Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New sub and head unit self install Z4 2.5SE 04.

brittas

New sub and head unit self install Z4 2.5SE 04.

Post by brittas » Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am

I have just finished self installing my old 'under the seat AMP' and DVD head unit to my old 6 speaker systen (non amp'd). I wasn't sure wether to take the job on my self. You really want the sub/amp under your seat but its not practical on z4 due to having seat raised too high. I had to buy various cables. I have also fitted steering wheel control adaptor for z4-JVC head unit. The improvment is fantastic. You would be better off stealth fitting subs and amp like the updraded BMW system.I had this sub/amp sitting in my garage so seemed a shame not to fit it.
The vents were a pig to remove when gaining access to stereo but the fit went smoothly enough. Handy having battery in boot.Its great having USB stick now rather than multichanger CDs

swold

Re: New sub and head unit self install Z4 2.5SE 04.

Post by swold » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Nice Job, looks great!

Got the same head unit which i'm going to put in my Z4 at the weekend, had it in a Vectra with reversing cameras fitted, bypassed the handbrake safety so the Mrs could watch DVD's, and had the ipod connected to it, great system. :thumbsup: Shame the speakers in my Zed are pants, will probably change them next!

Anyway, noticed you've got the proper BMW adapter plate, did you have any problems fitting? :headbang: I had a quick look at mine and it looks like you install the black insert part first, then the air vents and then clip the grey surround afterwards...then slide the stereo in. Does this sound right, cos i can't see how you would get it out again once the grey surround is fitted....unless you have a really big stick!

Wish me luck. Swold

chris

Post by chris » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Can you get decent amounts of audible bass through then?

brittas

Post by brittas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:00 pm

A definate increase with hood up. Not mind blowing...depends on the track playing ... perhaps another sub/amp next to it would be an idea.