Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Paying for washing & detailing

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
takedown8

Paying for washing & detailing

Post by takedown8 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm used to washing and detailing my Zed all myself so this concept is new to me. But since I have so little free time now, I may use the services of a local, reputable, detailer. His costs:

Carwash $30 (handwash, dry, wheels & wheel wells, door jambs, tire dressing, soft top, spray wax)

Full detail $185 - essentially all of the above but with polish, wax, sealant, interior cleaning & shampoo, leather & interior cleaning & protection

The full detaily every 6 months for me was killer. It would take me like 6 hours or so to do it. So I think $185 is totally worth it. But the car wash....a bit pricey. For those of you who pay for handwashes, how much do you pay? For the rest of you, how much do you think is reasonable?
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:14 pm

That's not too far out at all. We have a group of enthusiasts here in the NW that started their own business on the side and do outstanding detail work but they do charge a little more than that. They also have a waiting list at those prices too:

Mirrorworks price list

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

Thork

Post by Thork » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:56 pm

$15 USD plus tip for hand wash, interior, etc. here in S.Florida It saves a lot of time and the do an excelent job, but I still do the wax and detailing myself
Last edited by Thork on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enfield

Post by enfield » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Just get the permashine with the 3M bra. Take it through the carwash and be done with it man! It's just a car.... :oops:
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Run it through a Carwash??? You should have your mind washed out with soap for saying such a thing! :violent1:

I don't let anyone else lay a hand on my cars but I do admit that I am very picky about my car finishes. Image

Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

zednik

Post by zednik » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:42 pm

I won't annoy you guys with my system, I've been scolded enough. :(
AKA......Lord Febreeze

takedown8

Post by takedown8 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:48 pm

enfield wrote:Just get the permashine with the 3M bra. Take it through the carwash and be done with it man! It's just a car.... :oops:
You forget about my soft top, enfield. I'm scared to death of leakage going through those things. I don't trust machines, that's all.

Do you guys tip detailers and car washing places? (of course, not the automatic carwash places) If so, how much? The usual 15-20%?
2005 Z4 3.0i, Maldives Blue, Beige int, Black top

enfield

Post by enfield » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:11 pm

takedown8 wrote:
enfield wrote:Just get the permashine with the 3M bra. Take it through the carwash and be done with it man! It's just a car.... :oops:
You forget about my soft top, enfield. I'm scared to death of leakage going through those things. I don't trust machines, that's all.

Do you guys tip detailers and car washing places? (of course, not the automatic carwash places) If so, how much? The usual 15-20%?
When I had my ///M "Roaster" I took it through Sunoco's eco-wash and never sprung a leak.
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

rosierobins

Post by rosierobins » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:50 pm

I never got a car detailed until about 6 months ago. Its $199 initially then if you go every 6 months its $150. It includes all you say. I think it great because they do the permaplate inside and out.

Last time for the first time ever I had dents fixed and it was another $150 for 3 dents and the scratches were repainted at no cost by the detailer. He has a dent puller come in.

Rosie

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:58 pm

zednik wrote:I won't annoy you guys with my system, I've been scolded enough. :(
Ehem... we're not letting you get away with it that easily now. :!:

So HOW many times so far this year? :lol: :lol:

AlanL, I've been thinking about that Mirrorworks place. Is it pretty reputable? And is there anybody else in the PNW that would like to see if we can get a group detail? :scratchhead:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:AlanL, I've been thinking about that Mirrorworks place. Is it pretty reputable? And is there anybody else in the PNW that would like to see if we can get a group detail? :scratchhead:
Rick - I know these guys pretty well as they are all Audi enthusiasts I have known since I owned Audis myself several years ago. They have earned quite a reputation amongst high end car folks in the Seattle area for doing very amazing work. They have done several group deals in the past with the Audi crowd both up in Seattle as well as here in the Portland area.and I would imagine that they would be willing to the same with any group who wanted to try to arrange something.

If you are looking for a really high end detail job you would probably do better to go in alone - they typically want your car for more than a day for that but this is type of service you might do for a Ferrari that is about to be put into a show and not a daily driver. They do quite a bit of work along those lines these days.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Rick - Here is a link to the last detail day Mirrorworks did down here in Portland last March to give you an idea of what can be arranged:

PDX Detail day

zednik

Post by zednik » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:19 am

Rick,
Ok, since Christmas '06 I'm up to 4 washes. You guys with convertibles will be gratified to know that I did the Ragg Top clean and spray treatment as well on my most recent wash 3 weeks ago.

See, I'm not a complete barbarian. :roll:

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:39 am

Has it actually rained down in San Diego since Christmas '06? :lol:

Some of us actually have weather where we live.

20ducks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 20ducks » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:00 am

I've read enough, I may become sick now..... :sick: