Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Autotrader Bad Idea!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Shidevil

Autotrader Bad Idea!

Post by Shidevil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:05 am

How many people spam you with pointless scam emails when you put your car on this site!

w1phil

Post by w1phil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:04 am

I'd recommend using a PAYG phone chip rather than your normal mobile number. When selling my wife's last car I got some lunatic threatening to "cut" me as I wouldn't agree his ridiculous price! With the PAYG you can just bin it once the car is sold and you don't get the canvassers pestering you on your normal mobile number.
I think pistonheads have a safe number system which filters the canvassers but no idea how effective this is.

Shidevil

Autotrader Bad Idea!

Post by Shidevil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 am

I have that mate, it's the constant emails I get. I'm pretty much just deleting them all at the moment. I get about 5 a day.

Sam_Roser

Re: Autotrader Bad Idea!

Post by Sam_Roser » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:44 am

I find it all to common peopple emailing saying they will pay the askng price if I ship the car out to Nigeria for their brother in law!! :? Yeah right...

Kryton

Post by Kryton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am

:roll:
Last edited by Kryton on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I sold my previous car through Autotrader.
No scammers, no dodgy phone calls, a couple of genuine enquiries, and sold it to first person who viewed it with no problems. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Sold another car on AT last weekend, ad' was on one day and the first to see bought it. I use the safe number system and don't publish an email. Correct valuation and simple fact filled ad's work every time for me.

IMO Value to sell = price of an equivalent age/mileage car within reasonable travelling distance (for that type or value of car), then minus £10. This gets you to the top of the search results, you are the first to be called and as long as the car is correctly described you have a sale at or very close to asking price since you are already the cheapest. Never failed me yet.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

jodale

Post by jodale » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 am

We have a free internet site available all over the US called CraigsList ( may be in Europe as well ).
It used to be a great site to sell just about anything. The idiots of the world have destroyed it and now if you post an ad you will be slammed with spam and bogus garbage. It's really a sham what the world is coming to. AutoTrader and any other way of publicly listing your phone number or email address is asking for grief.