Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Computer screen freezing

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Tring Man

Computer screen freezing

Post by Tring Man » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:05 pm

For no apparent reason, the computer/sat nav screen has started to freeze 5 to 10 mins into a journey. The controls have no effect, turning off/on using left hand knob has no effect. Does not matter what screen is selected (menu screen, sat nav, computer) it just freezes. What is strange is that the small read out in the speedo continues to work, so you can still see outside temp etc. which suggests OBC system is actually OK and proble is with display. Once ignition turned off/on, even for just a moment, results in it working again, for another 5 - 10 mins.

Until last few weeks, it has performed without issue.

Any ideas, could there be a loose connection somewhere ?

Any help appreciated.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Computer screen freezing

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Have you installed a non genuine BMW sat nav disk? That's the usual cause of such freezes.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Mine does the same now and then, but BMW have yet to replicate the issue in the 10 minutes they look at it each time.

It's so infrequent that I've gotten used to it, and I'm normally using a TomTom 1005 for directions/speedcams anyway.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Tring Man

Post by Tring Man » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:53 pm

It is not just sat nav that freezes, it can happen in mian menu, or the computer screen. It happens with the real BMW sat nav disk loaded, and on on every journey. :(

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:03 pm

I have this issue every few months too. It is still possible to select between radio / multidisc CD / dash CD, and tune the radio, even thought the screen remains blank. With mine, the car needs to be switched off for at least 30 minutes to allow the system to entirely power down.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Tring Man

Post by Tring Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:38 pm

That sounds like it, blue tooth and radio/ipod continue to work.

Regarding 30 mins, do you mean disconnecting battery for 30 mins solves the problem for a few months ?

jamiez

Post by jamiez » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi Guys. I've had this same problem in the past and BMW ended up having to replace something to solve it. I say something as it was not the screen, headunit or DVD player - plus it was under extended warranty so have no paperwork. In my situation it was the same but it only happened when on a certain road. BMW couldn't replicate it the first time round. I had to record it happening and provide BMW with the recordings then it was plain sailing. That's what I would advise to you mmm five.

Hope that helps. Jamie
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | OEM CSL's + MPSS | Extended Light Sepang Leather | Folding Mirrors | Stubby| BT | Prof Nav | DSP HiFi | Intravee | Privacy | Illuminated ZHP…

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Tring Man wrote:That sounds like it, blue tooth and radio/ipod continue to work.

Regarding 30 mins, do you mean disconnecting battery for 30 mins solves the problem for a few months ?
No, just switching off the ignition is enough. I believe some systems remain powered for sometime after the ignition is switched off, and certainly that would explain the need to leave the car for a while before it will reset. It may be necessary to lock the doors too, as unlocking initiates the sat nav (so it will be available to use immediately when the ignition turned on).

With mine, the problem is extremely infrequent so I'm not prepared to pay for it to be investigated as yet...
S2000 GT - gone

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Mine is now also doing this! As of this morning.

The radio etc controls still work but the display is frozen. It revives immediately if I turn the ignition off and on again.

Haven't had a chance yet to spot any pattern to the occurances, but it was pretty repeatable for me (5 or so minutes after turning the car on, each time).

Maybe tomorrow it will be in a different mood...?

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm

I wonder if Flimper is rolling about the floor with laughter right now :?
S2000 GT - gone

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Er... he might be?... ?...

(If this is some reference to a previous thread on the topic that I should have found before posting - apologies - I looked and didn't find it! :) )

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Once in a while you'll come across a reference to "Flimper spec" (usually on a thread that he's contributed to). This means not having sat nav, and vehemently protesting that you wouldn't want it anyway :D
S2000 GT - gone

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Ah OK, I get it!

Anyone heard of the problem, or has it currently? Hopefully next time I drive the car it'll be gone again... ghost in the machine... but... :)

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Happened to me again today... :?
S2000 GT - gone

wert

Post by wert » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I have this problem too on my 2004 Z4. Radio, cd-player and everything else works except the screen. The screen remains blank until I restart the car. Sometimes it doesn't help and I have to wait like 30mins to get the screen back on. Sometimes just switching the radio on/off helps and the screen comes back on. This problem happens like once or twice in a month. I think it has something to do with the dvd-player and the non original navigation dvd.