Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

kangaroo hop

"M" Specific discussion
scottie1979

kangaroo hop

Post by scottie1979 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 pm

I have been experiencing this problem since i got the car a few days ago. :oops:

It usually happens when going into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd. I select 2nd then come off the clutch and the car starts to kangeroo hop or judder under acceleration. Usually i just give it more gas and it pulls out of it.

Just wondered if anyone else has this happen to them?

I know it is probably my crap driving. Im used to coming of the clutch at a steady rate while applying the gas. But reading about the CDV perhaps i should just come straight off and let it do the work? New car requires new techniques....

Not after any driving tips just wondered if anyone else has had this? I would hate to do this with a mate in the car. Have my image to uphold ! 8)

zformula

Re: kangaroo hop

Post by zformula » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:21 pm

3 letters - CDV.

This should sort your problem out.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

ian in lancs

Post by ian in lancs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:34 pm

scottie1979 wrote:I have been experiencing this problem since i got the car a few days ago. :oops:

It usually happens when going into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd. I select 2nd then come off the clutch and the car starts to kangeroo hop or judder under acceleration. Usually i just give it more gas and it pulls out of it.

Just wondered if anyone else has this happen to them?

I know it is probably my crap driving. Im used to coming of the clutch at a steady rate while applying the gas. But reading about the CDV perhaps i should just come straight off and let it do the work? New car requires new techniques....

Not after any driving tips just wondered if anyone else has had this? I would hate to do this with a mate in the car. Have my image to uphold ! 8)
Is the engine cold and the kangaroo'ing stops when it warms up? Apparently the engine runs lean when cold to heat the catalyst up quicker and this causes a little hesitation and normal unleaded makes this a little worse.
I'm on my second Zed, a cosseted 2007 Interlagos Blue Z4M Roadster owned since new - 343 horses controlled by a donkey...

Daily driver is a 2012 X3 3.0d M Sport (fantastic) Wife has a 2015 325d Luxury

IAM Observer

Shunt

Post by Shunt » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:54 pm

I have this as well, more obvious when cold but can easily drive around that. It happens to me when pulling out of a junction in 1st, i think the traction is cutting in and out and amplifies the problem. I must be getting used to it now though as it doesn't happen as often. Replacing the CDV helps lots. :thumbsup:
Aston V8V

Veruca

Post by Veruca » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Okay, I didn't have the opportunity to experience the car before the cdv was removed but I still get the 'kangaroo hop.' Not the humiliating bucking - I learned that lesson after the first time it happened, but a little jerking no matter what. It definitely improves as the car warms up. Also, my down shifts are really abrupt - mostly from 3rd to 2nd. I'm trying to learn the heel/toe to remedy this but I still have a long way to go.

The HACK

Post by The HACK » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Keep your RPM up. It's a very touchy clutch, and the car's gear are spaced in a way that if your up-shift point is above 4,000 RPM your shifts smooths out.

On down-shifts make sure you blip the throttle accordingly. If your engine's RPM matches wheel speed you will feel no jerkiness.

inTgr8r

Post by inTgr8r » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:33 pm

^+1 4K is magic :)

scottie1979

Post by scottie1979 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Good to know it isnt just me.

It can happen when the engine is hot or cold. I haven’t noticed any difference. Nothing to do with the traction control the light never flashes during.

Obviously the warranty is voided if i get the CDV replaced? Have many of you done this? Aint the best under the bonnet so perhaps i will just try and keep the revs higher.

Thanks for all your help.

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:06 pm

You haven't got the sport mode on have you? Sport mode makes the car very prone to kangarooing around town.
Removing the CDV helps greatly too, you don't realise how wrong the clutch feels as standard untill you drive the car without a CDV.

Color

Post by Color » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:19 am

Don't worry - it's a matter of practice . . or should I say getting used to the clutch/throttle settings. I drive with sports on most of the time and manage to drive quite smoothly - The first times were a kangaroo nightmare though.

All Pina

Post by All Pina » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 am

Removing the CDV does help, but is not the total solution. I am now more concious that I need to lift clutch to full travel on the 1-2up shift, and as said keep the right foot "in" on revs. Rightly I suppose, the setup seems to favour an agressive approach. And yes, dont even think about Sport mode around town. I am still smarting from the humiliation of kangarooing off a roundabout, closley followed by four hysterical lads in a small Pug :oops:
The 3rd chapter in my Z4 odyssey - 35is Melbourne Red, Black Kansas, DCT, 326M 19"s.
Now the 4th chapter - SDrive20i M Sport Manual, Sapphire Black, Beige Kansas, 326Ms

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:21 pm

The only solution once your hooping is to power out of it, but its not a great look!

I guess its a bit like a Tank wobble when on a bike, power out or hope for the best.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

Gauss

Post by Gauss » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:46 pm

It's possible to compensate for CDV once you learn how to drive it more. After a year I don't even notice the issues.

Merefield

Post by Merefield » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:08 am

Gauss wrote:It's possible to compensate for CDV once you learn how to drive it more. After a year I don't even notice the issues.
I'll second that. You don't need the CDV removed to ensure smooth shifting, you just need to "get into the groove" and learn the feel of the transmission to get the best out of it.

Whilst i respect the decision of those that have, I personally wouldn't remove the CDV. Its there to reduce shock on the drivetrain and i'd rather trust this risk reducing design of the extremely capable BMW engineers.
///Merefield

MyMRoadster

Post by MyMRoadster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:32 pm

It only happens to me when there is a good looking gal checkin' out my car. :| I'm sure it looks like a bucking bronco (or a kangaroo) as I make my way through the intersection.

I blip on all downshifts, even in my pickup truck ... so I rarely see it then. But from 1st to 2nd it is an issue, especially in sport mode.
-Dave
2006 BMW ///M Roadster
2004 BMW 530i