Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mot requirements ?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
klarky

Mot requirements ?

Post by klarky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Wonder if you guys could help me out, I have an old 205 gti as a track day car. It's time for it's mot but the car has a few little issues which I'm unsure if it will affect the mot.

It has a couple of gauges not working, water temp and oil temp as far a I can make out. All the others are fine.

Other issue is that the radiator fan is not automatic, it needs to be manually turned on via a switch on the dash, it went through it's last mot with it's previous owner with this mod so I'm not worried so much by this. I was hoping to have a local Mechanic sort the car but he's on holiday till the end of the month, id like to get the car back on the road now if possible and have him sort the gauges later.

Car runs fine (it will when I put an earth cable on the alternator) and doesn't overheat or have any problems as far as i can tell, I was planning on just changing the oil / coolant / brake fluid / put some legal tyres on it and check the obvious things pre mot - will it pass or am i best waiting to have the mechanic look at it in 3 weeks?

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Mot requirements ?

Post by Breaker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 am

I wouldn't think those points would be on the MOT list to be honest.

Have a look here: http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuid ... ested.aspx
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

klarky

Re: Mot requirements ?

Post by klarky » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:10 pm

after some net research they dont check gauges on an mot as far as i can tell. not to worry though as i fixed them! there was a loose connection in my so called brand new alternator, which once put right solved a lot of other issues in the car.