Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Euro Trip – Nürburgring trip - Update!! Were Back

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
tomTVR

Re: Euro Trip – Nürburgring trip + CityStops Weekender 29/03

Post by tomTVR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Stuart we are making no secret of the fact that most UK insurance policies don't cover you on the track. Most of us will be driving without insurance, driving carefully, one guy (with the 350z) comes with us every year but doesn't drive on track - his choice. Likewise as Patrick says theres the option of insurance and people can make their own mind up. There will be plenty of passenger rides going if you don't want to.

There's just a bit of negativity on this discussion about the trip; "don't stay at the Dorint because it's crap", "don't go at easter because it's too busy", "don't go to the 'ring to spectate as it's boring", "don't drive without insurance" even though most people don't take out insurance, most people opt to drive carefully and of those 99% dont crash, but yes theres still a risk.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 pm

That's as maybe, but I'm not being negative, suggesting staying at home, or that it's crap. On the contrary I've said what a great trip it seems to be and I'd like to do it.

I'm just responding to Woots' thoughts on insurance. I very much doubt anyone of you would advocate driving on any other road without insurance, why this one? It's a public road, albeit a toll road and the German laws apply. Be properly prepared, legally covered, and have an awesome trip.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am

Tom, there's also an awful lot of positive comments on this thread, along with some good encouragement for people to give it a try.

If people ask questions, it's only fair that people give honest answers.

As for insurance, you are legally insured to drive the Ring, however if you have an incident and a third party becomes involved it will become very very messy and very very expensive, and that includes offs due to your fluid spills. Your insurance company will sue you for payment of their 3rd party losses and will not recompense you for your own car damage.

In the 20 years I've been going, I've not personally know anyone who has been caught up in such an insurance incident. I have had mates crash there, one on a bike and one writing of a Ferrari and both being paid out by UK insurers, the latter even had the £5k track bill paid.

Be a bit restrained and don't get caught up racing someone else. The likelihood of an off is very very low.

I've never had a bad trip to the Ring, and I'll be returning twice again this year.

tomTVR

Post by tomTVR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 am

Guys forgive my tone, it's just this thread sounds like a planning meeting at times rather than a Q&A for potential participants. When the dates, times, places and broad itinerary are already set. It's not somthing we will be profiting from, simply we have a great time doing this every year so want to share it with anyone who wants to join. :) I've done quite a few 'ring trips (although not as many as you Lance!) and hoons around Europe and I've learnt what makes a trip good/bad, everything is done for a reason :)

Regarding insurance as Lance says you are legally fine to drive but your insurance will recover 3rd party damages from you. Yes there is the potential you could wipe out a Veyron and end up in a real mess. Likewise if you have a big crash and they close the track they will charge you something like £2,000 an hour but if you have an accident that bad I would be far more worried about your health than the track! Both of those scenarios aren't worth worrying about.

In reality the two things you need to consider are:

1. Damaging your own car
2. Damaging the track, they charge you something like 100 euros per meter of armco for example and they charge you for recovery

Sods law says I stuff into the wall now!

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 am

Stuart Truman wrote:Sorry Patrick, I disagree. People are thinking about taking their P&J on a trip to the ring and driving on the circuit and this thread is about joining that trip. Part of that discussion is about being prepared. Whether that's hotels, ferry times or insurance it's all part of the planning. It's OK for those who've done it before and know all the gotchas, for others who haven't this is surely the place to discuss it.
If anyone is interested on this matter please PM and I will give all the details. Or alternatively review the hundreds of post all over the internet about it. I do not want this turning into a 50 page debate about what’s someone’s brother dog does when they go to the ring. The majority of posts have been great and very useful I really appreciate that and wish for it to carry on. So thanks everyone for that

So sorry if I sound harsh on this but I want to keep it on topic, also the matter has now been raised for anyone considering the trip that this is a real factor to consider. (Edited first post as well)

So please PM if concerned or wish to discuss your options in depth :)

Rent 4 Ring Prices (You can then have your sticker! :D ) - My Personal Route - Split between a few of us cheap as chips :D

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals ... leife.html

Basic Price full Day - £293 (Split a few ways is not bad at all)
Inclusive Prices - £588 (Split a few ways includes fuel, and lap costs)

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php

This is all the detail on the matter that you could wish for :thumbsup:

This issue is that you buying track day insurance ....NOT public day insurance therefore rendering the "majority" of polices actually no good. :( .. Track insurance cost around £250 per day upwards or 1.5% of your car value. I would rather destory someone else clutch, brakes , tyres etc :driving: hence the rings cars for me.

Cheers

Paza

Z4 Coupe

Post by Z4 Coupe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 am

I went over in the Z4 last year and rented from Rent4Ring. Great setup and what Dale doesn't know about the ring isn't worth knowing (he does a regular ring side seat blog over at Pistonheads).

They do a great safety briefing for first timers which helped out a lot.

Great fun and I'd highly recommend it.

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Right Guys

I have spoken to

http://www.ryanmi.com/

UK insurer offering ring insurance for public days , its 180-200 quid. There is a 1500 quid excess , upto a value of 18k I think he said. :)

I do not think that is that bad?, hope this helps matters of insurance discussions

Cheers Paza

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Chaps, sadly I can't make this as I'll be in Oz. I just wanted to chip in to the insurance element of your thread as I've used Ryan Motorsport Insurance before and found the company can be a little pricey (at least for UK track days). From my experience, this company is only about 60-70% of the price and offers similar cover: http://moris.co.uk/ so might be worth checking out too.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 am

The insurance issues have been covered above pretty well. 3rd-party liability is the most difficult one for us Brits, and the risk is real. Especially when you consider the outside chance of a biker going down on a fluid spill you caused, and putting himself in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.... Apart from not being something worth thinking about, the hospital/care bills are not something I would want landing at my door, or being chased for.

Paza3, does the policy you stated cover any 3rd-party liabilities? In my experience, a lot of these track policies don't.

The risks of the above happening are of course low though, and you can reduce the chances further by just carrying out some basic checks before you go out, and not going mad when you're out there. 99% of the accidents I see at the 'Ring are single-vehicle, and are caused by someone going too fast, too soon, either through inexperience or complacency of the circuit.

Just take it easy out there if it's your first time. Treat the track as you would a B-road hoon in the UK, and NOT as a trackday, and you'll likely come out fine :)

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Sixspeed

No third party ... so I have decided myself to hire a Stage 2 Track car , we sharing it between 3 of us and works out around £100 each for the day , main thing it has third part cover ... if you total the excess is 2500 which is punchy but standard I guess

So far trip preparation:

2 x New Continentals - Done
Full Service – Oil & Filters - Wednesday
Full Inspection done to make sure trip ready –Done
Hid Kit Upgraded – Not Fitted yet
Led Side lights – Not fitted Yet
All EU Required kit , first Aid, etc etc - Done

To Come......

Carbon Fibre Gear knob and handbrake ... Hopefully
GT2 Cup Twin Induction Kit - Hopefully
997 GT3 Short Shift Kit - Hopefully

Maahhaaawaaa :D

+ Although I have spoken to Ryan Motorsport and they expect to have a third party cover by end of Feb 2013 :D
Last edited by Paza3 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Sounds like an epic trip. The track hire car looks like the most sensible idea. What do you get?
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

This little puppy , reckon it will be awesome fun , reality is I would not use 40% of what the 911 can offer . Where I reckon I can get 80-90% out of this equalling more fun :driving:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals ... ml#list262

Suzuki Swift Stage 2
Info
The latest incarnation of the Suzuki Swift Sport, the new model builds on all the strengths of the previous model while losing nothing. Likewise, Rent4Ring have worked on improving our Stage 2 specification with new components...

• Stripped out and fitted with a full Weichers rollcage, racing seats and harnesses
• Upgraded with Öhlins DFV suspension and modified geometry
• Toyo R888 grooved semi-slicks fitted to wider, lightweight, 15" Motec alloys
• Racing four-into-one exhaust and sports air intake
• Upgraded brakes with top-spec Endless Racing pads, fluid and hoses.
• More power (136hp) than the previous model
• Six-speed gearbox

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 pm

That looks like a heap of fun!

Woody

Post by Woody » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm

€2k for the M3!

Z4 Coupe

Post by Z4 Coupe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I rented the Suzuki Swift stage 2 and although not that quick (plenty quick enough for your first time) the handling was fantastic!

It gave you real confidence and you can get it with the steering wheel on the proper side.

I've got to stop looking at this thread it's making me really want to go again.