Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mini cooper

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Mini cooper

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Hey guys...
Thinkin of selling the zed...its all very sad etc but unfortunately i might hafta down-grade due to gettin a place so need money for rent
So much for plans of an m3 :roll:

So yes decided that if things do go ahead i ll look at gettin a mini
Has anyone driven or owned a mini cooper?? Any advice etc
Id prob spent about 10-12k so looking for a 2007 or later car cos its the facelift one
Would obv love a cooper s but insurance is 500 more than cooper and im not really makin much of a massive saving by swappin the z4 for a cooper s
Albeit the cooper s is faster than the blueflash
So yehhh
Do i save a tiny bit and get a cooper s
Or do i save quite a bit and get a cooper
Would prob be able to get a nicer cooper and its not that much slower than blueflash anyways
Yeh slight waffling there :D thanks guys
Lotus Exige 350

Nosa

Re: Mini cooper

Post by Nosa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Woots & Blueflash wrote:Hey guys...
Thinkin of selling the zed...its all very sad etc
:o :(

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Nosa wrote:
Woots & Blueflash wrote:Hey guys...
Thinkin of selling the zed...its all very sad etc
:o :(
:(

at least if i save a bit now for a few years...then in 3 years time i ll be older and be able to get the 2013 bmw z4m super dooberie extreme :driving:
Lotus Exige 350

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Tough call Woots and I think you may be disappointed by the combination of amount you might actually save, performance, etc.

My daughter has the facelift Cooper S and it's a bucket of fun, but highly unreliable and endless warranty work, so would certainly not be a cheap swap. The Cooper itself is a pretty slow creation just being a chipped Cooper (no turbo, etc.)

Do the maths carefully as you may just end up swapping the blueflash for a 4 seater, not really saving much and getting a different car with it's own new set of problems
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:13 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Tough call Woots and I think you may be disappointed by the combination of amount you might actually save, performance, etc.

My daughter has the facelift Cooper S and it's a bucket of fun, but highly unreliable and endless warranty work, so would certainly not be a cheap swap. The Cooper itself is a pretty slow creation just being a chipped Cooper (no turbo, etc.)

Do the maths carefully as you may just end up swapping the blueflash for a 4 seater, not really saving much and getting a different car with it's own new set of problems

hmm i hear what ur sayin...and basically im only doin this to save money
so maybe a cooper s is out of the question, id rather keep the zed than have a cooper s
hmm
basically finance on the zed for me is 330 a month
but if i swap to a 12k cooper im lookin at about 210 per month and a lot less insurance
or i looked at doing a "mini purchase" finance thing and it costs about 270 per month but at the end the car is yours...rather than payin the lump sum at the end like u do with normal finance

but i thought maybe just go for the cheapest finance (cheapest payment per month) and then in 3 yrs when it would come to the end of the agreement i'll be in a better financial state and then just get rid an buy a real car
so thought if i save 80 quid a month id be makin a bit of a diff??
hmmmm
Lotus Exige 350

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:14 pm

+1, I think either get a ford fiesta and save some proper money or keep what you have... swapping out to a Mini is not going to save you much at all in the long run.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Tough call. To be honest, given that you want to save, I'd reduce the budget for the next car (dramatically) and for some open top fun go for a 2004 - 2006 MX5 - great fun to drive, on the twisty stuff very quick and a reliable car (just get a UK one).

If you do want a Mini, I'd get the earlier model, and save a load more. As CJ said, don't expect an easy life from a car you don't know the history of, you may get it, but don't expect it!

I think Blue Flash should be easy enough to sell - with the 16s and the correct provenance it has probably become a collectors item :P

EDIT: Pretty much CJ + sp3ctre +1
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:19 pm

gosh u guys are so wise...
i literally wanna save about 100 quid a month if i can
so finance of 230 is my budget, and ideally i dont want anything too old...cos im a snob basically lol
aahh i dunoo, i was looking at a polo and then rememberd about the mini
mmhhmmm decisions decisions
Lotus Exige 350

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Also what would happen if say when i go to the dealers blueflash is worth say....11k..but if i owed say 12000 (i duno how much i owe) and then manage to get them to part ex the amount i owe on the car

but then say the car i buy is worth 10k...do i basically act like i start out with nothing? so have zero deposit etc so i basically forget about the zed?
Duno how much my car is worth...yes it is deperately rare :P very collectible and i might sign the dash to add further value
Looked on parkers and it said the value was about 10k ishhh but my cars done about half the average mileage
so yehh
Lotus Exige 350

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Woots - Your third post (response to mine) concerns me more than the first!! If you want/need to save money now then that's fine and understandable, but watch out for what you are doing now Vs the longer term.

I assume your 1 year plus into 3 on the Zed, coupled with 'Dads' finance. Swapping to a new deal will get you a new 3 year or longer term. You mention 'normal' finance, but describe a PCP, which is a really expensive way of doing things.

I'm not for one moment disagreeing with the logic of changing to a cheaper piece of motoring, but don't jump to something that will cost you dearly over the next 2 to 5 years for waht on the surface seems to be around £100 pcm less (plus insurance savings)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

klarky

Post by klarky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:38 pm

if you really want to save why does it have to be a newish car, plenty of older fun cars out there for buttons. then in a few years you can afford the bigger / more powerful stuff. my girlfriends looking at used 2007 seat leons and for £7k its a lot of car and has plenty of go, plus it runs on the devils fuel so can be remapped if it ever needed more. i do like the minis but agree as far as savings go it might not be quite what your thinking, but then they do hold value so come resale time you may recoup some costs vs another car.

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Woots - Your third post (response to mine) concerns me more than the first!! If you want/need to save money now then that's fine and understandable, but watch out for what you are doing now Vs the longer term.

I assume your 1 year plus into 3 on the Zed, coupled with 'Dads' finance. Swapping to a new deal will get you a new 3 year or longer term. You mention 'normal' finance, but describe a PCP, which is a really expensive way of doing things.

I'm not for one moment disagreeing with the logic of changing to a cheaper piece of motoring, but don't jump to something that will cost you dearly over the next 2 to 5 years for waht on the surface seems to be around £100 pcm less (plus insurance savings)
hmm okay okaaayy
yeh its pcp i have an im almost 1 year into a 4 year agreement
hmmmm, whats the better way of financing a car then? just a regular bank loan jib job?
maybe i should look at spending closer to 8-10k and save a hell of a lot more money?
Lotus Exige 350

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:57 pm

woots you need to sell your body more, you could easily make up the extra, you just need to try harder :)

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Taz x wrote:woots you need to sell your body more, you could easily make up the extra, you just need to try harder :)
ever since u took my corner spot...business just isnt quite the same :wink:
Lotus Exige 350