Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Squeaky Brakes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JayD

Squeaky Brakes

Post by JayD » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Plenty of life left in the pads, doesnt squeak under hard braking, only when crawling along really and then light pressure to stop the car.

Anyone else had this?

Cheers

Jay

Tetchmeister

Post by Tetchmeister » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:52 am

Not me.....

PeteH

Post by PeteH » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:58 am

Hi Jay,

It could be a small stone trap between the caliper/brake pad and the disc. I've had this problem a few times on some of my cars.

Cheers,

Pete.
2006 - Z4M Roadster, Sapphire Black, Imola Red Leather, CSL 19's & all the toys!
2007 - E90 320D M Sport, Le Mans Blue, Hartge Engine Upgrade

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:06 am

I had it on the stock pads... only when crawling veeeery sloooowwwly.... I have since swapped to Axxis pads, and bedded them in properly and don't get any noise at all.
Last edited by sp3ctre on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

JayD

Post by JayD » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 am

Cheers for the comments guys.

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:09 pm

bedding in process

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:56 am

Yes - had this problem so many times over the years on cars

Usually traced it down to 1 of 2 things
Pads becoming glazed or not bedded in properly
Broken pad retainers/springs or not bonded to caliper as appropriate.

Happens on the Z4 each time I wash it so that's just surface rust. On X5 cured only after fitting new pads (Axxis) as mentioned above as it happens
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

flyboyaj

Post by flyboyaj » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:53 am

Had this on mine when I first got her. Turned out that they were new brakes and just needed to be bedded in. Only lasted about the first 3 weeks then just went away.
Member ZSCCA

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:18 am

Your friendly local auto parts store sells a special type of lubricant that is designed to alleviate this problem. Before you jump off the deep end, this is a compound you apply between the shims on the backside of the brake pad - not the business side of the pad.

Most of the squealing you hear are vibrations between the pad backing and the pots on the caliper and the anti squeal compound helps dissipate that.

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

JayD

Post by JayD » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 am

AlanL wrote:Your friendly local auto parts store sells a special type of lubricant that is designed to alleviate this problem. Before you jump off the deep end, this is a compound you apply between the shims on the backside of the brake pad - not the business side of the pad.

Most of the squealing you hear are vibrations between the pad backing and the pots on the caliper and the anti squeal compound helps dissipate that.
Thanks Alan, I will have a look out for some of this. It isnt bad just annoying more than anything.

Yal

Post by Yal » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:14 pm

AlanL wrote: Most of the squealing you hear are vibrations between the pad backing and the pots on the caliper and the anti squeal compound helps dissipate that.
I once had a friend tell me exactly that. But he kept insisting that it wasn't a noise, it was a vibration. I kept telling him that it was a noise. We went back and forth for about 5 minutes with him getting more and more frustrated when I finally told him that you couldn't have a noise without a vibration. To this day, I don't think he understands my point.

I love to pick the most stupid point and argue passionately about it.

AlanL

Post by AlanL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Yal wrote: I once had a friend tell me exactly that. But he kept insisting that it wasn't a noise, it was a vibration. I kept telling him that it was a noise. We went back and forth for about 5 minutes with him getting more and more frustrated when I finally told him that you couldn't have a noise without a vibration. To this day, I don't think he understands my point.

I love to pick the most stupid point and argue passionately about it.
:rofl:

2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe - Silver Gray, Black Extended Leather, Dark Birch trim
Premium pkg, Sports Pkg, M seats, Clear Bra, Heated seats, NAV, DICE, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s

BMW^Z4

Post by BMW^Z4 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:51 am

clean them with pressure washer before you make any changes ...
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...

kalayl

Post by kalayl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm

I had squeaking after my first track day. We really cooked the brakes that day and my buddy made the mistake of leaving his foot on the brakes after we came to a stop. Result: the discs bear a nice outline of the pads.

Anyway, I think we glazed a part of the disc and ever since then they start squeaking in stop-start traffic.

GVfB

Post by GVfB » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm

remove the retainer clips from the brake calipers, clean them of and re-insert. That might solve the problem as well.