Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LUX Angel Eyes

How-To articles are in here.
Z4-35i

LUX Angel Eyes

Post by Z4-35i » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:31 pm

I purchased and fitted these last week after a lot of indecision on spending a significant amount of cash on what is a effectively a pair of bulbs. I'm very happy with the results however and although they are not as bright as the BMW Angel Eyes on the latest models, they do look a lot better and appear brighter than the standard Z4 ones.

Fitting was very straight forward, here's some pictures taken from the install. I'll add some of what the lights look like when it eventually stops raining.

1. Remove the plastic covers to get access to the OEM bulbs, then remove the light grey plug connecting the wiring to the bulb holder. You need to gently prise out the bottom of the two clips shown by the yellow arrows in the photo below.

2. To remove the OEM bulb and bulb holder you have to rotate the bulb holder just under a quarter of a turn. Looking at the car from the front, you rotate inwards towards the center of the engine bay. The arrow shows the direction of rotation for the left side, for the right side the rotation direction is reversed. These are fitted quite tight, or at least my ones were, some gripper gloves help get a good grip to rotate the bulb holders.

Picture of OEM bulb and bulb holder.

3. To make it easier to fit the new LUX Angel Eyes, you need to line up the new bulb in the same orientation as the OEM bulb holder and mark (with a piece of tape) where the top of the bulb will be once it's rotated into it's locked position. The following picture shows the OEM and LUX Angel Eye bulbs, note that the three tabs on both bulbs are lined up in the same orientation.

4. Slot the new LUX Angel Eye into the light housing, lining up the tape marker, approx. a quarter of a turn off of the top of the light fitting. Rotate the bulb into position, this time you are rotating the bulb away from the center of the car's engine bay for the left and right bulbs respectively. I put a very light smear of silicone grease onto the red rubber O-ring on each bulb to help ease it into position.

5. Connect the light grey plastic connector onto the LUX Angel Eye socket as shown below. Note the sealed black plastic box which contains the LUX Angel Eye electronics.

6. The black plastic box that contains the electronics module needs to be placed inside the plastic light housing, you could just drop it in, but I used some double sided trim tape to secure it to the side of the light housing as shown below.

7. Test the lights and replace the plastic light housing covers and you're all done.

Pictures of the installed lights to follow, when it eventually stops raining ...

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: LUX Angel Eyes

Post by AlanJ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Great write up :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Seems easy enough. Any chance of a day and night photo of them running?

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 pm

These are brighter than the MTEC ones?

cjp2k

Post by cjp2k » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks for that any photos of them switched on?
Gone.....Z4 2.3 sDrive, Black, Black Leather, I drive, Sound upgrade and a couple more bits..6 cylinder symphony

Now 520d, Beige Leather, I drive, VDC, BMW Individual Wood trim, Memory Seats, Powered Boot...55mpg!

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 am

I'll get some pictures posted up showing how the lights look during the day and at night by the weekend.

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:12 pm

LUX Angel Eyes taken this afternoon when we had some sunshine. :D

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:10 pm

What the cost of these and where from?

I've the MTEC one in my 1 Series which are better than OEM, but these look better still.

Also any before pics?

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 pm

I purchased them directly from Cartronics, who are an official UK LUX dealer, as they are close by to me.

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/

They were £250. I did find another online retailer who was selling them for just over £200 in the UK, but I wanted to buy from a physical shop as I've had a few issues with some other online retailers recently.

I'll try to get some dusk and night pictures next week to post up.