Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Build and install your own AUX Cable!

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Build and install your own AUX Cable!

Post by gannet » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 pm

ambok wrote:is this easy ti install. . ???
yes
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

thanks for the guide! so easy and works perfect :-) much better than paying the prices BMW wanted!
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

nick2310

Post by nick2310 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Everybody. i dont know if this forum is still looked at but was just wondering if anybody could help a little.

I have made the aux cable and tried fitting it into my z4 but i just cant seem to get it to work.

The problem is I have a 2003 z4 with widescreen business navigation, sat nav system with CD changer and amp in the boot.

I know the cable is working because i plugged it into the same pins that the sat nav voice comes through and could here the music i was playing when changing the sat nav voice volume.

When i tried plugging it into the proper pins, there was no aux option. i tried cutting the power to the radio head unit but still nothing.

Any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

avolkov

Post by avolkov » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Just made mine. Have navi and bluetooth. Works just fine, 2 hours of time (including installation) and 1,5 Eur of parts.

Did not remove the vents, reached throught the lover panel. It easy to reach the connector, you just have to know what to look for and where is the retaining clamp.

avolkov

Post by avolkov » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:21 pm

nick2310 wrote:Hi Everybody. i dont know if this forum is still looked at but was just wondering if anybody could help a little.

I have made the aux cable and tried fitting it into my z4 but i just cant seem to get it to work.

The problem is I have a 2003 z4 with widescreen business navigation, sat nav system with CD changer and amp in the boot.

I know the cable is working because i plugged it into the same pins that the sat nav voice comes through and could here the music i was playing when changing the sat nav voice volume.

When i tried plugging it into the proper pins, there was no aux option. i tried cutting the power to the radio head unit but still nothing.

Any help anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Try to make the connectors tighter, had simmilar problem at start, but then squised the connectors a bit.

DELBOY691

Post by DELBOY691 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Looks like the wrong value Caps being used, according to BMW, they sould be 0.22 F. Please follow link, http://www.m3resource.com/downloads/AUX ... trofit.pdf, and see circuit diagrams on last page. The value of the Caps will alter the frequency response of the circuit and therefore may be the cause of the poor bass response.

planetibo

Post by planetibo » Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

DELBOY691 wrote:Looks like the wrong value Caps being used, according to BMW, they sould be 0.22 F. Please follow link, http://www.m3resource.com/downloads/AUX ... trofit.pdf, and see circuit diagrams on last page. The value of the Caps will alter the frequency response of the circuit and therefore may be the cause of the poor bass response.
What is the GOOD value of the Caps that don't will alter the frequency ?

poppyseed

Post by poppyseed » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi there,

I decided that I would try and have a go at this aux cable for my bmw, and im pretty sure I got it all right, however, I am not getting an aux option on my radio :( I have attached a few pictures to display my efforts at creating the circuit, any and all help with it is greatly appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24435962/IMAG0019.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24435962/IMAG0020.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24435962/IMAG0021.jpg

I suppose there is a chance that I burnt out one or both of the capacitors, I know that it is easily done but im not convinced.

RyanTheFizz

Post by RyanTheFizz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:55 am

Hello,

Can anyone confirm what colors the cables are that go in the 6 and 12 pin locations?

Thank You!

m3rk

Post by m3rk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 pm

RyanTheFizz wrote:Hello,

Can anyone confirm what colors the cables are that go in the 6 and 12 pin locations?

Thank You!
Fitted mine yesterday and on mine the White cable went into pin slot 3, Red cable went into pin slot 4 and the Green cable into pin slot 10.

Mark

RyanTheFizz

Post by RyanTheFizz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:05 am

Thank you for the response, however I was referencing the two cables for the phone/sat nav that share the connector with the aux wires.
I will be working on this tomorrow and try and grab some pictures.

~Fizz~

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm

First post! Thanks for the guide - built my own last night and it works superbly. Bass is fine, very slight background hiss at volume but barely noticeable and may be able to eliminate that with better screening and connections.

Just becuase my soldering is, basically, abysmal, I built it using terminal blocks initially - also has the advantage of keeping the parts apart so reducing shorting risk (although you should still insulate everything). Will probably leave it like that as it makes component replacement a doddle if ever it fails - will mount it in a mini 'project box' though to further insulate and protect it. Like most folk...2 hours to get those blasted vents out, 10 mins to build the cable and 5 mins to install! Less than £7 in total using Maplin parts.

Next on the list...stubby aerial, retrofit steering wheel audio controls, gaptech dual module - yep, had the car a week and can't resist modding it already! Already done the foam pull from the sound generator.

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 am

Question. I cant decide if i want the contact in the front under the dash or in the compartment between the seats. Is it possible to connect 2 contacts in paralell? Could this work if I only use one at the time?
Best regards
Hosse
"Norway - Z4 2.5IA E89 - 320D F31"

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 am

Hosse wrote:Question. I cant decide if i want the contact in the front under the dash or in the compartment between the seats. Is it possible to connect 2 contacts in paralell? Could this work if I only use one at the time?
Should do, just bear in mind every 'contact' you add has the potential to add more noise to the circuit (especially if your soldering is as lousy as mine.)
2003 Z4 3.0i
Done: DIY Aux cable, stubby, sound generator foam delete, gaptech, brodit pro, M wheels, ditched RFTs
To do: Steering wheel audio.

Hosse

Post by Hosse » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Notify
Best regards
Hosse
"Norway - Z4 2.5IA E89 - 320D F31"