Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

POLL: Z4MC prices over the next year

"M" Specific discussion

What do you think will happen to Z4MC values over the next 12 months? Will they...

Depreciate faster than normal
9%
Depreciate at the normal rate
43%
Remain about the same
41%
Rise slightly
7%
Rise significantly
No votes

Total votes: 54

glastoveteran

POLL: Z4MC prices over the next year

Post by glastoveteran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm

What do you think will happen, not hope will happen?
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds

glastoveteran

Re: POLL: Z4MC prices over the next year

Post by glastoveteran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Sorry this was meant to go in the M specific forum :)
Z4MC Silver Grey / Light Sepang / Nav / Logic7 DSP / Intravee / Bluetooth / Cruise / PDC / SPG / Electric folding and dimming mirrors / 19" E46 M3 wheels / Vreds

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

The only way is down :)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

peddy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by peddy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:58 pm

I think they'll have the usual dip from around October and then a slight increase from March where it'll stay level until the next dip the following October...

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah you're both right - I'm just curious as people keep going on about it becoming a future classic.

I'm sure they seem to be about the same as they were this time last year which was another reason for asking.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Future classic until the E89 fixed hardtop V8 ///M comes along. They'll always be in demand but as can be seen on here by some folks trying to sell, they are still depreciating.

mikedav

Post by mikedav » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Wondermike wrote:Future classic until the E89 fixed hardtop V8 ///M comes along.
Good Z3Ms go for £18-£20k at the moment. Those are ten years old, so the Z4M has a few years to go yet. I don't think anyone predicting 'future classic' is expecting them to rise dramatically in price for a good 20 years yet, and even then its never going to make you rich.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah agreed. If you want an investment buy some shares in Rockhopper :D

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:28 pm

I think they will become a classic but that doesn't necessarily mean they will rocket in value. It's more likely that depreciation will flatten off on cars with below average mileage in good condition and then demand for those cars will increase which will start to push things up (as we've seen with the CSL M3).

If you look at the BMW Approved Used the prices they are asking are already firming up from 12 months ago, but particularly so for those with <20k miles. There is quite a noticeable difference now between very low and below average mileage cars on there. There are only 10 Z4MC's on the website this evening. For those with less than 20k miles the average asking price is £24.5k, for those between 20k and 30k miles it's £21.9k and for those >30k miles it is £19.8k. A fair few of those in the under 20k miles bracket had done 17k and all of the over 30k mile ones had done less than 34k. In other words a £5k premium for a 17k miler over a 30k miler. That's a lot !!

Why do I think they will be a classic ?
Rarity - only 500 odd registered and a low Coupe numbers overall because only available in 3.0 or 3.2 engine
Engine - last of the S54 engines
Driver Aids - the last M Power car with manual gearbox, no i-Drive, Adaptive Dampers etc.
Looks - pretty good looking car

But it might take a few years to get to classic status. At the moment it's classed as a second hand performance car, not one with potential to rise in value and the £430 Road Fund, MPG, Service Costs etc will be deterring potential buyers who aren't interested in it's long term value prospects.

glastoveteran

Post by glastoveteran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks for the comments all, interesting viewpoints.

I guess my thinking behind it was how much more money would I lose keeping the car for another year or two - certainly not thinking about it as an investment! But also just wondering at what sort of age the price bottoms out, if any.

Of course none of this is possible to predict but I've always been curious about the Z3MC values and how they might compare to the Z4MC.

But yes I'd love to know that I could maybe keep the car for another couple of years and not lose much! :D

milu

Post by milu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Didn't EVO have the coupe down as a car not to lose much at all in the next year?

I've been looking a bit and agree prices don't seem to have gone down much lately.
2008 Z4M coupe Sepang Bronze,Champagne leather

adam81

Post by adam81 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Wondermike wrote:Yeah agreed. If you want an investment buy some shares in Rockhopper :D

:rofl: :thumbsup:

markos

Post by markos » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Interesting thread glastoveteran!

If it wasn't for rising fuel prices I think depreciation over the next 12 months would be minimal, but as they're high and will no doubt rise further I expect all performance cars to take a bit of a hit, but with the Z4MC being one of the rarer ones (on Pistonheads there's roughly 425 E46 M3s for sale and just over 20 Z4MCs) I think they will fare better than most.

The Z3MC is more iconic than the Z4MC and so I'm not sure if the Z4MC will follow exactly the same pattern in terms of residual values, but hopefully it won't be too far away from it :thumbsup:
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

Pope

Post by Pope » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Be intresting to see if this is the same for the roadster.

Are there more M roadsters than Coupe's as I though there were more Coupe???
My spelling and grammer is terrible, I'm very sorry.

Black Z4M Roadster purchased 5th March 2011

Pope - Can you guess what my name is??

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Pope wrote:Be intresting to see if this is the same for the roadster.

Are there more M roadsters than Coupe's as I though there were more Coupe???

Pope,

Slightly more MR's - think Sammyz found out the numbers - about 610 versus 570 odd M Coupes.