Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken door mirror :(

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
chrismann85

Post by chrismann85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Unfortunately my wing mirror has fallen out onto the pavement as my car was parked outside my house. No idea how this happened. It was facing the curb, not onto the road so really confused. Anyway. It was just the glass that has fallen out, anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement?
Chris

05MY 2.0l Z4 - ToledoBlue/Oregon Leather, Ellipsiod 107s with Falken 452s, DICE, ZHP Gear Knob... no stubby!

WANTED: Sport seats, audio upgrades, MFSW... PM me

Greeno

Re: Broken door mirror :(

Post by Greeno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:09 pm

one word: ebay.

Stealers will want ~110 GBP

Dont know if the ebay ones will be heated though.
"Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools"

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 pm

The heating is not in the glass, but in the mount so that's not a problem.

The glass costs a lot as it can be curved, tinted, auto dipping, etc. Ebay is probably just a flat sheet of glass with ground edges
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 pm

my ebay mirror is curved just the same as the OEM one, even has the blind spot area the same :D

the edges of it aren't quite as well cut but to be honest when it is in situ you really cannot tell.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm

My mirror fell out last week, eBay replacement £12.99, fitted 15 minutes a go.

Fits fine!

Time will tell if the supplied adhesive pads work well.

lob808

Post by lob808 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 pm

gannet - you got a link to the curved one you bought?

mine fell out last week and I've not got around to sorting it yet. I have the actual mirror (it felt out into my hand whilst I was driving along) but the stealers won't sell a new pad for it and want £116 for a new mirror - which I begrudge when I have it .... its just not sticky!!
3.0i SE Met Sapphire black; OEM - Sat Nav|extended leather|Prof audio MD+6CD|Xenons|CruiseC|Elec folding mirrors|memory heated elec seats|wind def|Bluetooth|P.D.C
Mods - custom 108's|Stubby|OT+R

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 pm

lob808 wrote:gannet - you got a link to the curved one you bought?

mine fell out last week and I've not got around to sorting it yet. I have the actual mirror (it felt out into my hand whilst I was driving along) but the stealers won't sell a new pad for it and want £116 for a new mirror - which I begrudge when I have it .... its just not sticky!!
I will have a look...

edit: it was from the seller 'car-parts-market': Z4 Wing Mirror I think is similar if not the same... (it was March last year...)

but if you have the mirror, why don't you just glue it back in?

the heating pad is more than likely still in the mirror housing...
-- Gannet.

lob808

Post by lob808 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:52 pm

gannet wrote:
lob808 wrote:gannet - you got a link to the curved one you bought?

I will have a look...

edit: it was from the seller 'car-parts-market': Z4 Wing Mirror I think is similar if not the same... (it was March last year...)

but if you have the mirror, why don't you just glue it back in?

the heating pad is more than likely still in the mirror housing...
yeah the black pad thing is still in the mirror housing..... was thinking of just superglueing it back on.... but didn't know how well it would work with the heat?
3.0i SE Met Sapphire black; OEM - Sat Nav|extended leather|Prof audio MD+6CD|Xenons|CruiseC|Elec folding mirrors|memory heated elec seats|wind def|Bluetooth|P.D.C

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:55 pm

I actually ended up having to stick the replacement in anyway and dispose of the supplied heat pad because it didn't fit the connector in the mirror housing. no great loss :D

I used contact adhesive seems to be holding up well enough... apparently you can also get some mirror adhesive or something which would likely do a better job..
-- Gannet.

lob808

Post by lob808 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 pm

ok - thanks for that mate. I'll try sticking it in and see how it goes. Thanks for that link.... might need it if mine drops out and I don't catch it next time!!

Sirwacko

Post by Sirwacko » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Mine fell out about 3 weeks ago best price I got was £112 for a gen part :-( but can't beat original

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Not knocking ghe Ebay one's was just pointing out some of the differences between oem and Ebay replacements. OEM is pretty expensive though :thumbsdown:

Take care with the gluing as the heater is on all the time the ignition is live, so you want to be sure the adhesive you use can resists hours and hours of gentle baking.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

lob808

Post by lob808 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:30 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Not knocking ghe Ebay one's was just pointing out some of the differences between oem and Ebay replacements. OEM is pretty expensive though :thumbsdown:

Take care with the gluing as the heater is on all the time the ignition is live, so you want to be sure the adhesive you use can resists hours and hours of gentle baking.
yeah - thats my worry :(

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 pm

lob808 wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Not knocking ghe Ebay one's was just pointing out some of the differences between oem and Ebay replacements. OEM is pretty expensive though :thumbsdown:

yeah - thats my worry :(
as said above mine was reaffixed with contact adhesive last march... still holding strong :D

and at £12 for one from ebay you could actually buy several before buying the OEM makes any sense at all...

edit...

also the OEM ones seem to fall off over time anyway so the OEM glue can't be much better...

and I also forgot to mention that while my drivers side fell off and smashed, while fixing the new one to it I just touched the passenger side one and it too fell off in my hand :o So both of mine are now attached with contact adhesive without issue :D
Last edited by gannet on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Gannet.

chrismann85

Post by chrismann85 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm

£110 is shocking. Looks like I'll have to go the eBay route. Thanks fir the help guys.
Chris

05MY 2.0l Z4 - ToledoBlue/Oregon Leather, Ellipsiod 107s with Falken 452s, DICE, ZHP Gear Knob... no stubby!

WANTED: Sport seats, audio upgrades, MFSW... PM me