Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retractable Hardtop problem

Z4 Beemer

Retractable Hardtop problem

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:44 pm

What with the nice sunny weather we had yesterday, I decided to put the roof down for a short drive, but today I'm getting all sorts of red warning messages about the roof. :evil:

Started off this morning when I got in the car and the red light on the roof button was immediately flashing red (I hadn't even put the key in the slot).

The check control then lit up red with a picture of the roof, and the iDrive was saying "Roof System" mixed with "Hardtop not secure" messages. The tray in the boot was in the up position, so the roof couldn't be moved anyway... but the boot couldn't be opened because it thought the roof wasn't where it should have been. :? I pressed the roof up button and the windows dropped but nothing else happened, then the windows wouldn't go back up! After some locking and holding the roof buttons I got the windows to go up.

Lowered the tray in the boot and tried moving the roof a few times but something not right. At the end of the operation it sometimes fails to put the windows back up and I get the red "Roof System" message. Also get this message intermittently, sometimes frequently, when driving along. Also, the code I got from the check control system was CC-ID 447 which I'll pass onto the dealer when its booked in, hopefully next week.

The 40 min trip to the dealers could be fun since every time the message appears you get the loud gong sound. :?

Is this a Sign to LooK at replacing before the warranty runs out in May? :P
Current: 2016 Audi S3 :: Navarra Blue
Gone: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i :: Deep Sea Blue
Gone: 2004 Z4 2.2i SE :: Maldives Blue

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Retractable Hardtop problem

Post by navid.v » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 pm

sorry to hear about your problems with the roof Z4 Beemer :) you don't really want a SLK, it's nowhere as nice as E89 and by the reviews even here, not as nice to drive :? hope it's nothing major and get it fixed soon.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks Navid. :thumbsup: will check my workload for next week tomorrow and give the dealers a phone. Will be using the A1 tomorrow. :D

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes is iT Time to look elsewhere, probably :D

Hope it gets sorted though, think the roof is my biggest worry long term, you know if it goes wrong it will be expensive
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:34 am

ThAnks for yoUr reply sars, the complex roof Does worry me also. I hope its just a sensor or something simple though.

Found this document on the web that describes the roof components in quite a bit of detail.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... whvA&pli=1

... and I've made a note of your suggestion! :D

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

lol my brother has the 3.2 normally aspiraTed car youre Thinking of. He loves it despite their being a million everywhere you look. Its the 4wd quattro. Hes had nothing but trouble and swears its put him off the brand. Its pot luck really. As for the roof being a major concern, well, my focus is on the DCT as a wallet buster...

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 am

Whether or not it's something to consider when you are weighing up changing the car, the SLK has its own set of problems. I know of a couple of people who had their SLK's slung on the back of a truck and taken back to the dealers for roof issues.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Post by lacroupade » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 pm

sp3ctre wrote:Whether or not it's something to consider when you are weighing up changing the car, the SLK has its own set of problems. I know of a couple of people who had their SLK's slung on the back of a truck and taken back to the dealers for roof issues.
....usually caused when a tin of hairspray rolls underneath the mechanism.... :driving:
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

jaz4

Post by jaz4 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 am

I had a TT for 3 months most of which I never had it but a replacement car, they kept on changing the replacements as they were for sale while repairing mine. at the end got a full refund and dropped the tt off at dealer whole beeing picked up in my new z4.

my 4th now and always have had extended wrty, never had them long enough to claim on, as i always get niggles fixd before the 3rd year and within the 4th move on.costs 40pm for piece of mind.

i would never consider a audi again.

p.s contractor has a 2 year old audi auto last week had new gear box, and eats tyres in less than 15K miles just saying
03 2.5 SE Fully loaded
06 2.5 Si Sports
08 2.5 Si Sports
10 30i Drive Auto
62 28i M Sport

tintin52

Post by tintin52 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Had same problems with same warning messages / warning lights and windows misbehaving when I got my Z4 last year. On first day of my ownership the roof refused to close properly - the main panel lifted into place but rear screen section would not move from above the main section. Final message I got was "Hydralic oil overheating". All I could do at that point was put roof down and take it to my local dealers. They had it about 3 days and problem turned out to be a faulty microswitch sensor in the boot compartment - main part of the fix was getting to the switch as dealer said it involved stripping out the boot compartment. No problems at all since though with either roof or windows.
Good luck with yours and hope you get it sorted quickly.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Its booked in for Friday. They could have taken it from Tuesday onwards, but too busy at work just now. I was out this morning in it and no messages at all, but won't attempt to move the roof again in case it locks up completely!

I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Z4 Beemer

Post by Z4 Beemer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Well, it seems a micro-switch has failed. Back to the dealers next Wednesday to get it fitted and apparently reprogramming is involved...?

JDM

Post by JDM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Glad you seem to be getting it sorted Gordon.. Hope you dont end up succumbing to the SLK temptation :wink:
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 pm

My 645 Conv went in over 30 times for the same roof problems, including 2 trips back to the factory, had it replaced with a 650.....they settled my negative equity lease, and sold me the car new, on a 57 plate for £21,000. I sold it for £50K after a month and bought the RRS!

JDM

Post by JDM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Nickm wrote:My 645 Conv went in over 30 times for the same roof problems, including 2 trips back to the factory, had it replaced with a 650.....they settled my negative equity lease, and sold me the car new, on a 57 plate for £21,000. I sold it for £50K after a month and bought the RRS!
Wow... Don't hear of stories like that very often.. Guess that made all the troubles kind of worthwhile eh? :wink:
04 3.0SE Roadster, 07 3.0Si Coupe, 12 2.0iSdrive M Sport... Gone but not forgotten

Now proud owner of an Audi TT TFSI S line, Misano Red Amplified black edition... Don't shoot me.