Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New engines in Z4 [discussion not fact]...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Wondermike

New engines in Z4 [discussion not fact]...

Post by Wondermike » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:58 pm

...following on from my post in the lounge about the forthcoming twin turbo 135i I am wondering how long it can be before this engine appears in the Z4. I have read elsewheres that the mules that have been spotted are not Z4/6/8 or whatever they gets mistaken for, but are instead the current Z4 with the 335i engine.

Being honest, with all my city driving, a Z4 steptronic with the 335 engine would be a better bet than an ///M for me - I would definitely be interested in getting one of them.

I wonder when/if this will get announced? After all, they put the S54 into the Z3 despite it's age and forthcoming replacement so anything is possible.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:06 am

I have no idea... I do think this belongs in the Z4 area though, even though it is speculation :)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:07 am

Don't know, kinda on the fence on this one. The 335i is hurting M3 sales until the new M3 comes out later this year. Same effect will happen across all the models unless that engine is put as an option across the platforms also.

Personally I am kinda leery of a dual turbo, the //M is already expensive enough to maintain after the warranty runs out, imagine what it will cost with the turbos added in? Will be an added bonus to the tuner shops out there, it is much easier to raise HP in a forced induction car than it is with natural aspiration. With that said, I can already see the cars that are going to experience turbo meltdown to include half the engine :o, because they decided to run too much boost.

Food for thought..

Cheers!

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 am

I agree and believe that for myself the 335 engine would be the ideal combination and well 300 ft-lbs of torque... :thumbsup:
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 am

ovrkll wrote:...Personally I am kinda leery of a dual turbo, the //M is already expensive enough to maintain after the warranty runs out, imagine what it will cost with the turbos added in? Will be an added bonus to the tuner shops out there, it is much easier to raise HP in a forced induction car than it is with natural aspiration...
One of the reasons the ///M is expensive to service is because it uses solid tappets rather than hydraulic ones, and these all need setting when it's serviced. On the other hand, the blowers in the 335 engine are relatively low pressure (only taking it from 265 to 306bhp). This means it costs a fair bit less to service. Also, the costs (in the UK anyway) to extend the warranty are ridiculous.

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:15 am

Wondermike wrote: On the other hand, the blowers in the 335 engine are relatively low pressure (only taking it from 265 to 306bhp). This means it costs a fair bit less to service.
I think you meant turbos :P

If it remains OEM, then I agree. I was talking about after you get those mods (already available for the 335) to raise the boost. Most of us on here would not pass up cheap available upgrades to power. Which brings us back to what happens when the turbo fails due to overboost, whether mechanically or a software glitch in the A/F mixture?

Cheers!

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:35 am

I want my next Z to have a Hydrogen engine. I just got the latest issue of the BMW magazine and spent the whole afternoon reading the entire issue cover to cover. Now that sounds kewl. I wonder how much the Hydrogen will cost tho?
Member ZSCCA

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 am

flyboyaj wrote:I want my next Z to have a Hydrogen engine. I just got the latest issue of the BMW magazine and spent the whole afternoon reading the entire issue cover to cover. Now that sounds kewl. I wonder how much the Hydrogen will cost tho?
It's a good point. How much longer do you think we're gonna go on trying to get our hands on bigger and bigger gasoline engines?
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:51 am

takedown8 wrote:
flyboyaj wrote:I want my next Z to have a Hydrogen engine. I just got the latest issue of the BMW magazine and spent the whole afternoon reading the entire issue cover to cover. Now that sounds kewl. I wonder how much the Hydrogen will cost tho?
It's a good point. How much longer do you think we're gonna go on trying to get our hands on bigger and bigger gasoline engines?
I don't think gasoline engines are going anywhere anytime soon, at least not in our lifetimes. Too much dependancy and money to be made. Although it's bad for the environment, I just love the smell of petro and diesel burning, something about gas/oil mixture (boats, weedeathers, chainsaws), that smells good too. The roar of the engine in a muscle car...can't be beat.

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:54 am

Well, for some folks, power is fun, but to me 185hp is plenty for my 2800lb Z4. None of the articles adressed specifically the output of a pure hydrogen engine and/or the fuel efficiency. The one they have in the BMW H7 is a V-12 that is fashioned to run on either Hydrogen or Gasoline (due to the lack of Hydrogen Stations in the world for the prototype they needed it to also be able to fill up and run on gas). I think the engineers are still in the development and testing stage on a pure hydrogen engine as there was some talk of efficiency and better energy management, but no specific specs as of yet. Either way, I'm interested! If they would sell me one tomorrow I'd buy it, then just fashion a large hydrogen tank in my back yard, have it filled monthly and fill up the Z from it when needed.
Member ZSCCA

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by WLH » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:55 am

fire-n-ice wrote:I just love the smell of petro and diesel burning, something about gas/oil mixture (boats, weedeathers, chainsaws), that smells good too. The roar of the engine in a muscle car...can't be beat.
Ahh, just love when you talk that way... :D
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:02 am

fire-n-ice, I am a believer that the Earth's oil supply has the potential to run out in my lifetime. However, I really don't know. I am a huge fan of Ethanol, Hydrogen, Solar, and Wind. I would like to see the world diversify more in the energy sources that we utilize - create a little competition for the oil companies and generate some new emerging markets and create more jobs. The way I see it, it would be a win-win situation. But then again, I don't have ALL the facts...
Member ZSCCA

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:06 am

flyboyaj wrote:fire-n-ice, I am a believer that the Earth's oil supply has the potential to run out in my lifetime. However, I really don't know. I am a huge fan of Ethanol, Hydrogen, Solar, and Wind. I would like to see the world diversify more in the energy sources that we utilize - create a little competition for the oil companies and generate some new emerging markets and create more jobs. The way I see it, it would be a win-win situation. But then again, I don't have ALL the facts...
I'm picking up what you're putting down :wink:

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:08 am

IIRC, either Sweden or Norway has a highway running with Hydrogen stations along the route. The filling stations convert water into Hydrogen at what looks like a large soda vending machine. No cost in electricity was given for the daily operation of the machines.

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:34 am

OK - thread hi-jack, but admissable I believe:

ovrkll, There is some speculation as to the energy loss to create Ethanol and Hydrogen (i.e. it takes more energy to produce it than it outputs meaning that more coal or gasoline would be needed to manufacture the Ethanol or Hydrogen into a form that is usable in automobiles). But there are theories that the production plants could be located on a river or in a windy area and use hydro or wind power to produce. Lots of possibilities, just more research and a lot more initiative is going to be required to kick it off and sell the idea to the general public. Which means $$$, and lots of it for advertising, research and development, and implementation. If I had the money, I'd do it myself. And I'd love to be a part of it all. The tricky part is putting it all together in a mass-producable fashion that has the potential to be profitable and that is going to take a great leader with lots of experience to manage.
Member ZSCCA