Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best soft top cleaner/protectant

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:56 am

yeah, that's the thing about ragtopp... I think it is very good, but where my house it there always seems to be wind... end up losing half the protectant in the wind.

Going to give the autoglym one a try today
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Okay, it has been awhile since I cleaned and protected my top (hood). So I ambled up to my BMW dealer and got the BMW stuff. I used Raggtopp last time on my 03. So this stuff is sponge on...hmmmm. Reading the instructions I did the math :smart: to figure out the ratio is 1:10. Well, I used 2 oz stuff/ 20 oz water. I've got enough left over to do 2 more cars. Did I just mix too much or do I apply - sun dry - reapply? Hell, the instructions call for the entire bottle to be mixed/used??? For what a circus marqee? Anyone got a clue here for me?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:02 pm

I seem to remember I used half the bottle last time.... although I did have some left over too... I actually applied it, sun dried it (best you can in the UK) then applied ragtopp protectant over the top...I guess I didn't trust that the sponge on stuff would do anything... anyway, it worked a treat, beaded for ages afterwards... I just don't know if it was the BMW stuff or the ragtopp at work :lol:

Just applied the autoglym stuff... seemed to go on ok, but it seemed to say that you should "wipe off excess foam with a damp cloth".... well, I tried that... every time the damp cloth went on more foam appeared. I wasnt sure if I was supposed o get it all off. I guess not, as otherwise it would've said "hose off", so I jus let it soak in, then applied the protectant. Will see how it goes once it dries in a few hours!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:07 pm

Mine is dry....now for the second application. :|

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:47 pm

3 applications. I think one should wear protection when applying this stuff. I can't wash my hands cause all the water just beads up!! :ROFL2:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:06 pm

20ducks wrote:3 applications. I think one should wear protection when applying this stuff.
eh?? How would that help??? What ARE you doing to your car?
20ducks wrote:I can't wash my hands cause all the water just beads up!! :ROFL2:
...ahhh, I understand now, you mean "wear gloves" ;)

:lol:

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:06 pm

sp3ctre wrote:
20ducks wrote:I think one should wear protection when applying this stuff.
eh?? How would that help??? What ARE you doing to your car?
20ducks wrote:I can't wash my hands cause all the water just beads up!! :ROFL2:
...ahhh, I understand now, you mean "wear gloves" ;)

:lol: