Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Road Course pad recommendations wanted

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Road Course pad recommendations wanted

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:07 am

Taking my car on a HPDE in August at Heartland Park. Any recommendations on brake pads?

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:13 am

New ones! :evil:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:17 am

O.T.

Just an FYI
Got the skinny on the relationship between BMW CCA and ZSCCA: there is none.

BMW CCA's take on Special Interest Groups:
These Independent Groups are neither regulated or funded by BMW CCA, which takes not responsibility for the accuracy or timeliness of the information provided by them. We are, however, interested in the experiences that our members have with these groups and very much welcome your input...

So now you know that you don't have to call me sir or salute me. :rofl:

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:26 am

20ducks

So now you know that you don't have to call me sir or salute me.
Hope this doesn't pop your bubble. I never planned to anyway. :fuelfire:

I knew that they were all separate from one another. BMWCCA deals with all BMW's. ZSCCA only Z's, so I guess that makes me a snob. :stir:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:32 am

Let's see, regarding rank: weren't you a lifer on a sub, like a LTjg or CPO or poop deck chief? :P

IMZ4N

Post by IMZ4N » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:43 am

20ducks wrote:Let's see, regarding rank: weren't you a lifer on a sub, like a LTjg or CPO or poop deck chief? :P
NAH,

I saluted everyone and I worked forward of frame 37, which means I had air conditioning while everyone else cooked during the drills. No Brade for me, which mean I was no gentlemen. :thumbsup:

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:09 am

IMZ4N wrote:
20ducks wrote:Let's see, regarding rank: weren't you a lifer on a sub, like a LTjg or CPO or poop deck chief? :P
NAH,

I saluted everyone and I worked forward of frame 37, which means I had air conditioning while everyone else cooked during the drills. No Brade for me, which mean I was no gentlemen. :thumbsup:

Kewl. :hattip:

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:25 am

I hate to bring this thread back to it's topic, but what the heck.

Ducks - what is your experience level for track events? Is this a first event?

You may find that just making sure you have a fresh set of pads will be sufficient for the occasion. At the same time it's also true that you will be a little harder on your brakes when you are first getting started in tracking your car so a good street/track pad might your day a little more comfortable knowing you aren't likely to experience brake fade.

I have had very good luck with Carbotech brake pads and the XP-8 compound would work nicely for this. They can also work quite nicely for most intermediate drivers and I used them on my old S2000 roadster running in the instructor group with no overheating issues at all. Give them a call - you might be able to get by with just a set of front pads.

Carbotech

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:51 am

This will be my 2nd DE plus I autocross once per month. Carbo's may be a bit more than I need(?). Dunno. I'm going to contact Dave Z tomorrow but I am not that enthused with Axxis ULT's as I may need more than what they provide. Hawk HP10's are another candidate.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:07 am

Yes the Hawk's would also work fine. The Axxis Ultimates are not a good choice for road course work at all and have been known to start melting at track temperatures. They can make quite the mess out of your rotors if they do that.

I had to sand down a set of Stoptech rotors on one of my Audis when I took a set of Ultimates out to the track and Stoptech gave me an earful for having done that before they told me how to fix the problem.

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:52 am

I've looked at the comparision HPS vs HP Plus, looks Like HP Plus is the better choice for my use. Have you heard much feedback on these?

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:32 am

HP Plus is the minimum pad from Hawk you would want going out on the road course. The HPS pad won't take a lot of heat before it starts to deteriorate. HP Plus will tolerate higher heat ranges but are still very much a high end street pad and not a true track pad. HP Plus is a distinct step down from the Carbotech XP-8 in terms of workable heat tolerance.

You can likely get away with using the HP Plus as a daily driver pad as well as the track which does alleviate the hassles of swapping in/out pads trackside. That task is interesting the first few times around and gets old fast.

Hawk Blue pads are great track pads once they are heated up, but they will destroy rotors when they are cold and the pad deposits are incredibly corrosive. A few folks I know put the Blues on their Audis and left them on for street driving - big mistake. Rotor replacement followed that stint for all of them and a couple of them destroyed their wheels from the brake dust. Stoptech used to "rent" a set of blue pads out as a poor man's rotor turning aid - a couple of cold hard stops with those suckers on would scour your rotors as clean as any brake shop could ever do on a lathe.