Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

RETRACTABLE ROOF PROBLEM

gypsyroadhog

RETRACTABLE ROOF PROBLEM

Post by gypsyroadhog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi All,
Very sunny weather today so I thought I would have the roof down on the Z4 I tried to retract the roof by using the key fob but nothing happened. It retracts and closes perfectly when using the buttons inside the car though. I have definitely done this using the key fob before. Anyone have any ideas :headbang:

roofless

Re: RETRACTABLE ROOF PROBLEM

Post by roofless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Nothing more than the obvious ones, key charged? Clear access to the car? Close enough? Door open?
I sometimes find the key fob can be a little problematic, hold it down the lights flash and then nothing happens, on second attempt it's normally ok. There has been mention i think of a difference between models, some fobs have batteries, some recharge?!. I'd love to know how my fob (key fob that is) would recharge in the ignition as i can't see any way for it to connect to a charger.
I do find it a little frustrating that if you open the door whilst putting the roof down by remote that the roof process stops, i can understand, kind of, that it's a security issue but hey, how slow do they think bmw drivers move?
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 pm

I never use remote control to operate the roof, as it is not good for the battery if the engine is not running.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

zebedee

Post by zebedee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 pm

roofless wrote: There has been mention i think of a difference between models, some fobs have batteries, some recharge?!. I'd love to know how my fob (key fob that is) would recharge in the ignition as i can't see any way for it to connect to a charger.
Apparently, and according to the manual, if you have Comfort Access you will have a battery in your key that needs changing every few years and those without C.A. have a rechargeable key that is inserted in the dash slot. Interestingly it also says that only in exceptional circumstances should the battery key be inserted in the dash, wonder why ??
Alpine White sDrive35i with Ivory White Exclusive Nappa leather, 7sdct auto, V spoke 296's and now a smart top !

roofless

Post by roofless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 pm

zebedee wrote:
roofless wrote: There has been mention i think of a difference between models, some fobs have batteries, some recharge?!. I'd love to know how my fob (key fob that is) would recharge in the ignition as i can't see any way for it to connect to a charger.
Apparently, and according to the manual, if you have Comfort Access you will have a battery in your key that needs changing every few years and those without C.A. have a rechargeable key that is inserted in the dash slot. Interestingly it also says that only in exceptional circumstances should the battery key be inserted in the dash, wonder why ??
I don't have the comfort access and i'd love to know how the key recharges, i don't see any point of contact through the plastic
E89 35i manual, deep sea blue, pure white design package, adaptive M Sport suspension, multi spoke 293
'There's nothing so beautiful as the lingering scent of a warm summers day caressing you gently on the passing night air'

IanA

Post by IanA » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I suspect it uses a contact less inductive loop process. A bit like you will find in some other products like electric tooth brushes. An AC field is artificially generated from the 12 V DC supply then fed to an inductive coil within the keyfob housing in the dash. The secondary receiving coil is within the keyfob. The only link is the magnetic field between the keyfob and the housing in the dash which is converted back to DC (rectified) and that is used to charge the battery in the keyfob.
From Bond to BMW in 30 years :-)

roofless

Post by roofless » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 pm

IanA wrote:I suspect it uses a contact less inductive loop process. A bit like you will find in some other products like electric tooth brushes. An AC field is artificially generated from the 12 V DC supply then fed to an inductive coil within the keyfob housing in the dash. The secondary receiving coil is within the keyfob. The only link is the magnetic field between the keyfob and the housing in the dash which is converted back to DC (rectified) and that is used to charge the battery in the keyfob.
Thank you :thumbsup:
Nice zed by the way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: