Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stuck in Idaho USA due to RFT Failure & Wheel Crack

Rolf-Dieter

Stuck in Idaho USA due to RFT Failure & Wheel Crack

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Some of you may know that I am on a major trip across the USA (Route 66 then up the Coastal Highway 1 turned back inland in Origin now stuck in Idaho).

The Driver side rear wheel has a 2 inch long crack in it at the tire mounting rim on the inside. A new wheel is on order (should be a day or so until BMW has it).

Well I am stuck here in Idaho due to Wheel failure, RFT failure and premature inside wear of both rear tires.

What would you do?

1) Chance it driving back east (I have 3,000 KM to go) or get new tires?

2) Would you stick with RFT or get regular tires?

3) Have you changed your RFT? if so what did you change them to? I have 19" wheels.

See the pictures of the tire wear (18,000 KM ~ 11,184 Miles) here in the Idaho Album of my trip.

Thank you in advance fellows,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

http://web.me.com/solgain/Road_Trip_USA ... Idaho.html
2012 M3 with all options. My Last Car was a 2009 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
Have a Great Day! ............... Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Stuck in Idaho USA due to RFT Failure & Wheel Crack

Post by ksher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Cracked 19" rear wheels are well known problem here in UK. If the car goes over pothole at speed, the rear wheel may crack. BMW warranty does not cover cracked wheels.

I like the 19" 326M wheels. And for this reason and also more expenisve RF tyres, I did not upgrade mine.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd probably stick it out on the tyres until you get home, then you can think about changing them for something else. Shame about the wheels, they do look nice though.

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:05 am

Wondermike wrote:I'd probably stick it out on the tyres until you get home, then you can think about changing them for something else. Shame about the wheels, they do look nice though.
Thanks Mike,

That is also the recommendation of my service manager at home. He recommends to add 10% more air pressure for the rear wheels for the drive home on account of the inside tire wear. I am strongly thinking of picking up some Non - RFT in Chicago on my way past there, as I said thinking about it :)

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

PS. I posted this thread so that everyone driving a Z keeps an eye on the air pressure and tire wear. I do on the air pressure check it quite often, never did I think of getting on the pavement and looking under the car from now on I shall use my digital camera as my eyes and check it at the same time I check my air pressure :) Besides I am too old to get down on the floor might never get up again :rofl:

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:41 am

So it sounds like BMW still have this 19" wheel crack problem!! Well documented in the UK that one. :?

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... heels.html

Update to the story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... alter.html

I have 18" RFT's and the rears needed changing around 12,000 miles!
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 am

Wondermike wrote:I'd probably stick it out on the tyres until you get home, then you can think about changing them for something else. Shame about the wheels, they do look nice though.
X2...and sorry you had such a problem... :(
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Breaker wrote:So it sounds like BMW still have this 19" wheel crack problem!! Well documented in the UK that one. :?

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... heels.html

Update to the story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/200 ... alter.html

I have 18" RFT's and the rears needed changing around 12,000 miles!
Thank you ever so much for this post and background information. Much appreciated. I am also faced with so far one wheel and 2 rear tire replacements after 18,000 KM I will certainly investigate different wheels and Non - RFT for my car. I like this Z4 and plan to keep it, I just don't plan to change rims and tires after such shot use.

Thank you again,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

No problem! :thumbsup:

I like the 19" wheel style on yours and was thinking of upgrading at some point, but I have grown fond of the 18's on mine and now your problem has just sealed the 19" fate!! :wink:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 pm

One more thing. My 18" tyre wear was nothing like yours where it wore on the inside edge. Mine was quite uniform across the tyre tread.

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Breaker wrote:No problem! :thumbsup:

I like the 19" wheel style on yours and was thinking of upgrading at some point, but I have grown fond of the 18's on mine and now your problem has just sealed the 19" fate!! :wink:
I have these 19"s and specifically asked if there was any problems with them (after seeing the watchdog programme online) before I bought car and the dealer told me that they had sorted the problem and it was only 3 series and a different style of wheel that had ben effected so not to worry.
Some 3 series owners had came in and swapped theirs for 18"s.
Well if i need to swap mine I'll be looking for money as I paid a bit more for the 19"s. :x
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

I spoke to my local service manager and he says the 19" rims have been modified, but I still believe these problems will arise with 19" rims, low profile tyres and stiff suspension. At the end of the day sometihng has to give.

My boss has a Jaguar XFR and after 2000 miles and 2 months had to replace all 4 wheels due to the pots holes we had with all the snow and Jaguar didn't want to know, so it's not just BMW.

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 pm

shambolic wrote:I have these 19"s and specifically asked if there was any problems with them (after seeing the watchdog programme online) before I bought car and the dealer told me that they had sorted the problem and it was only 3 series and a different style of wheel that had ben effected so not to worry.
I also asked the same question after watching the Watchdog program and I was given the exact same answer! :) so I ordered the 19" for my new car :driving:

Rolf-Dieter

Post by Rolf-Dieter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Update for you Fellows;

The new rim arrived yesterday morning at BMW and they directed me to a tire shop near there dealership (BMW does not have the equipment to change tires only to check pressure LOL).

Anyway I had the tire shop check all my wheels for cracks and low and behold the passenger side rear now also has cracks. So now I am the owner of five 19" wheels 2 of them being cracked. The one on the passenger side has two what I call hairline cracks. The wheel still holds the pressure so I decided to change the driver side rear and head for home. I am now taking a break at Starbucks and hope the passenger side holds out until I am home. I paid $666- US for the replacement rim (taking it back to my Canadian dealer for warranty).

I have a fairly good idea why my rear wheels have cracked. Keep an eye out for a post I will issue on the subject. If I don't get satisfaction from BMW I will arrange a class action suit against BMW on the tire cracking issue. If you like to find out how many people out there have the same problems then just Google "BMW 19 Inch Wheel Cracks" and read all about it.

I will add some photos in my Idaho Photo Album including the crack in the driver side rear wheel.

Meanwhile I am still 1,500 miles from my house in Eastern Canada, with every mile I hope and pray that the tire pressure alarm does not come on, driving with two bad rear tires and 2 cracks in the rear passenger side wheel. I guess you know what I mean.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Think I will stay with my 18" until further research!! :?

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:40 pm

An owner of 6-series told BBC Watchdog he had five cracked 19" wheels in 2 years. Total replacement cost was over £2k.

When I collected my 23i 2 months ago, dealer tried to sell me alloy wheel protection insurance. But they said that cracked wheel would not be covered by the insurance.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).