Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wax coatings

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
fire-n-ice

Wax coatings

Post by fire-n-ice » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:58 pm

I wonder how many coats of wax y'all apply before using an electric waxer? I've got 4 on mine now, and hand-waxing just isn't producing the shine I want, but I'm scared of burning my paint. Do extra coatings of wax help prevent paint burn?
Thanks

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:10 pm

What kind of wax/polish are you using? A synthetic polish like Zaino will produce a deeper shine with more coats where as a carnuba wax will actually start to yellow some with too many coats. I do not beleive that extra coats will prevent burn. If you are using an electic buffer, you should always be very gentle - more pressure will not produce more shine, but it will produce more swirls and could burn through, especialy at sharp edges.

There is great thread on detailing over at Bimmer Post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthrea ... ailing+101
2006 Z4 3.0si Sapphire Black/Dream Red

AlanL

Re: Wax coatings

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:35 am

fire-n-ice wrote:I wonder how many coats of wax y'all apply before using an electric waxer? I've got 4 on mine now, and hand-waxing just isn't producing the shine I want, but I'm scared of burning my paint. Do extra coatings of wax help prevent paint burn?
Thanks
Not really. If you are looking for more of a wet look shine you might want to check out some of the synthetic sealants like Zaino or Menzerna FMJ. I have been using the Menzerna products and am delighted with how much more of a shine I can get out of them as opposed to carnauba based waxes.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:57 am

I polish things and make them real shiney with Zaino. Really. :roll:

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:07 am

thanks guys: Alan, it appears you also have a lighter colored Z. It's harder to get deeper shine out of lighter colored vehicles. I am using Blackfire right now, the one for lighter paints. I am very happy with the results by hand so far, but want to graduate to maybe a slower electic buffer, I think I'm ready for the big-time :wink:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:11 am

The buffer won't get you a better shine. It is all to do with surface preparation, full stop.

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:17 am

20ducks wrote:The buffer won't get you a better shine. It is all to do with surface preparation, full stop.
X2

If you clay-bar your car first you will be amazed at how easy the wax glides on.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:57 am

fire-n-ice wrote:thanks guys: Alan, it appears you also have a lighter colored Z. It's harder to get deeper shine out of lighter colored vehicles. I am using Blackfire right now, the one for lighter paints. I am very happy with the results by hand so far, but want to graduate to maybe a slower electic buffer, I think I'm ready for the big-time :wink:
Go for a Porter Cable random orbit buffer - it's almost impossible to burn a paint job with one of those. I have been using one for about 4 or 5 years and haven't screwed up a paint job yet, so obviously it really is idiot proof. :play:

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:02 am

f-n-i

What ever product you use, there is a process to get the most out of it. With your car only 5 months old, I don't see why you would need to clay bar. I would wash with dawn soap to remove all wax that is currently on the car. You would then want to use a polish ( some call it glaze ) or its equivalent for your product. I do the polish twice with a foam or sponge type applicator made for this job ( not a sponge from the sink ). When you do this, do small areas in the shade and as cool as possible surface, DON'T LET THE PRODUCT COME TO A FULL DRY! Use microfiber towels and wipe off the product while still damp. I then start with lite coats of wax. It does no good to apply heavy coats. I use the same type sponge like applicators. The flatter the surface you apply your product with, will help the way it turns out. My car is three years old and I have never put a buffer to it and I have that wet look ( or as much of one you can get on silver ). It is more the process used that will get you the results you are looking for.

This is just my opinion and others will have theirs.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:15 am

Better than all this is to contact a local detailer. Get good references and pay the person to do the job for you. Trust me, in the long run you will (and your car) be better off. :thumbsup:

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:27 am

Kinda agree with ducks on this one.

IMZ4N - I totally disagree on the need for a thorough detail job on a new car. From my perspective the dealerships don't even come close to doing a good job on the initial detail. The second weekend I had my car I did a very thorough cleaning, clay bar job, and followed that with a sequence of Menzerna polishing steps (Intensive Polish, Final Polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze, and finally FMJ - all applied via my Porter Cable buffer). I followed that the next weekend with another coat of FMJ.

The car looks far better than it did when it left the dealership and I have found this pattern to be true with the last 3 cars I have owned (Audi's and a Honda). The dealer detail shops (and the places they contract out to) don't spend anywhere near the kind of time I am willing to expend on my new cars and the differences are readily apparent.

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:35 pm

AlanL is right. I clayed my car when it was about one month old - I was amazed at the difference it made. I still prefer to apply polish by hand. It really does not take long to lay down a coat on a small car like the zed.

I have not tried it, but I have heard good things about the Klasse all-in-one product. Zaino now makes an all-in-one too.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Klasse is an excellent product(s).

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:51 pm

I have already clayed it, I don't know if y'all remember on the old Z4um website or not, but I posted my experiences with claying. My car is old, 2003, it's just that I've only had it five months.
I clayed, prep'd, waxed, then prep'd again, then waxed 3 more times. Each time allowing at least 8 hours of curing time between each wax. The results are extremely good, but I want an even deeper shine. I thought maybe with a very mild buffer, I just might get a smidgen more out of it.

Thanks for all the advice, y'all are great :friends:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:55 pm

And Blackfire make good products as well....must be operator error. :P