Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

what do you think..?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Ben.

what do you think..?

Post by Ben. » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 pm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1681341.htm

I am interested to hear if anybody has run a 330i M Sport Touring.
It's the E46 about 2002, 2003 that I'm looking at.

The one above looks perfect for what I;m after. I need a Dog Charriott that will be fun to drive. Most have an auto box which I'm not sure about.
Is it the same box fitted to the Z4's?
Same engine as my Z4 which I think is fantastic!

This is just an example as I have to flog the Z the Swift Sport and purchase a new house first!

Note: Don't worry, I'm not going soft as I'm thinking of getting an ZMR next year to replace mine.
Ex-Z owner

James_G

Re: what do you think..?

Post by James_G » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 pm

I ran a 2001 330i Sport for a few years, although it was a saloon not a manual. Sold it to somebody who's now on here, and who then sold it to the Deputy Editor for BMW Car, who now runs it as a long termer.

They have the same engine as the pre-facelift Z4, being the 231 bhp, M54 variety where as the Z4 3.0Sis got the 262bhp, N52 variety. It's a great engine, nice a torquey and responds well to mapping, if that's your thing. I had a manual, which was a five speed. At some point late in the E46's life it got a six speed. According to Wikipedia, March 2003. No experience of autos, but I agree, manual saloons and tourings are hard to find.

To date it's the best car I have owned and mine always felt very fit. The ride is comfortable, as it didn't come with run flats and they are generally very well built. Lower arms are a weak point, I needed a new alternator and oddly a new radiator, all of which was done at BMW dealers, taking advantage of their discount on rates for older cars. Driving wise, nice and involving, although I was running a 944 S2 at the time, so it was more my everyday comfortable car and I tended just to cruise around in it, rather than give it the beans. Fuel economy was around the 33mpg mark, which was mainly dual carriageway stuff.

I'd have another in a heart beat if I was in the market for an estate. I love the shape, and I think they are far prettier than an Audi or Merc equivalent.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

James
2006 Z4MC, Silver Grey with Red Leather - Sold
2001 Honda Accord SE Executive, Eternal Blue with Black - Soldiering on

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks very much for the info!
So yours was the car they just put a new exhaust on? I seem to remember reading that at the airport last month.
I am very tempted, the A4 Avant just doesn't seem to get me excited.
My Z4 is the same engine and I love it, think I will have a look early next year at what is on the market.
Ex-Z owner

tjlazer

Post by tjlazer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:18 pm

My brother runs a 330 coupe and finds it very thirsty. We suspect it may have been chipped in a former life but it's still super smooth and fast enough (until you get in my M). Audis are so pricey I reckon the beemer will be much better value. If I was after an estate car it would be an rs4/rs6 of the same era as I think they're cracking cars but much more expensive to run.
WAS: black on black MR with carbon trim. NOW: IB/Champagne/Carbon ZMC

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 pm

James_G wrote:I ran a 2001 330i Sport for a few years, although it was a saloon not a manual. Sold it to somebody who's now on here, and who then sold it to the Deputy Editor for BMW Car, who now runs it as a long termer.
+1 James sold it to me :D

Great car only sold because I wanted a Zed. Friend of mine just bought a 2003 touring and loves the power and shape.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:24 pm

I had a 2003 330ci, it was faultless, a really good car
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

christurbo

Post by christurbo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I had an E46 MSport Auto and it is a lovely car. However Auto box failures are common - do some searching on bimmerforums, your looking at around £2.5-£3k for a reconned box. It used to get me paranoid! Nothing like a clutch and stick - nice and simple, I would search for a manual if I did it again.
2005 | E85 | Z4 | 2.5l SE | Black | Beige Oregon Interior | MFSW | BlueTooth | AUX In | Red Out Rear Lights | Smoked Front HL Corners | Carbon Fibre Trim | ZHP //M Gear Knob |
2006 | EP3 | Honda Civic Type R | Premier Edition | Track Prepared |

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks again! Something to keep my busy over the weekend.
Think it will have to be a manual however.
Ex-Z owner