Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

Mattt

Re: AUX DIY

Post by Mattt » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:33 am

I went for the ashtray, removing the controls is easy (once you know how) - remove the screw at the bottom and lift up and towards you. I then drilled a hole in the removable ashtray for the cable to run to - it takes a bit of buggering about to make the cable run through ok so you can refit the ashtray.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:36 am

The panel under the air con controls simply unclips from the cabin - slot a credit card or similar for leverage if required :D
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Pauly_G

Post by Pauly_G » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Well it seems my letter to BMW UK did the trick. Dealer got in touch and offered to order a new cable and fit free of charge, so this afternoon I popped into the dealer and got it sorted. I asked them to leave the cable hanging out of the lower dashboard above the gear lever so that I could screw the input onto the mounting plate. Have just done this and all is working fine! So at last I now have access to my entire music collection whilst driving :)

Sound quality is pretty good and there is no issue with the volume level.

Cheers

Paul

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:52 am

I got my cable from the local mini dealer this morning and put it in and all is well. A little while ago, I pulled the air vent out, and took the clips off so that I can now get it out without the hassle. It stays put very nicely so I see no reason to put the clips back on. :)

When I took the radio out there were no empty slots. I saw a white connector and mistakenly thought it was for the non-existent CD player NO THAT IS WRONG. The correct one to be removed if you have to, is black just as the replacement one is for the AUX. The new cables keyway would not allow me to put it in the wrong slot. That was a good thing. The wrong one is white in color the correct one is black. But again you really can’t do it incorrectly as the keyways are designed so that even a dummy like me can’t mess it up. :?

I am using it with my iPod and Zune. I have to turn the volume up a little, but with both devices it is working very well. :D

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:40 pm

i want to install the aux cable and keep my CD changer connected is this posible?
missing Sat nav, cruise control, xenon facelift lights, z4m rear bumper, z4m bonnett, turbo or supercharger but working on it!!

Laska

Post by Laska » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 pm

oliver.brace wrote:i want to install the aux cable and keep my CD changer connected is this posible?
Yes, it is, but as they both connect via the same connector you need to disconnect the pins from the aux lead and attach them to the existing CD connector (that should already be connected to the head unit).

I think the standard BMW TIS section covers this, I will try and find it if the above doesn't make sense?
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

oliver.brace

Post by oliver.brace » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm

does any1 know if it is posible to connect an aux cable in conjunction with a cd changer?
missing Sat nav, cruise control, xenon facelift lights, z4m rear bumper, z4m bonnett, turbo or supercharger but working on it!!

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Er, did you read the above post?

Yes. It has been covered in this thread before too.

cenetti

Post by cenetti » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:27 am

Ok guys, I need some help here.
I just received my cable from BMW Part # 82-11-0-142-174. They asked for $260 for installation plus $85 for the cable. So I am here :cry:
I read every guide out there, but I still have no idea how to get the vents out.

There are 2 small holes (left-center) and (right-center), is that where am I going to be using the flat head?
Do I need to push down or up or what?

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:47 am

I have been there done that, OK I am all thumbs, but it took me 2 months to do it and I read all the posts on most of the forums and had pictures and others give me advise. It was not easy for me and I had to kind of find my own way.

I got some tools like dental tools. One of them had a flat hook on the end. I used that one to pull the clip down. You could push it up and I tried that for a time, but you must pull it down. There are two of them and they are just under the front lip of the vent on top. There are other places that seem to be a clip but the ones you are looking for will pull down.

Now once you get one down I put another dental tool into the hole where the clip came down out of. Then I went on to pull the other clip down and did the same thing. Now both clips were down and staying down with the other tools pushed into the slots but I could not get the vent to slide out. I put some plastic tape on the edge of the vent opening so that a small thin screwdriver would not mar the finish of the dash and pried very carefully on one side and then the other. Slowly I could see that the vent was coming out.

In all the work I messed up the louvers in the vent, but you can rearrange them once the vent is out. There are two plastic posts holding each clip in place. I used a pair of dikes to cut the tops off the posts and pulled the damn clips off the vent after I got it out so I could take it out easier if I have to do it again. The vent stays put without the clips.

So it is not easy, but when you see the clips coming down you are on the right track and just keep at it. :)

Laska

Post by Laska » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 am

So it is not easy, but when you see the clips coming down you are on the right track and just keep at it. :)
That is the best single line of advice I have read on this! The key to it is that they pull DOWN!!

(Not that I spent an hour trying to push them up and wondering why nothing happened.. :oops: !)
2004 Titanium silver 2.5SE with 108s, electric M sport seats, carver pro stereo and xenons.

Kdawg

Post by Kdawg » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:47 pm

Sorry, but I got to post this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63039 :chairfight: :stoppimping:

Scroll down to post 22. It shows some good close up pics of the vents for anyone that's attempting to remove them. I'm thinking about getting a cable and trying this myself pretty soon.
Past: 1999 z3 2.8 - Arctic Silver Metallic
Present: 2005 z4 3.0i - Titanium Silver

cenetti

Post by cenetti » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Thank you guys. It helped A LOT! Yes, Pull Down. :lol: Whole thing took about 20mins, and I am darn proud of myself. I did a spotless, near perfect job!
And everything looks and works perfectly. Thanks again :driving:

Mattt

Post by Mattt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:43 pm

What Aux in did you use? It looks different to mine - I put mine through the funny thing in the ashtray (guessing for stubbing out cigarettes).

cenetti

Post by cenetti » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:03 pm

What Aux in did you use? It looks different to mine - I put mine through the funny thing in the ashtray (guessing for stubbing out cigarettes).
I used part # 82 11 0 142 174
It came with its own ashtray (aux built in). According to the manual that came with it, it says " replace the ashtray with (aux in/coin holder) " you don't use the original ashtray after its all done.