having passed an MOT just a couple of weeks ago with nothing spotted. But the clunking was mentioned when they parked it. Since then on some drives you hear nothing and on others it starts when you park up.

I've seen refurbed Z4M ones (hydraulic not electric) online but wondered if anyone had done this and how it worked out.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clunking while parking

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 02, 2024 9:33 pm

Lollipop bushes?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

a340driver

Clunking while parking

Post by a340driver » Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 pm

Thanks I'll google it.

Never heard the phrase before.

a340driver

Clunking while parking

Post by a340driver » Fri May 03, 2024 10:09 pm

I was hoping it was bushes rather than the steering rack.

It is also variable. Some drives I won't hear a thing. Then the next time I start the engine it'll be there from the outset.

It does sound like a clunk rather than a vibration. Today it was fine for 2 30 minute drives and then on the 10 minute drive home it was really loud. I reversed quite a long way before the 3rd short drive. So lots of questions. Hopefully not drivetrain, maybe bushes.

I've been all over it trying to shake everything under the bonnet and as I said it was good on the MOT, I don't have a ramp. But the garage owner noticed the noise when he was parking the car. (I trust the garage btw)

If anyone has had similar probs it would be nice to advise the garage. They've worked on the car for the last 10 years or so and a good. But this may be something they haven't come across before.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clunking while parking

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 04, 2024 7:13 am

a340driver wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 pm Thanks I'll google it.

Never heard the phrase before.
The big round bushes that the front lower wishbones locate in at their rear mounting point.
If they start to fail then they clunk. Of course, reversing is pulling the wheel forward, away from them, so that may make the problem worse if it loosens them until you go forward and effectlively push everything tight again.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ian Thompson

Clunking while parking

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 04, 2024 7:18 am

Making a note to myself.

If you wake up with a thick head one morning thinking you know a bit about something, keep it to yourself rather than posting on a forum where people are wide awake. Z4s drive from the back.
Last edited by Ian Thompson on Sat May 04, 2024 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Clunking while parking

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 04, 2024 7:24 am

Ian Thompson wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:18 am Find somewhere to drive it on full lock while you listen, a clunk from the front will indicate a worn CV joint.
CV joint?
These are RWD.

Ian Thompson

Clunking while parking

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 am

Thank you enuff_zed. I don’t know if half asleep is an excuse. Well, everyday is a school day.