Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another 5* for Bateman's Grange over Sands

Whether it's exceptional service or a bad experience, post them here. (Disclaimer: posters views are their own and not that of z4-forum.com)
Z4coupebeaver

Another 5* for Bateman's Grange over Sands

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Just picked up my MC from Bateman's following an inspection 1 service. They were not the cheapest at £710 for the service and brake fluid change on a 3 year old car but the service was outstanding. I did asked them to price match the dealer in Colne who were a little cheaper but they argued the service wasn't like for like.

In any case, their reputation won them the business.

On dropping the car off in the evening, they had a 60 plate 1 series petrol courtesey car waiting for me. I asked if they had a diesel as I was doing over 600 miles the following day and they changed it for one. The following day, I got a call from Andy (yes that one) who had been working on the car. He told me what he had done and the only real issue was the tyre pressures which were well down. He was a little patronising over this however I am a bit of an idiot for letting them fall so low!! so I'll let him off on that one. The main thing is, i was talking to a human being who I felt was as good as his reputation indicated.

He also advised that the mobility kit was past its use by date but warned that a replacement is £100 so may want to consider options other than BMW which shows to me they are thinking of the customer rather than trying to screw you for every penny.

He may have missed the inoparating n/s headlamp washer but I don't think that's part of the check anyway.

I picked the car up the next day (this morning). The reception staff were very efficient again, without being patronising or offensive in any way. The car was reversed into a space, centrally parked, the car was reasonably clean with all documents in order.

I know this sounds like a mundane review - shock horror the dealer did what they were supposed to and you are only £700 lighter but when you've dealt with shysters like Bowkers at Preston who make horse thieves look good, it is nice to get good service.

Altogether I had to drive over 200 miles in the 2 journeys to get the service done but I will certainly continue to use Batemans as long as their service is as good as this.

It also makes me want to use them for buying a car from them in the future.

10/10 - a full 5 stars as far as I'm concerned.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Another 5* for Bateman's Grange over Sands

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 pm

If the tyre pressures were that low, wouldn't the tyre pressure warning have come on?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

No, the manual says the indicator only shows sudden loss of pressure.

I had the car tucked away whilst we had the bad weather and I've only just taken it out. I was deliberate in not checking the pressures before it went in as I knew Bateman's should be checking them. I was just shocked how low they were!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Z4coupebeaver wrote:No, the manual says the indicator only shows sudden loss of pressure.
How sudden is sudden?

If it doesn't come on unless you lose 30psi in 1/10th of a second then I'm not sure how useful it would be :P
Trigger’s Z4MC

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 pm

I was paraphrasing the manual from memory but what it means is - if you get a puncture and the tyre deflates over a short period of time, the light will come on.

I think it works on the principle of comparing rolling diameter and if it changes in a reasonably short period of time, the warning goes off. It may even be comparing rolling diameter of all 4 wheels.

It says in the manual it won't detect a gradual loss.

I've never had a puncture (there's tempting disaster) so I don't know how well it works.

In any case - this is the first service I've had where I thought the garage was trying to satisfy the customer. I also felt this when I had some warranty work done by Elms in Cambridge who were outstanding as well.

Most other dealers have been OK but not outstanding. The only real exception are Bowkers Preston - not fit to sell or service wheelbarrows if my experience and my neighbours experience is anything to go by.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I understand, I was just being flippant.

Mine's only ever come on once, and I couldn't find any tyre that was below the recommended pressure, so I just reset it and it's been fine since.

Bateman's in one of the garages I've been recommended after receiving indifferent service from most of the ones in the Merseyside/Cheshire/Manchester area.
Trigger’s Z4MC

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Had mine In 1service there last July and echo your comments - excellent
10 M3 V8
07 M Roadster, Imola Red, Fully Loaded. SOLD
A Road Trip must contain - a visit to another country, an overnight stay, at least 500 miles.
It's not what you drive, it's where you've driven it that counts!

swanny71

Post by swanny71 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 pm

My local dealership - they've always been very helpful (info, advice, test drives etc.) even though I've never actually 'used' them. Will definately use them when the M3 or (possibly) Z4MC needs work or service.
F20 M135i - current
E86 Z4 3.0 Si - looking for one
Previous BMW's: 1M,130i, E90 M3
Previous others: Cayman R, Exige V6, TVR’s (T350c, Griff 500, Chim 500), 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6

Z4coupebeaver

Post by Z4coupebeaver » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 am

mmm-five wrote: Bateman's in one of the garages I've been recommended after receiving indifferent service from most of the ones in the Merseyside/Cheshire/Manchester area.
Re dealers in Merseyside/Cheshire/Manchester - I found them indfferent, Bowkers didn't even get up to that standard!

The reason for the post is that the experience with Batermans was a nice change.

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 am

Batemans! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yas Marina Blue 35i.