Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aftermarket front parking assist?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
SolameteRico

Post by SolameteRico » Sat May 04, 2024 10:19 pm

Was inspecting the new (to me) car more thoroughly and noticed the driver side fog light was dislocated. Looks like previous owner hit something gently and pushed in some of the plastic and jarred the fog light. However upon inspection noticed some kind of sensor/camera mounted under the bumper centerline.

Followed the wiring up to the firewall and through the passenger side. Crawled under and found a speaker (?) and a screw that definitely doesn't look factory (far right in image). Don't have time to pull apart the under dash right now so couldn't get more info.

Is this some kind of front park assist? Maybe installed after he banged up the fog light would be my guess. But the little bumper mount camera looking thing is what is throwing me off. When I look at aftermarket parking sensors kits they don't have such a thing.

DMike

Post by DMike » Sun May 05, 2024 5:41 pm

Just guessing, but in addition to a front parking sensor, could that be a radar detector/jammer? Whatever it is, under that panel you might find the module.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 05, 2024 5:44 pm

Lovely bit of hacking and bashing gone on with that panel! :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Mon May 06, 2024 9:32 am

Looks like a speed camera detector.
And also looks like someone cut that hole out with a bread knife.
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

SolameteRico

Post by SolameteRico » Wed May 08, 2024 10:45 pm

My suspicions were correct. The device is called a Curb Alert Pro \https://www.amazon.com/Brandmotion-5000-CA5-Alert-Warning-System/dp/B0058OCKXI?th=1

I'm guessing he hit that bump then got this installed immediately after. The speaker wasn't connected to the actual unit so I've never heard it actually go off since I've had the car. Hooked it up and it definitely does work still. The extra screw was for how they mounted this thing...woof terrible install :thumbdown