Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Weird tip of the day for the white nappa owners among us...

How-To articles are in here.
Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Ok, so after buying a handful of different products, and trying everything from kitchen roll to microfibre cloths, I couldn't find anything that would shift the ingrained dirt in the white leather nappa seats... until last night.

I've been cleaning them with some leather wipes in a tube for a while, and this has worked fairly well but has never shifted the ingrained dirt from when I acquired the car (bought it AUC/12 months old).

Digging out some Zymol in the hope that this might be better I set to work with this last night, and various rags to see what effect. Nada. No matter the cloth and no matter the product, the dirt was quite happy to stay.

At some risk, I remembered a JML (I know, laugh) product under the kitchen sink that I use to clean marks off walls and skirtingboard. Its called the JML Magic Eraser (just a sponge) and it was left in the house when I moved in many years back. I recall using it on walls etc and after a few rubs, it removes kick marks, scuffs etc. I'm guessing it must be the texture of the thing as there's no chemicals on it.

So, I squirted the Zymol on the seats, somewhere I wouldn't normally see, and wiped over the JML sponge, whammo, off comes all the dirt, a quick wipe with a kitchen towel to remove the left over and lovely leather is left behind!

It did no harm to the leather at all, in fact, now the Zymol's on there it feels lovely and soft, but this JML sponge thing is a marvel in a box (JML advert over!).

So if anyone else wants to try this, here you go: http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-50200447702 ... B00097ECGM

I've ordered another one to keep me going. I've now done the entire seat on the drivers side, and its like brand new, in fact, I had no idea they were this light! :lol:

JDM

Re: Weird tip of the day for the white nappa owners among us

Post by JDM » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Just placed my order.. Not that I have white interior. Hoping it will freshen up the yellow leather on my seats :D
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Ordered to - wifes 3 with light grey seats.... got to be worth a go. Thanks Maniac :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Darn, I should have set myself up as an affiliate :rofl:

Seriously though, it makes the job so easy, it brought so much muck off though that I had to be careful I didn't catch the alcantara with the mucky sponge. I never realised it was that dirty. Post some pics up when you try it, I'd love to see if it works as well for anyone else..

** Suppose all I would say is *be careful* and test it on a hidden spot first. I'd hate to recommend this and find out it ruins someone's leather!
Last edited by Maniac on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for that! I have one of those magic sponges somewhere at home!! :thumbsup:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:20 pm

It also pretty good for cleaning up the brushed aluminium dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosa

Post by Nosa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 pm

JimmyPop wrote:It also pretty good for cleaning up the brushed aluminium dash.
Hmmmm Interesting..........

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:59 pm

I'll look out at my local Robert Dyas, they sell lots of JML products.....

Chris Z4

Post by Chris Z4 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Excellent tip :thumbsup: Ordered two Tuesday after reading this thread and they arrived yesterday. Just need to try them now.

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:24 am

Anyone else have a nightmare with the White alcantara on the drivers seat above the shoulder where seat belt rubs?
Mines is black, clean it in the morning and it's black by the end of the day. No sign of grease or dirt on belt but it's the only thing that could be causing it :thumbsdown:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 am

Have you tried another seating angle? My belt never touches the alcantara on the seats when sat in the car or out...

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 am

shambolic wrote:Anyone else have a nightmare with the White alcantara on the drivers seat above the shoulder where seat belt rubs?
Mines is black, clean it in the morning and it's black by the end of the day. No sign of grease or dirt on belt but it's the only thing that could be causing it :thumbsdown:
White alcantara? That is asking for trouble...

I'd try the JML Magic Erraassseeerrrrrr! Only from JML!
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

Millz

Post by Millz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Pretty sure I read somewhere on DetailingWorld that those magic sponges take a bit of a layer off the leather which is how it 'cleans' it but degrades the life of the leather.

I'd avoid doing it !

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm

This you mean?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/a ... 38309.html

Can't see mention of leather, but yes someone mentioned abrasiveness. All I can say is that they work for me, they've removed a huge amount of dirt, and the leather seems just the same... just cleaner! I'll likely use it once a year as it takes that long to dirty the seats, so I'm not too concerned. GIven I've found nothing else that works, I've little option.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Those magic sponge things are great! Used one on my old flat when moving out. Wet with water and circular motions on paintwork too all tyre marks off the wall easily (MTB parked behind front door).
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0