Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The one you wished you still had

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

The one you wished you still had

Post by ZermattV » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 am

I love my Zed to bits .. but if there was a car if i could get back in the condition i owned it in i would get one in an instant.

mine was an MX-5 1.8 Phoenix SE like this once http://www.mx5-mazda.co.uk/phoenix.htm

sold it after 2 years to buy something sensible (Audi A4 1.8 T) .... .. one of the reasons i got rid of it was the local mazda dealer managed to ruin the paintwork on the bonnet by grinding or similar near the car .. despite many attempts to get it sorted it out it was never the same ... this and 3 hoods in 2 years meant it was time for it to go......... big mistake ..

still hanker after another metallic grey and brown leather roadster ..... perhaps an E89 in space grey with walnut leather.

So if there's one you could get back which one would it be ?
Last edited by ZermattV on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Re: The one you wished you still had

Post by a11y » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am

Strangely, this:

2006-08-23 (2) by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

It remains special to me because:
1) it was my first "proper" car with a bit of performance and decent handling
2) it's the only new car I've owned
3) I'd modified it to pretty much ideally how I wanted it (H&R coilovers, proper alignment set up, front Cup splitter)
4) it was just so much fun to drive

It's bittersweet because it was tragically unreliable although that was largely due to the incompetence of the (multiple) Renault dealers I had the displeasure of dealing with, who just couldn't fix simple things that went wrong. I got so hacked off with their attitude that I traded it in on a whim for a Honda Civic Type R and never quite got on with the Honda. Hindsight is a wonderful thing: I know now I should've stuck it out despite the problems and got things fixed myself and not worried about the warranty.

Good idea for a thread :)
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

JayD

Post by JayD » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 am

Good Shout Ally, that was my first "proper" car as well so to speak and I loved it.

I only parted with it to move to a Mark IV R32 which I also loved. I wish I still had both of them to be honest :)
Interlagos Blue Coupe, CSL's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's and Strut Brace - Gone but not forgotten.......

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Great thread.

Mine would be my first car (and sports car) 1970 m
MG Midget Mk III. - 1275 . White with black interior. My first convertable... ... Changed my outlook forever....!
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

My John Cooper Works S MINI (the supercharged one). Wish I'd kept hold of that as a weekend car!

Fantastic drivers car!

3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 pm

My 1976 308 GTB (fiberglass model) sold it because my left arm and left leg were developed like "Superman's" :cry:
Last edited by Kryton on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Guess mine would have to be my old Peugeot 405 MI16 4X4, got some pictures of it at home somewhere. It was not the prettiest of cars or the fastest thing but it was by far the fastest car I had owned to that point, it stuck to the road like glue and has left me forever yearning another 4 wheel drive car.
I had an old 2.0 Capri before it and decided that at the grand old age of 24 I had to get a proper car but had no idea what I wanted (XR's and GTI's were all the rage if you could get insurance), took a day off work and drove round loads of garages in the area and ended up at Charters in Aldershot, it was love at first sight, plus they let go me go on the test drive all on my ownsome.
Only had it 1 year before getting a company car but that was long enough for it to get stolen off my driveway and discovered about 1/2 mile from I where I lived.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Kryton wrote:My 1976 308 GTB (fiberglass model) sold it because my left arm and left leg were developed like "Superman's" the clutch and gearchange were BAD, sold it 2.5 years later.

Cost me new £12k cars now selling for £35k :cry:

i had a scimitar, this was also fibreglass and just like you my left leg was massive lol

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

I'd happily buy back my...

Corrado VR6 - like a Z4MC with 4 seats, did a LOT of track days in this over 5 years, spent a fortune on tuning it, and only got rid as I needed more space

First e34 M5 - pussycat on the limit, and so easy to slide, and veteran of 20 track days, but cost about £1000 a track day
Last edited by mmm-five on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

jonnyfive

Post by jonnyfive » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Y reg porsche 944 in champagne gold ( silver )metallic , one of the best handling cars i have ever owned , sorry no pics
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:16 am

I had one of these...

...and I'd have it back in a flash..... :(
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

roofless

Post by roofless » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am

Like zed five mine would be my old MG midget, '72 1275 British Racing Green, lived in her for 3 months travelling round europe, at 6'4 i looked liked Noddy driving round and, now i'm about 4 stone heavier than i was then, i think she is best left as a memory cherished rather than an experience to be relived. There's something to be said for 'never go back', nostalgia is sometimes best as just that :)
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

cj_eds

Post by cj_eds » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 am

Tough one for me but the wife's Puma edges it over my ST200.

ImageImage

Loved the Mondeo, the V6 was superb (although I've now discovered the BMW straight 6 is lovelier...) Sounded beautiful when you floored it and when cleaned and polished the colour was stunning. Even as a ten year old Mondeo people commented to me that it looked & drove fantastic. Although it was quick for a family hatch in the year 2000, by the year 2010 diesel VAGs where becoming my nemesis.

But the Puma can't be beaten. Fun per pound it's still leagues ahead of the Z4 even. I cost us about £1500 from memory and made me smile everytime I drove it. Made me realise after owning a series of bigger cars that small ones can be far more fun. Used to be able to chuck it around like nothing else and the 1.7 was surprisingly nippy given how light the car was. If it hadn't met with a sticky ending we'd still have it and I'd probably not have bought the Z4, would've ended up with an M5 or Evo or similar to replace the ST200 instead.

(Edited to add real pictures)
Last edited by cj_eds on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:20 pm

I was sensible and already knew which ones were keepers so still have them now :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:35 pm

The first one I would have back is my old Toyota Supra twin turbo (the one before my zed)
And my second choice would be the one before the Supra, My old Soarer twin turbo.
Both awesome cars.

2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler