Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2.5i manual vs. 3.0i auto(sports package)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
jwy777

2.5i manual vs. 3.0i auto(sports package)

Post by jwy777 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 am

anyone think that Z4 has to have a manual transmission to maximize its fun of driving?

but the 3.0i with sports package is pretty attractive as well....

biffa

Re: 2.5i manual vs. 3.0i auto(sports package)

Post by biffa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Someone was asking me about this just the other day.

Originally I was looking for a manual but couldn't find one in the spec I wanted so ended up with the auto and I couldn't be happier with it. Obviously it's great in traffic and normal daytime driving but I find it really good when going fast too. In auto mode it will change up perfectly on the redline without you having to watch the RPMs and in sport-enabled manual the changes are ridiculously fast - easily as fast as you could manage in a manual. Also as you learn the way the auto "thinks" you can basically control it through your right foot - force it to change up / down, hold a gear longer etc.

I'd heard all the horror stories - how many time did I hear the term "slush box" - but I can only assume these people have never driven a modern auto. I'm really glad I didn't hold out for a manual which might never have appeared.

Downsides? Economy takes a pretty big hit compared to the manual from some of the threads I've seen on here. I basically only get 28mpg and I don't drive that fast normally.

Somewhere around here is a link to a technical PDF about the auto box the Z4 uses. IIRC it has 7 (or maybe 11) modes offering different gearing characteristics - it decides which to use based on engine temp, outside temp, pitch, sport-mode, steering angle etc. Makes for pretty interesting reading if you're a huge nerd like me :roll: Sadly can't find the link right now. Must be on the forum somewhere.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes i think that Z4 has to have a manual transmission to maximize its fun of driving!
I was allso originally looking for a manual 3.0i but i could only find auto's at the time i was looking so ended up with a low mile 2.5i manual.
It's a bit hard to get in to first gear some times have to go 2nd 1st at lights, at red line it's a bit tight to get a good fast nice change up and yes the 2.5i only has a 5 speed box. But my last car was a triptronic auto and i didn't like it, at speed it wouldn't change down fast for the corners, if i lived in the US i would have gone for the auto as the roads have no corners and if i was old i allso would, I'm sure There are lots of Auto drivers that are going to disagree with me, But i think that only a manual box is a drivers car! That is my opinion that you asked for and i do not wish to ofend any one. :thumbsup:

Stromtech

Post by Stromtech » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Well I bought the 3.0L Six Speed with sport and premium packages... after test driving a similar automatic 3.0L with steptronic I decided I just could not live with an automatic. Just not the same driving experience at all. I'm stepping off my motorcycle into the Z4 and I don't want to give up the fun and control provided by a manual gearbox and a clutch. BTW, The coastal areas of North America are riddled with twisties....mountains and coasline ensure plenty of fun shifting runs. :driving:
2004 3.0i 6 speed, Sterling Grey, Premium, Sport and Convenience packages

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Stromtech wrote:, The coastal areas of North America are riddled with twisties....mountains and coasline ensure plenty of fun shifting runs. :driving:
Sounds good fun! What bike do you ride? i ride a Ducati 900 SuperLight!