Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is there an ideal spec for a Z4MC?

"M" Specific discussion
markos

Is there an ideal spec for a Z4MC?

Post by markos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:06 am

Evening all

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this question :)

I'm interested in going for a 06/07 Z4MC in the new year, ideally I'd like a black/red combo with all the toys but wonder if there are certain options that most owners want and some that don't really make much of a difference?

I currently have a 55 plate E46 M3 convertible which would be described as fully loaded: HK speaker upgrade, 19" wheels, elec. folding mirrors, heated seats and Sat nav, and it's not hard to find E46 M3s that have that full spec. With Z4Ms, I'm sure I'm seeing most with a mixed set of options rather than the 'full set'. From what I know so far (limited!) I think I'd want a Z4MC with heated seats, elec. folding mirrors, rear parking sensors, sat nav and decent sound system. Does this list sound achievable, is there anything else I should look out for?

Any info and help appreciated! :thumbsup:
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

ga41

Re: Is there an ideal spec for a Z4MC?

Post by ga41 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 am

As long as it has the upgraded stereo and sat nav, parking sensors, folding mirrors and maybe the CD changer i'd consider it a good spec. Heated seats are only worth it if you live in a cold climate, privacy glass means only the rear hatch glass and those tiny rear portholes are tinted and the storage pack is just a few tiny little pockets. My opinion...
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

BaJ

Post by BaJ » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:04 am

I'd list the following as the most important, others may disagree and have their own choices:

- Sat Nav
- Logic 7 upgraded hi-hi
- Bluetooth connectivity

After that heated seats seem popular but they've never bothered me. Your sat so far back in the car that rear parking sensors shouldn't be necessary, just look over your shoulder and that's the end of the car :wink:
Interlagos Z4M Coupe

ga41

Post by ga41 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:06 am

Oh yes, Bluetooth! Forgot about that, great thing to have. I use it everyday!
-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:49 am

ga41 wrote:Oh yes, Bluetooth! Forgot about that, great thing to have. I use it everyday!
:?

To do what? Surely can't be to make phone calls, not with that glourious RPI system...
"HELLO!
NO, IT'S NOT THE APOCALYPSE... I'M IN THE CAR.
IT A BIT LOUD!"

:thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

ga41

Post by ga41 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 am

PawnSacrifice wrote:
ga41 wrote:Oh yes, Bluetooth! Forgot about that, great thing to have. I use it everyday!
:?

To do what? Surely can't be to make phone calls, not with that glourious RPI system...
"HELLO!
NO, IT'S NOT THE APOCALYPSE... I'M IN THE CAR.
IT A BIT LOUD!"

:thumbsup:
That was actually pretty accurate... :rofl:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 am

The colour you are going for is right for resale as well. Some colours can be very difficult to shift.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:24 am

I wouldn't be without the privacy glass, elec folding mirrors, pdc and piano black interior (all of which I have :) )
I also have the upgraded sound system but even though it is very good I prefer the sound of the engine :driving:
Satnav is poor imo, and as for heated seats, why do you need them in a coupe :?
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:39 am

Remember we are speccing here for a "what most owners want", so you have to add the SatNav :poke: :rofl:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

It really is down to what you feel you need. Do you really want to buy a car on what it will be like to re-sell?

I was lucky in that my car came with pretty much all the options you could get.

The sat-nav is not great but at least it's built in. I now prefer the clean look of no sat nav but I like the fact it is built in on mine.
The folding mirrors are useful occasionally - yes I guess they are a must have.
Heated seats - yes they are nice to have.
Bluetooth - the built in hands free is not great so no great loss.
Cruise control - yes unless you just want it as a track car. I sue it all the time to keep my speed tamed.
Bi-colour leather - hate it and am glad I haven't got it.
Logic 7 sound sytem. It's naff and you are better upgrading the basic system IMHO.
PDC - yes that is useful when the windows are misted up and it gives you that extra bit of warning.
Cupholders - now they are a must - otherwise you will spill your drink!

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:48 pm

rear pdc
privacy glass
bluetooth
nav
cruise
cup holders
full extended leather
storage
ipod adaptor
folding mirrors
DSP hi-fi

one of the few things I havent got is heated seats, but its parked in the garage and not really missed the wet feeling I had in the M3

I'd give up quite a few options for the right low mileage car with warranty and the all important CSL OEM alloys
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:29 pm

I don't have the M, but if I were I'd want...

Definites:

1. Sat-Nav
2. Logic 7
3. Bluetooth

Would also like:

1. PDC
2. CC
3. Folding mirrors

Colours: Dark Blues, Black, Dark Greys, White.
Interior: Cream, Black or Red if the car is white
Dash Standard CF or Piano Black

RobertRO

Post by RobertRO » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:29 pm

I am coming from the E28 world. I had a 535i that I enjoyed for 10 years, and I have just purchased a Z4M Coupe.
I usually keep a car for long time (5+ years), and this long term commitment combined with the legacy of the E28 makes me believe that the best Z4M Coupe has the following profile:
a) full black (outside, interior - seats, dashboard);
b) as little electronic stuff as possible: no cruise control, no Sat-Nav, no bluetooth, manual seats, etc. Electronic gizmos become obsolete very fast and their reliability plummet when the car is getting old. With one exception: rear PDC, considering that the limited view through the rear window means taking a high risk when parking the car;
c) engine, drivetrain and suspension maintained maniacally.

Unfortunately, my Z4MC fits only the first line in the profile above.
I plan to post my profile and some info about my car, sometime soon.
-------
ex- E28 535i, 06/1986
ex- Z4 M Coupe, 09/2006
E32 730i M30, 03/1994

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Proof again there is a buyer for every car! Buy what u like
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

markos

Post by markos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Great replies guys, many thanks for all the responses! :thumbsup:

Reading all this bumps up my excitement and makes me want one right now!

Some good info and points raised; I'd missed bluetooth off my list by accident but I would want that. I have it in the M3 and it works great apart from the fact the caller can't hear a word I say... :headbang: I'm guessing things haven't improved much in Z4s from how it is on E46s!

I figured the satnav wouldn't be great as my current one is pretty clunky, but having something built-in can be useful and saves the hassle of carrying and fixing a TomTom/smartphone to the screen.

Of all the options mentioned I think CC and privacy glass are lowest on my list. I've rarely used CC on the M3 and figure I could get the rear windows tinted if I did want to go down that route. Interesting comment on the 19" CSLs, I wonder if they affect the ride quality that much on Z4Ms? I think I'd be happy with the standard 18"s: I've just spent £520 on two new rear 19" Mich PS2s on the M3 so buying cheaper 18" rubber actually sounds quite appealing :D

Right, I guess I better start getting my car ready for sale to free up some Z4M funds! Thanks for the info once again guys :thumbsup:
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes