Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dent

Z4 Beemer

Dent

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 pm

About 2 weeks ago, some inconsiderate b4$t&rd opened their red door into the rear passenger side panel of the Zed. :evil: Finally got round to getting it fixed today from Dent Devils:

http://www.dentdevils.co.uk/home.php

I managed to polish out the red mark quite easily, but the dent really annoyed me. Initially I emailed Dent Devils with a few photos , and they thought it should be repairable, and I thought they would be able to get to it from behind by going in where the rear window drops down into.

When the Technician arrived and tried this route he said there was some kind of double skin where the window is, so this wasn't an option.

Next he took the bit of plastic trim off at the part of the frame of the passenger door (the bit where all the stickers are). He thought he could get in from one of the small holes there, but the holes are angled and the various tools he had couldn't quite get at the dent from behind.

Finally he started prodding round at the rear wheel arch! He pulled back the plastic liner and was able to get various weird shaped tools up, and gradually massaged the panel back into shape. I have to say, watching this was quite amazing. He kept moving his light around and occasionally tapped the panel from the outside. After about an hour the panel was back in perfect shape, and I do mean perfect shape!!!!

Obviously some Technicians do a better job than others, but a BIG thank you has to go to Laurie Pollachi and Dent Devils for a highly professional service. :D :thumbsup: Highly recommended.

No "after" pics, but the panel looks totally new again. :D
Last edited by Z4 Beemer on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Dent

Post by Taz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:05 pm

can we ask how much?

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Taz x wrote:can we ask how much?
Yes, of course you can ask! :D

They originally quoted £75 + VAT = £88 when I emailed. The Technician said £75, but I had no change, so gave him £80... who said the Scots are tight with money :P :rofl:

It was a first class repair and he really did take a lot of time and showed great attention to detail.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm

not bad at all, his travel time plus labour, well worth it

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Z4 Beemer wrote:Finally he started prodding round at the rear wheel arch! He pulled back the plastic liner and was able to get various weird shaped tools up, and gradually massaged the panel back into shape. I have to say, watching this was quite amazing. He kept moving his light around and occasionally tapped the panel from the outside. After about an hour the panel was back in perfect shape, and I do mean perfect shape!!!!

Obviously some Technicians do a better job than others, but a BIG thank you has to go to Laurie Pollachi and Dent Devils for a highly professional service. :D :thumbsup: Highly recommended.

No "after" pics, but the panel looks totally new again. :D
Good to hear :thumbsup:

Had a similar experience with the ChipsAway lot in Reading... it really is an art, not just the result but how they get into he panels in the first place.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Chipsaway were 2nd on my list - a lot of people seem to have good experiences with them also. It obviously does depend on the actual Technician carrying out the work, but as you say its an art! :D

Teuchter2000

Post by Teuchter2000 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Glad you got it sorted Beemer..... going in through the arch eh ? That's a handy tip..... I'll probably need to rely on that when the inevitable happens..... Why fer f**k is it that... whenever I go shopping - altho I always park as far away from any other cars as possible..... by the time I've returned to it it's invariably surrounded by a bunch of others.... ffs !!

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:47 pm

The Technician actually said that if it was the same spot on an Audi TT, then the wheel, and wheel arch liner would need to be removed. At one point I think it crossed his mind that he might need to do the same on the Zed!

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:19 am

[quote="Why fer f**k is it that... whenever I go shopping - altho I always park as far away from any other cars as possible..... by the time I've returned to it it's invariably surrounded by a bunch of others.... ffs !![/quote]

Doesn't just happen to me then :x hate that! Really pi**es me off that that carpark spaces are still the same size, while cars are getting wider. Don't get me started on garages and new build houses...

Glad you sorted Z4 Beemer :) worst I had so far are small scratches at the rear right end, polished out ok though.