Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Two buckets

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Liam-O

Two buckets

Post by Liam-O » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 pm

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php ... oc&docId=5

For everything you'll ever need to know about washing your car ;-)
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

Bing
Legend
Legend

Re: Two buckets

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm

inkey$ wrote:
pvr wrote:Clay - does not take that long. Ask Gannet - he did sell his car after I clayed half of it though :poke:
Do you do it in small sections PVR? And if so where do you start/finish?
According to friend of mine you should do this with polish and wax too - and overlap the bit you've just done to blend it in. She reckoned 4hrs to do the whole exterior properly from dirty to waxed.

What brand of microfibre do you use inkey$ ? I've never managed to figure out which are best, so just stuck with chamois.

I am loving this thread, though having to hide it from the other half...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Turbokid

Post by Turbokid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I would recommend having a read on a detailing forum before trying new processes like claying, if you get it wrong you will inflict swirls & RDS's. I learnt alot from reading how to's from the pro's.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 pm

No no no to chamois....a drying cloth is the way to go. Chamois keeps so much grit, single biggest cause of swirls after a dirty wash mit....

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Bing wrote:
inkey$ wrote:
pvr wrote:Clay - does not take that long. Ask Gannet - he did sell his car after I clayed half of it though :poke:
Do you do it in small sections PVR? And if so where do you start/finish?
According to friend of mine you should do this with polish and wax too - and overlap the bit you've just done to blend it in. She reckoned 4hrs to do the whole exterior properly from dirty to waxed.

What brand of microfibre do you use inkey$ ? I've never managed to figure out which are best, so just stuck with chamois.

I am loving this thread, though having to hide it from the other half...
4 hours?!? Thats valuable driving time! Microfibre wise I've got a mix. From Sonus (good quality) to a batch of cheapies I spotted in supermarket (6 for £2). Probably get chastised for using them but the cheapies actually arent bad and leave no bits of fluff etc.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Liam-O's link above is great - I shall have a read. As far as I can tell, the four hours of work only needs done once or twice a year max, if it's done right and you then wash & wax the car regularly, properly.

Seems that whilst I have already been trying hard to love my car, I am still not doing well enough and she will cost a bit more money yet - day by day, more and more like a second wife... :roll:

So far I need - another bucket, another mitt, some proper quality microfibre cloths to add to my collection, and of course 'product'. Then a good read, and a day free of work, family and rain. Followed by another to drive her around feeling smug :driving:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Bing wrote:Liam-O's link above is great - I shall have a read. As far as I can tell, the four hours of work only needs done once or twice a year max, if it's done right and you then wash & wax the car regularly, properly.

Seems that whilst I have already been trying hard to love my car, I am still not doing well enough and she will cost a bit more money yet - day by day, more and more like a second wife... :roll:

So far I need - another bucket, another mitt, some proper quality microfibre cloths to add to my collection, and of course 'product'. Then a good read, and a day free of work, family and rain. Followed by another to drive her around feeling smug :driving:
We look forward to that day and follow up thread with baited breath Bing :thumbsup:
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Im the same as Inkey$. :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Yeah, me too... Still got 9 days holiday to take before end of March, and that's with a week off booked next month already. I feel a weekend staring on Thursday coming on - I'll need a night's sleep for my arms to recover so I can drive :D

Don't hold your breath though, as it will likely not be till mid/end Feb now because yesterday I went all impulsive... But that's a story for another thread :whistle:

Citation 650

Post by Citation 650 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Bing, here's some other things you can do with all that time off. :poke:

More fun stuff

shambolic

Post by shambolic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Few guys mentioning sponges, DO NOT use a sponge as it traps dirt on the surface and can cause swirling on paintwork.
Always use a mitt as mentioned, two buckets(although I put a smaller amount of shampoo in second bucket too).
Then rinse, dry off, clay using meguirs kwikfit detailer as lube then wash again and dry using micro fibre towels.
I normally do wheels first using a couple of different brushes and a different coloured mitt. :thumbsup:
2016 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Indium grey.
2013 SLK 250CDI AMG Sport, Tenorite silver.
2012 transit van, white of course!
2004 Honda CRV (dog mobile) dirty blue!

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Citation 650 wrote:Bing, here's some other things you can do with all that time off. :poke:

More fun stuff
Fantastic link :thumbsup:

Turbokid

Post by Turbokid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm

shambolic wrote:Few guys mentioning sponges, DO NOT use a sponge as it traps dirt on the surface and can cause swirling on paintwork.
Always use a mitt as mentioned, two buckets(although I put a smaller amount of shampoo in second bucket too).
Then rinse, dry off, clay using meguirs kwikfit detailer as lube then wash again and dry using micro fibre towels.
I normally do wheels first using a couple of different brushes and a different coloured mitt. :thumbsup:
Some sponges are ok to use, some would say better than a mitt. The Zymol sponge is one, due to it's cellular structure and used correctly it won't cause scratches. This is an on going debate amongst the detailing community....sponge or mitt? I would say however as with any products use what works for you.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 pm

inkey$ wrote:
Citation 650 wrote:Bing, here's some other things you can do with all that time off. :poke:

More fun stuff
Fantastic link :thumbsup:
That's some serious cleaning... Not sure I could get away with spending that much time in my house, but some great tips - thanks !

As for sponges, well ditched except for wheels cleaning, and even then I think the one I have cost me about £9, which is certainly not cheap...

AJF

Post by AJF » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Clay all the way!!!

Doesn't feel natural at first, but well worth it for the results.

Took me the best part of a day to clay, but this was only two weeks ago and the clay kept going very hard so needed lots of needing, so i'm going to wait until summer to go again

Is it wrong to smile whilst you stroke your car!? :?
Z4 Coupe 3.0Si