Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Couple of Z4 Maintenance Questions

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Ranier

Couple of Z4 Maintenance Questions

Post by Ranier » Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 am

Hi, All -

I am hoping to call upon the collective wisdom of the Z4-forum. I bought a 2003 last year with about 29k miles on it. I had the oil changed straight away with whatever the appropriate synthetic oil might be for the car. The sticker they placed on the window says I don't need to change the oil until 37k miles. The car is just a weekend ride and over the past year I've only gotten up to 32k miles. I don't have any experience with synthetic oil. The rule of thumb for standard oil is change it out every 3 months or 3k miles. What is the rule of thumb for synthetic oil in my type of situation (slight weekend use only)?

Also, what do you use to clean the dash all the way back to the windshield? I have the car care kit, but I'm not sure what the best product to use on the dash is. Would BMW Vinyl Care be the thing to use? The mention of silicone makes me nervous. http://www.bimmerzone.com/Car_Care_BMW/ ... 05183.html

Many thanks for any guidance you can offer on these.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Couple of Z4 Maintenance Questions

Post by mmm-five » Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 am

You'd probably get more replies if this was in the 'Z4 Discussion' section rather than on the section for comments on the forum itself.

The rule of thumb for these cars is that the oil should be changed when shown OR every 2 years - at a minimum.

If you're happy doing oil changes every 3,000 miles then do so, as it won't do the car any harm.

I stick to 6000-7000 miles between changes in the ///M.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options