Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum thanks and EPS motor removal - UPDATE… back in the hurtlocker

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ZeddyTea

Forum thanks and EPS motor removal - UPDATE… back in the hurtlocker

Post by ZeddyTea » Sun May 26, 2024 2:09 pm

Afternoon all,

I had the EPS lights of doom on the dashboard, lost all power steering and had no sport mode… after a few hours of cursed words I joined the forum.

Within a few minutes I had read loads of threads by enuff_zed (Martin). I contacted Martin and he sent me the most detailed explanation for just removing the EPS motor rather than the whole column.

I tackled it this morning and thanks to Martins advice I had the part out within a few hours! Not as quick as Martin would have done it but it would have been impossible without his advice and guidance. So I just wanted to say thanks to the forum and to enuff_zed. I owe you some beers when you’re nearby to Surrey.

I’m happy to help anyone in a similar situation now I know what to look for… non of it is massively obvious on the first attempt and I’m no expert but if anyone around Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire is worried about doing the job then my price is a cuppa and some biscuits!

Great forum, I love it already and makes me like the zed even more! Thanks again enuff_zed!

Tom
Last edited by ZeddyTea on Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Usel

Forum thanks and EPS motor removal

Post by Usel » Sun May 26, 2024 3:05 pm

Well deserved praise for Martin :thumbsup:

It's even better when he comes round and does it for you :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 26, 2024 3:42 pm

Thank you chaps.
What is even better is the offer to help others.
Not everyone is confident with spanners but if those that are will then offer their new skills to other members it can only strengthen the forum.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Mon May 27, 2024 12:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:42 pm Thank you chaps.
What is even better is the offer to help others.
Not everyone is confident with spanners but if those that are will then offer their new skills to other members it can only strengthen the forum.
Kudos to you mate, spoken like a true gent :thumbsup: . That's a wonderful service your offering to all forum members :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ZeddyTea

Post by ZeddyTea » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:18 pm

After getting the EPS motor back from ECU Testing yesterday, I managed to get it in the car this morning…. Bloody fiddly job and not one I want to do again in a hurry (saying that if anyone needs support and is nearby let me know). However, Im glad to say the only light on the dash is now the fuel light… the steering feels better than ever now so the motor has probably had an issue for a while… or I’ve just been lucky when putting it back together and somehow made it better!

Thanks again to Enuff_zed for the support and assistance!
Attachments
IMG_6152.jpeg
IMG_6152.jpeg (275.83 KiB) Viewed 340 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:04 pm

Great news.
Well done for sorting it yourself.
Think of the close to £3k still in your pocket.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Neil CR

Post by Neil CR » Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:12 pm

👏👏 all round

ZeddyTea

Forum thanks and EPS motor removal - UPDATE

Post by ZeddyTea » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:00 pm

Evening all, I’m back in the world of EPS hurt… although I am now very proficient at getting the EPS motor out (22 minutes with the seats and steering wheel in place).

So the EPS has been fixed by EPC testing. If I connect it up to all the wiring but don’t fit it back into place, everything works (the sport button, it can be read by the OBD reader, no light on dash etc).

As soon as I fit it to the column and connect it all back up, the steering light is on, no sport button, not connecting to OBD reader and no power steering.

I’m lost now… I feel like it must be something to do with the worm gear and the column.

The worm gear (the big screw/thread thing) rotates continuously when it is out of the column… which EPC Testing say is correct. But as soon as it’s in the column something happens and it throws up a fault, stopping the system from working….

Does anyone have any clues? I’m completely stuck and it might have to go to an auto electrician :(